Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I got into a discussion about this on another board, but I'm not sure it's possible to get three 72 AC decoys or not (without cheating, of course).

If it is, please discuss it here. TIA.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I think I may have figured out how to, but I'm not completely sure.

Please let me know if this will work.

Decoy 1:
LG Deep Gnome
Rog3/Ftr4/Pal3/Illusionist20 (Start as a Rogue for the skills)
S 16 D 20 C 14 I 18 W 5 Ch 1

Equipment needed:
Brazen Bands
Flame Dance Talisman
Swing From the Masts
Chimadrae's Slippers
Chain of Drakka's Fury
Any +4 Shield
Spells needed (cast either by him or other team members):
Tenser's Transformation
Barkskin
Haste (or Mass Haste)
Ghost Armor
Spirit Armor

Feats needed:
Expertise
Dodge

Boost DEX with every level-up

Decoy #2:
LN Deep Gnome
Dreadmaster of Bane 28/Monk 1/Rog1 (take Monk at beginning of HoF, and Rog in the Underdark in HoF, minimizing XP penalty)
S 16 D 20 C 14 I 3 W 20 Ch 1

Equipment needed:
Indomitable Bands
Sunfire Talisman
Crow's Nest
Chimadrae's Warded Slippers
Potion of Holy Transference X2
Every God's Ring

Barkskin
Haste (or Mass Haste)
Ghost Armor
Spirit Armor
Draw Upon Holy Might
Divine Shell

Feats needed:
Dodge

Boost WIS with every level-up

Decoy #3:
LN Deep Gnome
S 8 D 20 C 11 I 14 W 20 Ch 1
Transmuter 14/ Dreadmaster of Bane 15/Monk 1 (take Monk level only after buying second Every God's Ring in HoF) (start as a Transmuter for the free spells, maximize Alchemy for later)

Equipment needed:
Xvimian Fang of Despair
Every God's Ring

Barkskin
Haste (or Mass Haste)
Ghost Armor
Spirit Armor
Draw Upon Holy Might
Divine Shell
Tenser's Transformation
Cat's Grace

Feats needed:
Expertise
Dodge

Boost both DEX and WIS, leaving WIS at an odd number (since Every God's Ring gives +5 to WIS). The early DEX boosts should help AC, and in combat (early game, he uses missile weapons and Weapon Finesse if in melee).

Characters 4, 5, and 6 will have to include a Watcher of Helm (for the Helm's Watch ability), at least 12 levels of Druid (for Barkskin spell), and a Bard of at least 11 levels (for the War Chant of the Sith song).

I suggest combining the Watcher of Helm and Druid into one character (11/19 level division; either LN or N so you can use the Massive Halberd of Hate), the Bard with a Sorcerer (11/19 level division), and finally a Paladin/Sorcerer (3/27 level division; Sorcerers rock this game). I would level up to 19 as a Sorcerer before adding Bard levels, as you won't really need the WCotS until much later. Since this party already features two Clerics, I'd start the Helmite/Druid off as a Druid, and add only 1 level of Cleric early for some armor proficiencies. I'd also start with only four party members, and wait until flying away in Oswald's ship to add the Helmite/Druid, and wait until the underdark to add the Pal/Sorc for an effective mule for a while. I'd also suggest stopping him at Pal 3/Sorc 4, since this is a great spot to squat at (you have Mirror Image if you get into trouble, and no XP penalty yet).

Character 4:
NE Drow Sorcerer 19/Bard 11
S 8 D 16 C 16 I 16 W 4 Ch 20
Max all talky skills, Concentration, Spellcraft (10 only) and Know: Arcana for ID'ing stuff. Maximize CHA at all level-ups.

Character 5:
N Drow Druid 19/Watcher of Helm 11
S 15 D 14 C 16 I 12 W 18 Ch 5
Max Spellcraft, Concentration, Wilderness Lore. Maximize WIS at all level-ups, but spend 1 on STR late (there's a +4 WIS ring late in the game that won't benefit from another point spent on WIS, but the STR will help a little bit).

Character 6:
LG Drow Paladin 3/Sorcerer 27
S 12 D 16 C 16 I 12 W 4 Ch 20
Max Spellcraft and Concentration. Maximize CHA at level-ups.

[ 05-31-2007, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Klorox ]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Old 06-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't think Ghost Armor and Spirit Armor stack, so you may need to redo your calculations.

Personally, I think it's huge overkill. I'd rather get by with good tactics than a micro-planned party. Further, it will take a lot of time (or squatting) to get to that point. For example, your #3 requires Tensor's Transformation (needs 11 arcane levels) AND Divine Shell (needs 11 cleric levels) for your 72 AC build. Even if you did an even split of levels, that's still a goodly ways into HoF - and you'd only get that 72 AC once per rest period. Further, your transmuter11/cleric11 would not have access to some very powerful spells.

Heck, if you want 72 AC that bad, go ahead and abuse the Lingering Song feat. [img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Oh, this is just a theoretical way of going about it. I have no plans of playing this party, my friend.

If you wanted to go with two decoys (I think one is probably enough), I'd say go with the first two.

re: Ghost Armor and Spirit Armor: One gives a Deflection bonus, one gives an Armor bonus, so they work together.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Oh good.

Ghost Armor gives a +5 deflection bonus. I'm certain there's items around that give as good or nearly as good.

Shield might actually be better than Spirit Armor in some circumstances. It gives a better armor bonus (+7 vs +6), but only works for frontal attacks.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

What are 72 AC decoys? You mean like an armor class of -72, or is it positive in IWD2?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

It's positive in IWD2, using a version of the 3E ruleset. Every character has a base of AC 10 and race, stats, items, and spells affect the character's modified AC. Edit: all "good" modifications add to AC; the higher, the better.

The reason 72 is considered a critical number (by powergamers ) is because the to-hit bonus of most HoF monsters is capped at 52 - meaning a character with 72 AC does not take melee damage except on a critical hit.

[ 06-03-2007, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]