Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2001, 04:54 PM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Well, my upgrade did NOT go well. The graphics card is fine, but my shiny new motherboard (Abit KT7 Raid) has issues with my soundcard (Aureal 3d).

I have fiddled with it for 2 days with the help of my dad, who as ever has worked tirelessly to help me sort out my problems (or rather, he fiddled with it for 2 days while I sat and looked nervous).

The advice I found on the various websites I looked at was that Aureal cards are not recommended for use with my new motherboard. I can afford a new one ok, but wanted to keep the Aureal as it is a really good piece of kit - 4 years old and still up there with the best of them (except when it comes to this particular motherboard). Unfortunately there does not seem to be any fix for this, but I will e-mail all concerned tomorrow to see if their respective tech supports can help. My PC does work, and the new graphics card looks pretty damn hot, but unfortunately the PC hangs frequently due to the above problem, and there is no sound.

Fortunately my dad has loaned me his laptop so that I don't get withdrawal symptoms (he really is the best). But I'm not used to laptop keyboards, so please excuse my spelling mistakes!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 10-07-2001).]
Old 10-07-2001, 04:55 PM   #2
Vampire

AWWW Noooo... But you are still here soo YEEEAAHHH!

------------------
Old 10-07-2001, 04:56 PM   #3
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

espona we cant miss you

------------------
Platinum Wizard of ALSB
Wizard at The Court of Lady Lioness
Protector of All Whats good
Old 10-07-2001, 04:58 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Damn, it really sucks when you've just bought some new stuff for your computer and you can't use it without replacing some other things in your computer, hope you manage to fix things though and remember to check two things if your comp starts acting wierd: The temperature and the voltage, those two things can REALLY mess up your computer.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.

Sorcerer of Lady Lioness' Court.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-07-2001, 05:01 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:

The temperature and the voltage, those two things can REALLY mess up your computer.

Hee hee - I have a number of fans inside the case - I really think if my central heating breaks this winter, I can just boot up, take the case off, and let those babies pump hot air all over the room...

I am quite p'd off with it all at the moment - I mean I had to reformat my HD twice - the things been rebooted more times this weekend than in the previous year, and if I never see the control panel again it will be too soon.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-07-2001, 05:06 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Rats! Don't you just love technology? Sure hope you can get the problem fixed soon! Thank your dad for the loaner, we'd have missed you here!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-07-2001, 05:16 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Sorry to hear that Epona!! What a bummer! Well at least you have that laptop to use, even though I know what you mean about them, the keys are really close together making it harder to type, and then of course you have to find a hard surface for the mouse... But like everyone else said, at least you are here!!!!

------------------
Old 10-07-2001, 05:19 PM   #8
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Hee hee - I have a number of fans inside the case - I really think if my central heating breaks this winter, I can just boot up, take the case off, and let those babies pump hot air all over the room...

I am quite p'd off with it all at the moment - I mean I had to reformat my HD twice - the things been rebooted more times this weekend than in the previous year, and if I never see the control panel again it will be too soon.

What kinda motherboard do you have, an a-bit???? I don't really know anything about a-bit, but I'll try to give you some advise. If you have an AMD processor (which I thought you had) buy an Asus A7V Socket A , there will be more versions of them. You'll pay about $ 150 - $ 200 dollars for it, but you'll have a good one. Then about that heating problem, the main cooling fan (not of the CPU but of the machine itself) normally is installed on sucking air into the machine, you can reset it and let it blow air out of it (it will suck air into the machine and blow it out over the CPU-cooler (and thus the CPU) and then outta the machine, but this all requires a cool environment. Hope it helps, if you have any questions, mail them to me.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
I'd be Mirac, mighty mage of er... uhm.. er.. - Mirac Honorguard
Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
Old 10-07-2001, 06:53 PM   #9
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I know what you mean Epona. I downloaded information from the manufacturer of my PC. I looked and looked at stuff and went out to Best Buy and got a New video card. When I got it home and went to install it I found that all the info I downloaded was useless. The video card I have is integrated into my motherboard.
There is no way to change the BIOS so that a PCI card will work as my default.
And even if It did work like they think, maybe it might, maybe, somehow. It would still revert to the integrated card to run some apps.
So I am stuck with the crummy card and an otherwise great machine.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:36 PM   #10
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
I know what you mean Epona. I downloaded information from the manufacturer of my PC. I looked and looked at stuff and went out to Best Buy and got a New video card. When I got it home and went to install it I found that all the info I downloaded was useless. The video card I have is integrated into my motherboard.
There is no way to change the BIOS so that a PCI card will work as my default.
And even if It did work like they think, maybe it might, maybe, somehow. It would still revert to the integrated card to run some apps.
So I am stuck with the crummy card and an otherwise great machine.

What type of intergrated bord and video card? If it's a HP or many simular kinds you can go into the motherbord setup and tell it to ignore the onbord video.

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB