Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #1
whick3
Dungeon Master

This topic is just alittle off the subject, but let me get to the point.

I am a RPG fan, I love em, it seems to me they don't make computer games like they use too, its all hype mixed in with graphics now, add in a sucky story and you get most rpg's on the market today, also it seems most RPGs' are going MMORPG so they company can charge you per month, good thing about this is, if its not a good game, your not going to pay the next month, they want to keep you hooked as well WoW i'm sure,

back to the subject

I am a big fan of Wizardry 8, but I need to take a break , heh, does anyone have any recommendations, or you have not lived until have played this game list. I've been around the block, but maybe I've missed a good rpg

so whats some of your favorite rpgs
whick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
dplax
Jack Burton

I like the Baldur's Gate series, or if you want you could also try older wizardry games.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Might and Magic 6 and 7 are pretty good, Wizards and Warriors is very good. But you've prolly played them both.

I'm also looking for something else, but cant find anything. Do let us know if you discover a gem!
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
whick3
Dungeon Master

You can't buy this but can download if you know where to look [img]smile.gif[/img]

Master of Magic, old game, came around 1995 I think, GREAT GAME!It has top scores on "One of my you must play this game" list!

I get tired of most games very quickly, StarWars Knights of the old republic , is one game I find myself playing over and over, its fun being evil [img]smile.gif[/img]

A few other classics you should play, Phantasmorgia from sierra, Beast within from sierra, ohh, and monkey island from lucas, best adventure games ever [img]smile.gif[/img]

Speaking of old games, anyone here use to play Legend Of the Red Dragon on BBS?

I know this is not really a wizardry8 subject, but we are all here because we are fans of RPG's
Old 04-05-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
whick3
Dungeon Master

oh sorry yes might and magic, almost beat 6, then I gave up on it, I've played 7 for about 4 hours and gave up on it as well, I heard 8 was too easy, and 9 should be burnt in a grave and then have acid thrown on it. I might take up M&M 7, rather bored with diablo 2, Sacred just came out and it looks pretty good, anyone played that?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
whick3
Dungeon Master

oh sorry yes might and magic, almost beat 6, then I gave up on it, I've played 7 for about 4 hours and gave up on it as well, I heard 8 was too easy, and 9 should be burnt in a grave and then have acid thrown on it. I might take up M&M 7, rather bored with diablo 2, Sacred just came out and it looks pretty good, anyone played that?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
Wombstar
Dungeon Master

Simon the sorcerer (1 and 2) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Wombstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:40 AM   #8
Randall
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by whick3:
Sacred just came out and it looks pretty good, anyone played that?
I've got Sacred but it's a bit too much mindless hack and slash for my liking, the combat doesn't really have much depth to it. Something good to play for a few hours but it doesn't have the depth of something like Wizardry.

Still if you're a Diablo 2 fan it would definately appeal, it's very similar to Diablo 2 but much more of a plot & story.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
ScottG
Drow Warrior

All of the rpg games (and several are not even rpg) mentioned are worth the cost at full retail (and several are old enough to be substantially less). Furthmore all of the games are in their own way the equal of (or better than) Wiz 8. The one thing Wiz 8 does better than all of them however is re-playability (except Shogun).

2d games (realtime):

For story/plot the reigning king is Planescape Torment. (a bit daunting at first but once you get into it your sucked-in like a heroin addict.. not much re-playability though.)

I'd place BG2 a distant second (still excellent though). Replayability is weak but OK.

I've also heard good things about Fall-out.

2d games (turn-based):
I've liked all of the Disciples games, there quite different but excellent, both in story-line and action (though it is turn-based, but it can get your pulse racing as much as any 2d game, almost as much as Wiz 8, but not to the level of Morrowind). The 1st 2 games bearing their name have 4 different races to complete (with a LOT of hours of playability) BUT once you have run-through all 4 races you'll probably won't pick-up the game again. This game seems to combine strategy with a race-based rpg progression. Like Thief, the games have several "chapters".

2d games (real-time strategy):
Knights and Merchants. This game has several chapters like Disciples and its similar to the Civilization series, but the game balancing (combat, construction, population, etc.) while not as complicated is MUCH better. In fact its game-play is rather singular, (I've never seen anything even come close). It isn't really rpg'ish but the "civiliztion" is medieval. Because its chapter based re-playability is really non-existant (but there are a lot of "chapters" and difficulty keeps progressing, perhaps more so than Wiz 8 - in fact you might not even be able to finish the game).

2d/3d game (combat simulation):
Shogun Total War Warlord Edition. Medieval battle simulation at its finest, (better than their latter games as well). No real rpg to speak of, but the game does have essentially a leveling system somewhat civilization-like. Game play starts with a 2d element simlar to the board game Risk (where your trying to concur/protect adjacent provincies). When you actually attack a province though your given the option to manually lead the battle - THEN it becomes fully 3d. The battle strategy and simulation is utterly realistic even if the 3d visuals are actually quite poor. (Note: this game at higher resolutions in 3d combat can bring even state-of-the-art machines and graphics cards a humbling blow.) This is a game you'll find yourself playing again and again and again and again and again and again (.. eh, I think you get the idea...)

3d (1st person) games:

Morrowind is absolutely fantastic as a 1st person world (good plot too), BUT the game's mechanics for difficulty suffer as you progress (as opposed to Wiz 8 where its difficult all the time). Like Torment however, it can be quite daunting at first, and re-playability suffers.

Thief Darkproject 1 & 2:
These games are even better at atmosphere and "immersion" than Morrowind, but it isn't really a full 3d world, instead the game is broken up into chapters with a linear progression where each chapter has its own 3d "world". Also their isn't an rpg leveling system of any kind. Finally re-playability is almost non-existant. (Note: this game should only be played at night.)

[ 04-07-2004, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote