Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 11:04 AM   #31
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

First off, I agree that if people (anywhere) want to use a different name for something in a symbolic protest, then they certainly have the right to and it's their business. If it makes them feel better in some way, fine.

As for ME, I will still use the old terms. I don't think it means the same thing to me to take the word French out of my life. I don't have a problem with them as a people or with their culture, just their politics.

I suppose any one of us might find someone else's means of protesting something to be 'stupid' etc. We all have our opinions, but the true test of taste and civility is in not accusing a whole nation of that 'stupidity' or implying that you do just because a few are involved in something you find silly.

And yes, I personally think it's silly to re-name french fries or french toast, but then THEY don't or they wouldn't do it, now, would they? Symbolism is not always the same to everyone, I think.

LOLOL@ Larry's post on 'french' kissing [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 11:19 AM   #32
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

While normally I would agree that just renaming food really means nothing, when you combine it with comments coming from the Mayor of NY and others in the government I can't help but feel that they are acting like a group of children who are not getting their way (this is just my opinion, not a fact, so please don't flame me). Somehow I don't think all this lambasting the French and ban this, ban that will serve to change the French gov'ts mind, so what's the point? Sorry, but I just can't get behind the government (ours or any other) bad talking a whole group of people simply because they don't agree with them. Maybe it's just because I'm a Jew who lost 1/2 the family in the Holocaust so any rhetoric like this from any government. Let me put it this way, if our government was making all these same comments, but about black people instead of French, what would your reaction be? Maybe for you it would be the same, and that's fine, just like I am (and the French are) you are entitled to your opinion. But, if your reaction would change, ask yourself why? (and maybe your justification is ok too). I'm not trying to trample on other's opinions, you are just as entitled to them as I am to mine. Just trying to make us think of things in a way we may not have

As far as the money [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] I'm SOOOOO angry they spent time and money passing a bill on this given how much the NY and federal government keep screaming about how they have so little money.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:42 AM   #33
Masklinn

Thx for this nice post Harleyquinn. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just would like to add that it's really bad when freedom fries...

(Hey, be nice, this is my first english pun)
Old 03-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #34
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Thx for this nice post Harleyquinn. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just would like to add that it's really bad when freedom fries...

(Hey, be nice, this is my first english pun)
Ugh!! I'm gonna tell you the same thing I told Avron for his pun: [img]graemlins/whackya.gif[/img]

LOL
Old 03-12-2003, 12:57 PM   #35
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Maybe someone should clue them in that neither food is actually of french origin

I am sure the French are LTAO at us about this.

I suppose it is sillier than oh...say "Pig Psychology"? or perhaps Studies on exactly what types of toys should be provided for livestock?

I don't really think so. It appears to me to just be a stunt to garner some laughs and support for those people who can't do much more to protest.

Old 03-12-2003, 04:59 PM   #36
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Maybe someone should clue them in that neither food is actually of french origin

I am sure the French are LTAO at us about this.

I suppose it is sillier than oh...say "Pig Psychology"? or perhaps Studies on exactly what types of toys should be provided for livestock?

I don't really think so. It appears to me to just be a stunt to garner some laughs and support for those people who can't do much more to protest.
[/QUOTE]And we went through those tired old issues before when you found some EU laws, were roundly criticised for your anti-French inferences, and backed off and said "I just thought it was funny".

Those pig laws weren't having a swipe at your country were they. You were having a swipe at theirs by throwing in the pig laws in much the same way as the freedom fries people think they are doing.

So while it's 1-1 in the "isn't this silly" saga, it's 2-0 in the "let's throw a wobbly cos those people don't agree with me" war.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #37
realbinky
Elminster

The REAL meaning of French Fries revealed!
I don't know where that earlier linked article got it's ideas on fries, but here's the deal:
The real name is Frenched Fried Potatoes. Frenched is a shortened term for French cut, which refers to long, thin cuts for vegetables (ever had french cut green beans? They are green beans cut the long way, in thin strips). So french cut becomes frenched, but that's not good enough for us lazy-ass americans, we shorten the ALREADY shortened Frenched Fried Potatoes to French Fries, and now even to just FRIES. Some cultures (English English) have their own words (chips) but others have taken ours as a slang term for something they already had OR the american-made popularity encouraged some to start making "fries" and so also used the word, in their own language (i.e. Frites).

As to the name change to drop french? Really! I understand your want to stand against the french, but in this case, it really has nothing to do with the french anymore. Oh, and the things Wendy's serves should be called chunk fries, as those things are NOT french cut anyway.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #38
Masklinn

First of all, thank you Davros, for obvious reasons.
Thank you, really.

And then thank you realbinky for bringing truth about french fries. I m the one who posted about it earlier. I like your version better, it seems to fit more [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 07:45 PM   #39
skywalker
Banned User

I think it's really childish and a waste of elected officials time. They should get to work and fix the real problems in America instead of wasting taxpayer dollars in frivilous ways. These few Republican lawmakers need to get back to work.

Mark
Old 03-12-2003, 10:30 PM   #40
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I dunno, I just find all this "French Fries" now "Freedom Fries" just so silly. Sorry but I've called them French Fries my entire life, I ain't orderin no "Freedom Fries" LOL. They ain't freeing me from anything for cryin out loud, any more than they were originated by France. Whole thing is dumb LOL. Oh, and I'm also against the "Biggie Fries". C'mon, I'm too old to speak words outloud like "biggie", just give me the frikken fries dammit! Hey, there's an idea, let's just call em "frikken fries".!

Reality Show Recaps