Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Eagle eye
Elminster

Default Missing link found?

Scientists unveil fossil of 47 million-year-old primate, Darwinius masillae

From NY Daily News
Quote:
A team of researchers Tuesday unveiled an almost perfectly intact fossil of a 47 million-year-old primate they say represents the long-sought missing link between humans and apes.

Officially known as Darwinius masillae, the fossil of the lemur-like creature dubbed Ida shows it had opposable thumbs like humans and fingernails instead of claws.

Scientists say the cat-sized animal's hind legs offer evidence of evolutionary changes that led to primates standing upright - a breakthrough that could finally confirm Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.

"This specimen is like finding the Lost Ark for archeologists," lead scientist Jorn Hurum said at a ceremony at the American Museum of Natural History.

"It is the scientific equivalent of the Holy Grail. This fossil will probably be the one that will be pictured in all textbooks for the next 100 years."

A team of amateur fossil hunters discovered the near-perfect remains inside a mile-wide crater outside of Frankfurt in 1983.

Experts believe the pit was a volcanic caldera where scores of animals from the Eocene epoch were killed and their remains were kept remarkably well-preserved.

Though the pit has been a bountiful source of other fossils, the inexperienced archeologists didn't realize the value of their find.

Years later, the University of Oslo bought the 95%-intact fossil, and Hurum studied it in secret for two years.

His colleague, Jens Franzen, hailed the discovery as "the eighth wonder of the world."

"We're not dealing with our grand, grand, grandmother, but perhaps with our grand, grand, grand aunt," Franzen said.

The unveiling of the fossil came as part of a carefully-orchestrated publicity campaign unusual for scientific discoveries."
Eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Happy Re: Missing link found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle eye View Post
Scientists unveil fossil of 47 million-year-old primate, Darwinius masillae

From NY Daily News
Wow teh missing link!!!! That's epic!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Missing link found?

You guys are late,,,,I met the missing link last week in a bar.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

All I see is some old bones. And plenty of assumptions and faith-based statements. Besides... how am I descended from my "great aunt" pray tell?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
All I see is some old bones. And plenty of assumptions and faith-based statements. Besides... how am I descended from my "great aunt" pray tell?
My guess would be that based on evolutionary theories this creature would be of a neighboring branch on the "tree of life"

But I have to say I'm with Yorick on the conclusion.

An evolutionist (yes I'm generalizing) will say that it's an ancestral creature to humans. A creationist or a proponent of I.D. would say look at the common features made by the same designer. Personally, I can't put trust in the lineage based solely on some similar bone structures. Now, if there were a genetic profile, there might be something to go on.

Add: Oh look, I'm a vampire now. Everyone to Cloudy's drinks are on me, today. Tonight, they're on you.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
My guess would be that based on evolutionary theories this creature would be of a neighboring branch on the "tree of life"

But I have to say I'm with Yorick on the conclusion.

An evolutionist (yes I'm generalizing) will say that it's an ancestral creature to humans. A creationist or a proponent of I.D. would say look at the common features made by the same designer. Personally, I can't put trust in the lineage based solely on some similar bone structures. Now, if there were a genetic profile, there might be something to go on.

Add: Oh look, I'm a vampire now. Everyone to Cloudy's drinks are on me, today. Tonight, they're on you.
So you believe neither theory then?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
So you believe neither theory then?
What's wrong with suspending belief or judgement?
Being agnostic about the finding is perfectly legit.
I however, am a sceptic. I don't just mutely accept the proclamations of the priest-scientists declaring it to be my auntie, let alone that it proves I descended from her.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well, I'm asking him for real. I am unclear about where he stands. You're implying he stands between, this is what I am checking.

So you should be skeptical. A rational person has a fair degree of skepticism alongside an equal degree of open-mindedness.

I am confused about this term. "Priest-scientists" or "priests/scientists"?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Well, I'm asking him for real. I am unclear about where he stands. You're implying he stands between, this is what I am checking.

So you should be skeptical. A rational person has a fair degree of skepticism alongside an equal degree of open-mindedness.

I am confused about this term. "Priest-scientists" or "priests/scientists"?
Scientists are the priests of their religion. A religion complete with Dogma, heresies, schisms, worldviews and the like. They preach via the media, to their faithful flock who have complete faith their assumption-leaps about their discoveries are true. And who then respond with taxpayer-funding.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Interesting article with a different view. Honestly, makes a lot of sense to me.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote