Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2001, 11:11 PM   #1
Jaret
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why are wealthy, high level characters doing so much walking in the game? Doesn't anyone ride horses?
It would be nice if any sequels (probably too late to include it in ToB) included such a feature. It might function similarly to a familiar; a creature you can "talk" to, with several options. You could have it follow you, or make it stay put. (Though leaving it unattended could be dangerous) If you choose to ride it, your character's image on the screen would change to a mounted figure, and you could move faster. You could even access "saddle bags" for extra storage space!
Being mounted could have other effects, as well; the horse could be more susceptible to fear, making it run or even throw a rider. (You would, of course, be hurt and perhaps stunned in the fall.) Extra weapon modifiers could apply; daggers would be useless, while spears or flails might do extra damage. Your horse could be injured or killed in combat if you're not careful. It might be a good idea to invest in some good barding, (horse armor) even magical. There is also the horse's natural defenses to consider; a warhorse might be trained to kick and bite enemies.
Different horses could be different as well; a draft horse would be less fearless than a warhorse; a racer might move faster. A donkey might be good for little more than a pack animal to carry loot from dungeon crawling. There is also the possibility of different creatures as mounts; imagine riding a dragon, a unicorn, a Pegasus or a nightmare!
If this was implemented in a sequel, it could significantly broaden the role-playing experience. After all, what knight would go on an adventure without his trusty horse? The characters could travel farther in search of adventure. Getting the horses in the first place could be something of an adventure, as well. Some NPC's might be averse to riding certain types of animals, and vice versa. This would also give an excuse to throw in mounted enemies, perhaps worg riding goblins or evil cavalry.
I, for one, would love to see Minsc charge into battle riding a giant Boo. After all, isn't Boo a "miniature GIANT space hamster"? A little magic, and whalah - instant rodent cavalry. Say, that brings up the whole matter of polymorph spells.....
What do you folks think of this idea? Anyone else have any ideas for things that could make Baldur's Gate III even better?

------------------
Philosophically, I'm chaotic evil. In practice, well.... (Dang conscience!)
Old 05-06-2001, 01:45 AM   #2
BladeMaster

I think it would be an awsome idea in the game to be able to ride horses or other exotic animals, that way they could add even more character kits to the game.

------------------

Taste My Steel- BladeMaster

Old 05-06-2001, 02:12 AM   #3
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I dont think there is gonna be a bg3 but maybe if enough people ask for it they might have it in neverwinter nights.

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-06-2001, 02:22 AM   #4
BladeMaster

Just because some other company has the rights to produce these games. They would be stupid not capitalize on the success of these games and produce a BG3 for us using Bioware and Black Isle

------------------

Taste My Steel- BladeMaster

Old 05-06-2001, 04:14 AM   #5
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

They are making a baldurs gate game for ps2 but they dont follow the bhaal spawn plot because that will be finished in TOB so they are not being called #3

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-06-2001, 04:24 AM   #6
Dramnek_Ulk

bioware said they couldnt do horses in bg1&2 because of scripting probblems i think and they said they might unblance the game. I dunno about NWN tho.

------------------
"Let this place resonate with
new songs;
the cries of the warrior, the melody of clashing swords, the harmony of iron
shod
boots marching in unison over the stones, the crescendo of the death wail,
and the
chorus of the widow's lament"

Old 05-06-2001, 05:46 AM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

they are making a Baldurs Gate 3 the developers have said so themselves in many interviews and so on. It will not follow the child of bhaal storyline but it will still be called baldurs gate 3 from what they say so far. and it is not the same as the playstation BG it is a different game
Old 05-06-2001, 06:09 AM   #8
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

One thing against using horses (or dragons to ride would be good!) is what would you do with 'em when you are in a dungeon? You spend MUCH more time in the dungeon than you do walking between them! The mounted adventurer needs lots of outdoor battling to do, and very little dungeon work. Hm. THAT would mean you need to find lots of REALLY GOOD stuff in relatively small dungeons... maybe. Mmm... nah. The enemy would be carrying good armour etc... It would have to be SPECIAL stuff in the dungeons...

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 05-06-2001).]
Old 05-06-2001, 06:32 AM   #9
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
they are making a Baldurs Gate 3 the developers have said so themselves in many interviews and so on. It will not follow the child of bhaal storyline but it will still be called baldurs gate 3 from what they say so far. and it is not the same as the playstation BG it is a different game
Wheres the link to where they say it will be called baldurs gate 3?

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-06-2001, 06:38 AM   #10
Floraowe
The Magister

That's what collapsible horses are for! Then they fit in your backpack, right along side your familiar and your demon heart