Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2001, 09:06 PM   #31
Moni

Wrong thread! Sorry!

------------------

The best thing about karma is that you create your own.

Pets Need Love Too

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 11-01-2001).]

Old 11-01-2001, 10:12 PM   #32
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

isn't about time for these little guys to be tossed out?

maybe to bring in a turkey?

------------------

Realm of Warlock's Art
Fun, Humor, Silliness, Betrayals, and Biting (biting? how did it get there?) Link above
I bow to Ziroc the grand master! I shall never mock Choc again!

[This message has been edited by adam warlock (edited 11-01-2001).]
Old 11-01-2001, 10:23 PM   #33
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Wrong thread! Sorry!
I'm glad you did post that story about your cats. It makes me so very glad that I keep my cats indoors at all times. I'm a bit paranoid about people wanting to hurt them and other cats giving them things like FIP. My two cats have become my friends and I would be heartbroken if I lost them.

I know..wrong thread and all. I care about cats, so I tend to put the board ettiquette aside on these occasions.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 11-01-2001, 10:32 PM   #34
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
I'm glad you did post that story about your cats. It makes me so very glad that I keep my cats indoors at all times. I'm a bit paranoid about people wanting to hurt them and other cats giving them things like FIP. My two cats have become my friends and I would be heartbroken if I lost them.

I know..wrong thread and all. I care about cats, so I tend to put the board ettiquette aside on these occasions.

I am glad you care about cats. I love all eleven of ours. Unfortunately (and thankfully LOL) they are not all indoor cats...they come and go as they please.
That was Fljotsdale's cats that were poisoned.
My dogs were, but they all survived thanks to the kindness of Rex's family. I'd love to make our puppy an indoor dog but he chases the cats and Rex's grandpa and he just don't get along.
We fenced them in closer to the house and are going to start a tall wooden fence around the property this weekend since we don't know who poisoned them. We are hoping that if they can't so easily see people going by, they won't be so quick to bark, which will also give us the benefit of knowing that when they do bark it will be for a reason. We'll have to see how they are at playing an "if I can't see you, you aren't there" type of existence.

Pangur, sorry about your thread, I meant to tell you last night that I hope your next Halloween is not so empty...it can really be a lot of fun when people feel safe enough to go out. Sorry I forgot to, I am running on not enough sleep and too much to do everyday this week.

------------------

Pets Need Love Too

Old 11-02-2001, 12:56 AM   #35
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

Pangur, sorry about your thread, I meant to tell you last night that I hope your next Halloween is not so empty...it can really be a lot of fun when people feel safe enough to go out. Sorry I forgot to, I am running on not enough sleep and too much to do everyday this week.

Not a problem, Moni, I can forgive a fellow cat lover ( almost ) anything ...

Eleven cats - sigh ... envy ... I only have the one, and she is fiercely territorial so I can't have any more.

Pangur

------------------
-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------
"Sad is the society where people may walk their dogs in public without wearing a helmet and protective kneepads ...."
Old 11-02-2001, 06:34 AM   #36
Epona
Zartan

I just wanted to let you all know about my Hallowe'en.

I had a great party (as suggested by some folks here at IW - DM and Saz, thanks!). It was just for a few close friends, but we had a brilliant time, drinking, talking and dancing until dawn, I cooked all day and we had some good food (though I say so myself )

The origins of Hallowe'en:
Originally comes from the idea that at the new year (Samhain) the new year both ends and begins at dusk, so there is a period when there is no separation between this world and the next, hence spirits of the departed are able to come back to this world during that one night only. It is traditional to have a meal, laying places at the table for loved ones who have gone beyond - they will come back and share a meal with you. It is a celebration, not a sad occasion.

Trick or treating comes from the practice of wassailing - going from door to door to share food and wassail - a spiced alcoholic punch in a big wooden bowl. The idea was to share food and drink amongst all the neighbours - living and deceased.

The Jack-O-Lantern was used to light pathways, windows and doorways - so that the spirits of the dead could find their way home for the night, and also to scare away evil spirits who may try to use the turning of the year to come to earth and do mischief (the origin of the 'trick' aspect of trick or treat). In Ireland and England, Jacks were originally made with Turnips, and in Scotland large cabbage stalks were the preferred container for the candle. Settlers to the new world found the pumpkin ideal, and this has now spread as the 'Jack of choice' to England.

This idea of feasting with the dead is/was very widespread. Funeral feasts are common in many cultures, and are the origins of the Irish 'wake' where a party is held around the coffin, or the deceased is propped in a chair so they can attend the party (this usually now takes place after the burial though). In ancient Rome, the aristocracy used to hold huge funerary feasts. There is evidence that in the post-Roman periods in Europe there were feasts held at the cemetaries.

Day of the Dead is celebrated in Mexico and is similar to the origins of Hallowe'en.

Hope that is interesting!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 11-02-2001, 05:20 PM   #37
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
I only have the one, and she is fiercely territorial so I can't have any more.

Pangur
Thanks!
I used to have one of those cats. I was much better off financially!
She is up there on the list of the best cats I've ever had.

------------------

Long Live Ironworks!

Pets Need Love Too