Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My wife has a habit that can really annoy me at times. Whenever she meets somebody for the first time, she will make a "snap judgement" of thier character right on the spot....and there is no persuading her otherwise. Once she makes up her mind, it's set in stone.

On more than one occasion, I've introduced her to somebody else, only to have her say immediately afterwards "He/she and I will not get along."

This goes beyond "first impressions"....everybody makes some type of initial judgement about a person. But my wife seems to analyze their entire personality based on nothing more than a simple greeting.

The REALLY annoying thing is.......SHE'S USUALLY RIGHT!!!!

She can honostly tell if she will "get along" with somebody (and vice versa) pretty much on sight. I've talked to other girls I know, and they said that they do the same thing a lot of times.

So I'm just wondering if any of the IW women do this?

If so, do any of the guys do it too, or is it really just a "woman thing"?

As for myself, I can only think of a very few people I ever made such a "snap" judgement about, and I turned out to be very wrong about one of them. He and I are good friends to this day.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:37 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I dunno, Cerek...if you ask me, it's kind of "begging the question." If one makes up one's mind that one will not like someone, more than likely that assumption will be proven true. Call it a "self-fulfilling prophecy."

I form opinions about people when I first meet them (you only get one chance to make a first impression), but I also keep an open mind and wait for more information to come in. So does my wife, so I know it's not all women who do this.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-07-2002, 02:06 PM   #3
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

I get a very good picture of how the person I see is. I can't really tell if we will get along or not, unless I feel a very strong dislike of the person.
But sure, I pretty much can tell how that person I see is..
Old 08-07-2002, 02:09 PM   #4
Lord Shield

sorry, Cerek but I heavily disagree with the "must be a woman thing". I know men too that make snap judgments about people. The smae is true of the internet too where people make snap judgments based on a couple of posts

Old 08-07-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I usually reserve judgement, but I know that Galadria almost always can tell if she is going to like someone or not. Unless it is a pretty girl, then I know that I will like her, and I know that Galadria will not. So, maybe it is a thing that many women do.

[ 08-07-2002, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 08-07-2002, 02:22 PM   #6
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

Like it was stated above, self fullfilling prophecy..I do the same thing. I know as soon as I meet some one if I will like them or not. Usually it's because of something they said etc..
Old 08-07-2002, 02:22 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You said it better than I, Attalus

My wife can cut right through any "front" people put on and see their true nature right up front.

And - as I said - she is usually right.

Sounds like she and Galadria are a lot alike.

I also try to "reserve judgement", but I usually reach the same conclusion as she does....it just takes me a little longer to get there.

[ 08-07-2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 08-07-2002, 02:27 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I tend to form a 'base' opinion when talking to someone for the first time, but usually don't make up my mind on more until I've talked longer or seen something to push me one way or the other. I will say that every now and then, I can just "tell" about someone.. LOL sort of like your wife, Cerek. Hmmm..maybe it's the name?
Old 08-07-2002, 04:49 PM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Women´s intuition is NEVER wrong LOL! Well maybe sometimes. Hmmm maybe half of the time then... Hmmm, come to think of it I don´t think I´ve ever been right about something like that, perhaps once or twice lol.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Yep definately a woman thing to make up her mind after a glance. I dont know how they do it either [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
'Sides, they're only right because they stand by their original verdict anyway, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. They so hate it when you point out that they're wrong..