Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Al Shades
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi there,

I've been searching for an effective cap remover for IWD and both of its expansions (not just the original). My characters are all around level 30, as I just beat HoW and have started TotL (HoF mode). Before starting TotL, I downloaded and installed the Level 40 Cap Rules from this page:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/index_teambg.php

However, I am not sure if the patch works in accordance with the natural level progression of D&D (such as in the BGII expansion). I have a feeling that it may be overpowering my characters, which is not the effect that I desire.

Here are the stats on my level 33 pure fighter:

THAC0:
-11 (-22)

At lvl 30, before I used the cap remover, he had 0. As soon as I leveled him past 30, the THAC0 jumped down to the level it is at now. Isn't this too low for his level?

Also, he has 208 buffed HP (not base). He had about 192 at level 30, before the cap remover. Is he gaining it too fast?

Furthermore, if my cap remover is, indeed, faulty, can anyone tell me where I can find one that works?
I'm aware of the one on the IronWorks page, but I assumed that it was only for IWD.

[ 11-11-2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Al Shades ]
Al Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Otto
The Magister

Natural THAC0 for fighters in IWD bottoms out at 20th level with THAC0=1.

This is per 2nd ed. AD&D rules: fighters begin at THAC0=20 and decrease by 1 each level until 20th level, at which point THAC0=1.

If you have THAC0= -11 (-22), then your patch is overpowering your fighter.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
Al Shades
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, my characters were nearly 30, so it makes sense that THAC0 was below 0 before applying the patch. It's a shame that the patch doesn't work properly. What does the number in paranthesis stand for?

Thanks

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a working cap remover? I've seen this question posted a few times before, but nobody seems to answer it entirely.

[ 11-13-2004, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Al Shades ]
Old 11-13-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

The number in parentheses is your character's modified Thac0. Modifiers include bonuses from strength, magical items, spells, racial enemies, dexterity (if using a missile weapon), etc.

Sorcerer's Place has both an XP cap modifier (allowing you to get up to level 40) and an XP cap remover (which apparently removes the cap limit entirely). I haven't used these myself, so I can't speak to the efficacy or potential lack thereof of these downloads.

Edit: You say the cap remover you have (which I just noted you got off the site I posted above, oh well) isn't working for you. Are you positive? With a standard Thac0 progression, e.g. an improvement of -1 for each and every fighter level, a Thac0 of -11 for a lvl 33 fighter seems right; Thac0 is equal to [21 - character level], and you have to count zero as well. Not sure about the HP. I don't play much on HoF, so my characters don't get up that high.

On an extensive Google search, Sorcerer's Place was the only site I found from which you could download the cap remover. It doesn't seem that any of the mods remove the cap either. I suggest you fire off a private message to icelus with this query; he doesn't check in here that often, but he is the king of the mods. I don't use them myself, so the best I can do is point you in his direction.

And welcome to the forums, Al! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 11-13-2004, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 11-14-2004, 02:28 AM   #5
Al Shades
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you very much for the info. I don't know for sure that the remover I tried is faulty, but I suspected it was due to the fact that my character goes from having a 0(-11)THAC0 at level 30 to -11(-22) at 31, with no change in equipment.

[ 11-14-2004, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Al Shades ]
Old 11-14-2004, 04:09 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't think it is. Perhaps the minimum Thac0 you can get without the remover is 0, no matter the character level. I suspect that the level remover takes the minimum Thac0 away and replaces it with the 1-for-1 (Thac0 to level) ratio instead.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Otto
The Magister

Supposedly, the minimum natural THAC0 you can get is 1, which is achieved at 20th level. It should not go any lower, regardless of whether you are 25th or 35th level. Modified THAC0 will be lower due to various bonuses. If natural THAC0 is less than 1 then your patch is overpowering your fighter.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:43 AM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't think it's the patch that is overpowering the fighter, in the sense that it is not operating the way it's supposed to; I am assuming that the cap remover tinkers with the minimum Thac0 in addition to the maximum XP.

A lvl 33 (or lvl 30) character is overpowered, period. Unless it somehow fails a saving throw, it's practically invulnerable.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:

A lvl 33 (or lvl 30) character is overpowered, period. Unless it somehow fails a saving throw, it's practically invulnerable.
True! For the monsters in IWD a level 30 (and higher) character is too powerful. And it's not the patch's fault.
If you want to have a level 30 character whose Thaco is capped at level 20 you might just as well get a level 20 one.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:04 AM   #10
Al Shades
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Not in HoF mode! My characters are equipped superly with the very best armor in the game (AC for each is below -10) and they still take massive damage in some fights - even with protective spells!