Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-22-2003, 04:11 PM   #21
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Sounds Delightfull...

I wonder how "'round the twist" ended... *thinks back to his cildhood*
Old 03-22-2003, 04:46 PM   #22
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I'm going to be controversial here......

I thought Farscape was a superb concept that had some really nice moments (the cartoon episode was one). However, in the end it succumbed to the "Prisoner" and "X-files" syndrome where it started to believe it's own publicity and thought it could get away with anything. Thus style, trickery and obfuscation took precedence over plot and characterisation.

That's what killed it

P.S. I still want Chianna to visit me for next Xmas

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #23
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
I'm going to be controversial here......

I thought Farscape was a superb concept that had some really nice moments (the cartoon episode was one). However, in the end it succumbed to the "Prisoner" and "X-files" syndrome where it started to believe it's own publicity and thought it could get away with anything. Thus style, trickery and obfuscation took precedence over plot and characterisation.

That's what killed it

P.S. I still want Chianna to visit me for next Xmas
Very well put...

And I wonder what your chances of having Chianna for Xmas are... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 07:25 PM   #24
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:

And I wonder what your chances of having Chianna for Xmas are... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Zero - unless Gigi Edgley fancies a holiday in Scotland.

P.S. If you really want to mourn the demise of a series, light a candle for Dark Angel

[ 03-22-2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-23-2003, 03:52 PM   #25
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Finally, a topic worth spouting off about

Yes, the ending su kd, they took a cheap way out, kill off the hero, or render him help and hope-less in some sort of eternal limbo.....

btw, SOME of you other old coots must surely remember a show called QUANTUM LEAP? Now, that was worse, they went for seven years, then ended with some *ukd up (use consonant of your choice!) episode that ended with text message saying. "...and he never managed to leap back home" hah? wha?

So, no, I am not suprised, but wonder whether or not it was done on purpose to get fans riled up and emailing and calling.

SAGERIDER - you actually work for J. H. productions? I was going to get ahold of my sci-fi channel rep and start bugging him about what in the world had gone on with the show and why they did not pick up one of the best-rated shows they had, especially since they killed off the invisible man series as well.

Looks like they wish to pursue a strategy of developing new shows when the old ones become either to successful to keep on a shoestring budget, or too proud of themselves. After all, where else can a dedicated sci-fan turn for their fare, right?

bottom line: it really is a piss-poor way to manage a cinematic property, and I for one have as of friday night's last episode washed my hands of anything FARSCAPE

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 03-23-2003, 04:16 PM   #26
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Well, I must say that stargate SG-1 makes farscape look most pathetic [img]tongue.gif[/img] Its great stargate. Although i miss the episodes too often [img]tongue.gif[/img] Is farscape the one with the old man in the PVC suit? He's just scary.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #27
Tancred
White Dragon

Alas for Quantum Leap! The 'last episode'... was in fact the last episode of Season One, never aired. As the series drew to a close, they decided to use it as the final episode, and tacked on the 'never returned home' bit on the end.

I liked Quantum Leap. Best TV show on Thursdays ever.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #28
Grojlach
Zartan

Yikes! /)eathkiller, you *could* have used a spoiler tag, or at least include the word "Farscape" in the title of the thread, you know... The series has only just begun to run here in the Netherlands (season 1 is almost over now), and this is not something I wanted to know yet.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:44 PM   #29
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

The Quantum Leap ending was a great ending I thought. The entire show was about who or what power had been sending him all over time and why it was done. Just before the very end Sam is given the choice.

"You can go home right now. If you want to. You've done more than anyone has a right to ask or, you can continue with what you are doing. Things will get much harder too. You won't have Al to help you anymore. The choice is yours. Take some time and make up your mind." or something to that effect.

Sam thinks for awhile and says..."there is something I need to do before I give you an answer." Next you see him appear out of no-where infront of Al's first wife. He sets her down and tells his best friends near despondent wife that Al is alive and an POW in Vietnam. That he will be coming home. Then he tells her everything. They never really show him giving an answer. But, at the end they list all the great things done by all the people who he worked with on the Quantum Leap Project. The last thing shown on the show was the small statement...

"...and Dr Samuel Becket never returned home."

I thought that was one of the classiest endings I had ever seen.
That show was about how one man can change things for the better, if he cares.
The ending fit.

Just my opinion though...

[ 03-25-2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Wulfere ]