Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 10-09-2002, 11:32 PM   #1
esquire
The Magister

After not playing BG in about a year I am starting from scratch. I recently bought the whole series for a cool $45cdn from ebay. While I have gone through BG once and about 80% of the way through BGII (stopped at the underdark) I have never played ToTsC or TOB before, so there are a lot of new areas to conquer. And who will be doing that? Why Lexx the Chaotic good gnome Illusionist:

And check out his awesome stats after only about 10 rolls:
St 14
Dex 16
Con 13
Int 19
Wis 14
Cha 14

I specialized in daggers… sure slings would have been the logical choice but I like the personal touch that only a good sharp dagger can provide. I get another point every 6 levels right? lol

I didn’t want to make him too cheesy so I kept his con at 13. Sure I’ll spend half my life running from squirrels and brown bears …but who will be laughing when I can hurl a few dozen fireballs at them? Mwhahahaahaha.

Hmmmm
The only thing that sucks is that I’m on a laptop with a 1020x768 native res…. So it’s a choice between stretching out the graphics and having them look like $hit or to play it in window mode and hardly be able to see it. So far in stretched mode it is OK, but the characters are pixilated. Good thing BGII allows high res.

So far I have escaped candlekeep with Imoen and am making my way to the infamous friendly arm inn… with my 4 meager hit points and weak constitution Imoen volunteered to take the lead
Old 10-10-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

It is good to have you on board esquire, just a reminder there is a free expansion for TotSC if you ever finish it and want to play again with even more areas called DSotSC found at http://www.dsotsc.com/ it adds even more areas, quest, NPC's and items. I am playing BG through a 3rd time and have added this expansion so I am looking forward to it. I am using a female Chaotic good elf ranger this time. The second time through with only TotSC I used a neutral evil gnome Illusionist like your self, except he was a multi-classed fighter. I have to admit I was not so brave to meet the challenges of TotSC as you and needed my gnome to have a little extra ump! But gnome Illusionists are awsome.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:16 AM   #3
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

I've wanted to do this for awhile(especially since i got my laptop for college which i can't play alot of my games on) but my disc 2 is scratched.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:18 AM   #4
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

Why settle for the low dexterity? Having an intelligence of 17 or higher is just fine, you dont use the maximum spells per level, thery're arent even enough that are worth while for that in SoA.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:24 AM   #5
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Agreed on the dexterity. You could of gone for 18. Still, if this is a character based on a concept, then power to ya' esquire. The higher Int is nice for spell memorisation, that way you won't have to reload when you fail to learn that spell so many times! Seriously though, you'd be surprised how many times you fail even with 95%.

One interesting fact for those that haven't played IWD is that unlike BG1 (at least) if you failed to learn a spell like fireball the first time you get it, the chances are you never will, as there appears to only be one copy in the entire game. Of course with Dynaheir, get her when she's level 6 and she knows it already.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
esquire
The Magister

Yea I guess my dex could have been maxed out but i'll just pick up a ring or a pair of bracers up somewhere to fix that [img]smile.gif[/img]

On the downside I have died a few times already...im so weak lol

plus side though, I killed the assassin at the FAI on my second attempt with only imoen. Somehow I missed meeting up with the evil necro and theif, oh well they would have made good cannon fodder.

And are you serious about only one fireball scroll???? thats crazy. I'll make sure to save before memorizing.... I have also found that colour spray is utterly useless.

Also mb someone can answer this... When I sleep at an inn the 'inn movie' doesn't play for some reason. THe other movies play fine, I have seen the FAI movie and the bergost movie...weird. Suppose I will have to edit the baldur.ini file?
Old 10-10-2002, 04:08 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

There is an Inn movie? Something must be wrong with my game. I have always gotten a movie when I camp outside but never in an inn.

It has been awhile right esquire, so maybe this is the one you are thinking about.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 05:16 PM   #8
esquire
The Magister

Hmmmm.... mb its only in BGII, Its the movie where you see a few beds and there is a rat that runs across the floor. I could have sworn that it played when you rest at an inn. Am I crazy?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:01 PM   #9
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Most likely its BG2, as it isn't in BG, or IWD for that fact. Yup, only one Fireball scroll that I've ever come across in IWD. I'm no expert, but I've played it a bit - if you no what I mean. In fact, most of the good spells after level two only appear once as far as I remember. Bl**dy annoying that. So count yourself lucky people. You could be stuck in the frozen north of Faerûn without a single fireball to keep you (or the bad guys) warm.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #10
ryaldin
Elminster

The inn movie scene is in bg2. I remember seeing it not too long ago, before i left home. My brother was playing it. Definitely in bg2.