Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

I'm certain, beyond doubt, that this must have been posted countless times. However, I'm trying, with difficulty, to spark some life into a rather bare forum so help me out will you? My question is which did you prefer; Icewind Dale 1 or 2.
For myself, I, marginally, prefered IWD2 as of the wider variety of characters, enemies, missions, weapons, spells, places.... everything really. However, I cannot take anything away from Icewind Dale 1 which successfully hooked me and, without it, I may have never bought IWD2, BG1 or NWN. In fact I may have never even have found this website!

But anyway, back to you, what do you think?
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

1 for me despite IWD2 having better character creation. There is something about 1 that is just captivating.

[ 10-18-2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

2, bacuse IMHO everything was simply better, deeper, with more opportunities and choices...
BIGGER, LONGER, UNCUT!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

2, because the 3rd ed rule makes the game better. and more character choices and able to multiclass easier. Better character voice confirmation. Better music. Good story.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
Pystal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1 for me. I have played IWD and HoW many times over. The flow of that game is really smooth. I loved the story as well as the battles.

As for IWD2, I like the game a lot (I am currently playing it) but it seems to be missing something the first one had. I can't put my finger on it though. Anyway, I really enjoy playing this game.

[ 10-22-2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Pystal ]
Old 11-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

2 due to a greater challenge and endless supply of character creation. And more monsters = more goodness [img]smile.gif[/img]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

2, mostly because of the incredible variation of character creation. I really wish that they'd been willing to do an expansion.

Another thing I like about IWD2 is the larger portraits. The larger size allows for bigger pics to be used. And those bigger pics are easier to edit, than the older IWD1/BG2 sized pics. Portrait edits are fun to do, if you have a decent graphics program like Pain Shop Pro. And if you have some imagination and a little talent, you can create your own edits, particularly ones that fit your idea of what a new character will look like. Let me tell you, a new IWD2 party with a nice custom backstory and custom portraits for each character is a real joy to play!

The really nice thing about IWD1 is the HOW and TOTL expansions that add so much more gaming goodness.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote