Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 07:25 AM   #21
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Sure, sure. Go and pre-order a copy of \/\/!nd0z L33t 3ddit!0n then. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Spelling do matters as I constantly edit and re-edit my post to iron out the typos and spelling errors. I may not get all the mistakes corrected, but at least my posts look "neat" to me.

[edit] See... I am doing it again.

[ 07-21-2004, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 07-21-2004, 07:33 AM   #22
J'aran
Mephistopheles

In my book, you'll get more credibility if you at least try to spell correctly. Simple typing errors and mistakes from non-native speakers aside, of course. If a native speaker writes like an idiot, then, to me, the apparent conclusion would be that he is an idiot.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:34 AM   #23
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
On a recent thread about the British Goverment there was a short debate about whether correct spelling is important on the internet.

As a matter of principal I try to spell words correctly but although I pour over the various threads I don’t often correct incorrect spelling.

Sometimes however, people are so careless about they’re spelling that I’m sorely tempted to correct it.

There are far to many mistakes made by native English speakers on Ironworks. People are careless and feel that they have free reign to make mistakes without having them corrected. Perhaps we could diffuse the situation by putting our posts through a spell checker. As long as everyone tows the line there should be no problem.

If, like me, you want to spell correctly, you’ll need to practice more. Then there will be on arguments!

What do you think?
I HATE being a "Grammar Nazi", but it's punching my eye.

It should be, "As a matter of principle ~".

~~~~ ~~~~

On a related note, I do find spelling (or at least an attempt at spelling) to be important, if only to convey the impression that you are being serious/professional. It also gives the reader a better impression of you.

One of my pet peeves when it comes to incorrect spelling is the usage of "your" to represent "you're". It infuriates me to no end to see this kind of mistake, and it incites unimaginable visions of various tortures that I implement on the offender in my mind.

When people are in a hurry, I can forgive them for abbreviating words in a SMS message over a handphone, but when you have time to type properly on a forum, or in an e-mail, then abbreviations to me, show a lack of heart in the message and a lack of courtesy to the recipient.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 07-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #24
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I think the korect speeling for the fraze is "toes the line," thats whut I think.
There are 10 deliberate spelling mistakes in my post, few of which would be picked up by a spell checker. That's one of them.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 07-21-2004, 07:44 AM   #25
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word has no imagination.
Paraphrasing Andrew Jackson.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 07-21-2004, 07:47 AM   #26
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
On a related note, I do find spelling (or at least an attempt at spelling) to be important, if only to convey the impression that you are being serious/professional. It also gives the reader a better impression of you.

One of my pet peeves when it comes to incorrect spelling is the usage of "your" to represent "you're". It infuriates me to no end to see this kind of mistake, and it incites unimaginable visions of various tortures that I implement on the offender in my mind.

When people are in a hurry, I can forgive them for abbreviating words in a SMS message over a handphone, but when you have time to type properly on a forum, or in an e-mail, then abbreviations to me, show a lack of heart in the message and a lack of courtesy to the recipient.
I agree with most of the above except forums. Some simple abbrevated words like LOL, BTW, AFAIK and etc. are in my opinion, rather useful and time saving; provided that you don't over-use it.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:49 AM   #27
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
[I HATE being a "Grammar Nazi", but it's punching my eye.

It should be, "As a matter of principle ~".

~~~~ ~~~~

LOL DS - that's another one of the 10 mistakes. Note that it's not that words are spelled wrong but that the wrong words are used!

Old 07-21-2004, 07:51 AM   #28
philip
Galvatron

Now run this through a spell checker

Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight for it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

Don't know who wrote it but it's from a magazine we have to read for english called Waspreporter. This is actually the first thing worth reading cause it's boring usually
Old 07-21-2004, 08:00 AM   #29
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
There are 10 deliberate spelling mistakes in my post, few of which would be picked up by a spell checker. That's one of them.
I can only see six.
goverment - government
principal - principle
they're - their
far to many mistakes - far too many mistakes
tows the line - toes the line (that's not exactly a spelling mistake though)
there will be on arguments - there will be no arguments
Where are the other four?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:16 AM   #30
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
On a recent thread about the British Goverment(Government) there was a short debate about whether correct spelling is important on the internet.

As a matter of principal(principle) I try to spell words correctly but although I pour(pore) over the various threads I don’t often correct incorrect spelling.

Sometimes however, people are so careless about they’re(their) spelling that I’m sorely tempted to correct it.

There are far to(too) many mistakes made by native English speakers on Ironworks. People are careless and feel that they have free reign(rein) to make mistakes without having them corrected. Perhaps we could diffuse(defuse) the situation by putting our posts through a spell checker. As long as everyone tows(toes) the line there should be no problem.

If, like me, you want to spell correctly, you’ll need to practice(practise) more. Then there will be on(no) arguments!

What do you think?
Ook.

Land of the Psycho-moe