Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Just wondering if anybody has tried out any "misfit" stories... like having characters like Gnome Barbarians, or Half-Orc Sorcerers, stuff like that.

Did you have a good time? Were your characters/parties successful?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes and yes. I once made a party entirely of half-orcs in IWD2. Party members were a Barbarian, Ranger/Rogue, Monk, Sorceror, Wizard and Cleric.

In IWD1, a gentleman by the name of Midget Gems made a party almost entirely of gnomes and kept them at lvl 1 (e.g. did not level up at all!!) for the entire game. He even beat B_________! [img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] For me, this ranks as the zaniest IWD feat ever, and is on par with playing without using the pause button, which pritche did up until the last fight in IWD1, iirc.

Any reasonably balanced party without ridiculously bad stats can beat either IWD game. Good battle tactics is 75% of the battle. Stats is about 10%, with the rest split between luck and reloading.

It's also arguably a "misfit" to play HoF beginning with lvl 1 characters. I've beaten the game twice that way in IWD1, and now won't play it on any other difficulty level.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

You can read about Midget Gem's party here:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=3;t=003307

And Aerich, why the "almost"? It was made entirely of gnomes.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

For some reason I thought he had a non-gnome bard in there. It turns out he made a bard (only for the final fight) and used Dalekeeper to make it into a gnome. I stand corrected. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Still, a feat for the ages. Midget Gems beat the entire game with lvl 1 characters, which is on another plane of difficulty altogether than beating the game with less-than-optimal stats. It shows the importance of tactics compared to any other character variable.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
For some reason I thought he had a non-gnome bard in there. It turns out he made a bard (only for the final fight) and used Dalekeeper to make it into a gnome. I stand corrected. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Still, a feat for the ages. Midget Gems beat the entire game with lvl 1 characters, which is on another plane of difficulty altogether than beating the game with less-than-optimal stats. It shows the importance of tactics compared to any other character variable.
It'd be interesting to see if someone can beat the game with an entire party of level 2 characters, since the "beginner's luck" ability (can't be 1-shot with a level 1 char) wouldn't kick in.

Midget Gems, where are you?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Be my guest. I don't have the patience. The frustration would get to me. Lvl 5 characters might be manageable.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

I've just installed the IWD2 again after many years, and was considering trying to duo through it as Pikel and Ivan Bouldersnatcher from Bob Salvatores books, thought it would be pretty fun, Dwarf Druid ftw? Its just a shame there are no green beared Dwarf portraits

Anyway I'll let you know how it turns out.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I've just installed the IWD2 again after many years, and was considering trying to duo through it as Pikel and Ivan Bouldersnatcher from Bob Salvatores books, thought it would be pretty fun, Dwarf Druid ftw? Its just a shame there are no green beared Dwarf portraits

Anyway I'll let you know how it turns out.
Try photoshopping