Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-29-2003, 03:40 AM   #101
wellard
Dracolisk

G'day Lady Aberdene

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Wellcome to Ironworks....in at the deep end eh!

[ 01-29-2003, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 01-29-2003, 04:52 AM   #102
Borvik
Drow Warrior

1. How you voted

Pro choice

2. Why

I voted pro choice because I'm pro life. This may sound strange so let me explain (as good as I can at least). I think there has to be the choice for the woman who has to deal with all she is facing in that moment. Having a choice could make it easier for the woman to come to a positive decision because she doesn't have to feel trapped. It can't be a good thing for the process of decision (be it allowed or not, she will think about abortion if she thinks she's not able to cope with the situation), when you think you reached a dead alley. Lowering the pressure on the woman who has to decide, lowers the anxieties IMO. The more support she gets, the more likely it is, that she'll decide NOT to abort. And the more she feels the support from family, government, friends and society (every single one of us) - the easier it will be for her to step back from an abortion.
If then still she thinks she has no other escape .... well, I'm not the one to blame her ... I'm convinced she has some very good reasons for it!

3. Whether that conflicts with your religion's stance on the issue

I wouldn't say that I'm religious. Mostly religion conflicts with my opinions and not the other way round.

4. Whether your views change with extenuating circumstances (e.g. you do not support abortion but would support it for rape and incest victims, especially when they are young, or in the cases where the mother's life is in danger).
and

I don't support abortion, I support the idea to have a choice! AND I support the decision the woman in question makes. Maybe one day it won't be a question anymore to abort for whatever reason. Incriminating it won't do a good job.

5. (just for s*ts and giggles) Whether or not you support the death penalty and how, if at all, you see that relative to your abortion stance.

I'm against death penalty! And it doesn't conflict with my stance concerning abortion.
There was an interesting idea some posts before here: If the mother of the convicted person would push the button, then be it!
Old 01-29-2003, 10:18 AM   #103
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Just checking back in guys. Wonderful new posts, great ideas. Love the virtual abortion for daddies - maybe I'll start a non-profit to lobby for it. Someone out there in the DC area interested in helping out?

Lady Aberdene, congratulations, hello, and welcome. [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] Yes, you have hopped into the deep end here - rather deftly I might add.

Taking a note from the article regarding the rally in DC, I respsect that President Bush is Pro-Life and openly so. I remember when Bob Dole was campaigning for president he backed off his stance on abortion, basing it on the notion that "Americans are overwhelmingly pro-choice, and I must represent America" (that's a paraphrase, of course). I thought that was a fair thing to say. But, had he decided to stick to his guns, like Bush does, I'm okay with that as well. Some beliefs on topics are so intergral to one's humanity that their stance need not necessarily change to fit the beliefs of those they represent.

[ 01-29-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 01-29-2003, 08:17 PM   #104
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hello Lady Aberdene! Good to see you jumping in and taking part in the community we call Ironworks!

Nice work everyone! I'm really happy to see this thread go without a major flamewar!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:32 PM   #105
Thoran
Galvatron

Yea, abortion is no sweat... just don't get us talking about moderators, now THAT would get ugly
Old 01-29-2003, 08:35 PM   #106
Lavindathar
Harper

1. How you voted (of course)
2. Why
3. Whether that conflicts with your religion's stance on the issue
4. Whether your views change with extenuating circumstances (e.g. you do not support abortion but would support it for rape and incest victims, especially when they are young, or in the cases where the mother's life is in danger).
and
5. (just for s*ts and giggles) Whether or not you support the death penalty and how, if at all, you see that relative to your abortion stance.

1. I voted Pro Choice
2. I have been in situations were it has been "nearly" needed. I'm only 18, and teenagers do stupid things. A few scares now and again, and one that we are waiting to see on that is currently present.
3. Being a catholic, it's against my religion.
4. I believe in abortion in perfectly normal cases, so yes in these cases. If I got someone pregnant now, I would aim for abortion.I'm too young to support a child, and seeing as my gf is younger than me, then she is too.It would end up living with a grandparent.
5. Against. Just in case they got it wrong. Also, life imprisonment is just equal punishment. More expensive......but.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:09 AM   #107
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Actually the reverse is said to be true Larry. Holding a stillborn child is documented as being important in creating closure and assisting healing.

See, avoiding, erasing, or repressing an issue is not solving it. We have to face, hold, overcome and resolve our issues. Pretending they never existed does NOT work.
I did not phrase my meaning well enough for you to get what I was saying. I did not refer to stillborn babies...my meaning in that post was that it would be easier than holding your baby as it died...not when it was already dead before birth. If it was absolutely positive that the child would not have a chance, due to some terrible deformity...but the deformity would not take effect until the cord was cut...then it would be harder for me to let the child die in my hands. I would beg the doctor not to cut it just yet...as I stood there holding him/her. See my meaning? I do not care what documentations say...I know that I would rather have the baby put down early than to suffer in my hands because it's little lungs could not breathe for themselves after the cord was cut. That seems more cruel than whatever happens in the womb to put him/her down before seeing the light of day.[/QB][/QUOTE]Larry, I've been doing a bit of reading on the subject since you brought this up. I stumbled upon this page: http://www.anencephaly.net/ It seems that a number of parents decide to go through with giving birth to babies with anencephaly. The babies generally last only a few days at most. Man. What a tough thing.... Anyhow, it does seem to have helped the healing process for these people.

Tough stuff all this.

http://www.hughwilson.com