Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

This was already posted in the IWD2 forum, but mabye I can get a better response here.

Why is it that this forum is booming with life, while the IWD2 forum may not get a post for three days? I have beaten both games, and I liked the second game better. Is it the expansions of IWD that make it a better game? (I got the game before HOW came out and never bothered aquiring it).

I always thought that IWD 2 had better fights and the vast amount of new spells is a huge plus. Maybe I'm wrong. Could someone tell me how wrong?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
Otto
The Magister

I think the HOW/ToTL expansions make the game worth revisiting.

EDIT:
I agree with Aerich, below, that a lot of 2nd Ed. AD&D fans would enjoy the BG series and IWD/HOW better than IWD2. I thought IWD2 was ok, but not really anything great. After going through it once, I removed it from my hard-drive.

[ 11-09-2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Otto ]
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well I can only speak for myself, but...

as mentioned, the HoW/TotL expansions are great.

Also, more people are familiar with the 2nd Ed AD&D rules because of BG.

And one reason specific to me- I haven't got to IWD 2 yet. But I shall, one of these days. I've got it, I just haven't played it.

Edit: I should mention that it might be cyclical, as well. During the summer, it was the other way around. At one point, I was starting 2/3 of the new topics, and there were no threads with 10+ replies.

[ 11-09-2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 11-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

...it might be cyclical, as well. During the summer, it was the other way around. At one point, I was starting 2/3 of the new topics, and there were no threads with 10+ replies.

I think Aerich is very close to the real reason. The IWD board is booming relative to where it was 6 or 9 months ago. I was away from the forum for about a half year, and when I came back it seemed like Aerich was the only one to talk with. then a month later the boards just exploded. Maybe the re-release of the IWD series as a collection has pumped up the IWD gamer base?

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #5
Otto
The Magister

It might be cyclical, but I think it also has to do with the quality of the discussions. Interesting quizzes, topics, and debates, like those provided by Aerich, NobleNick, jmsteven, Calagari, and others make this forum a little more interesting.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I really need to get the HOW/TotLM expansion.

Thanks for clarifying. Otto, I can't believe that you didn't like IWD2, at least not as much as IWD1. I actually bought it, played it, dumped it, came back 2 months later and loved it.

Aerich, you should definately give IWD2 a shot, especially if you already own it. You may have a spot of trouble in the transition, but that is what the IWD2 forum is for.

Nick, I didn't realize that IWD had just been released as a collection. thanks for clearing that up.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

Heh. I'm planning to, but time is the biggest factor for me right now. I'm in law school, so I'm doing about 60-70 hours of homework and lectures every week. I manage to steal about 2 hours a week to play, at the moment, and exams are coming up fast.

I've got a government (legal) job (9-5, woo-hoo!!) from January to April, so I might get to it then.

And I think the collection has been out for a few months - however, that still means that IWD is much easier to find than many other games from the late 90s.