Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
Otto
The Magister

I was rolling-up a new character for a solo romp through IWD/HOW/ToTL, and based on some previous discussion posts decided on a human ranger that would dual to a cleric at 13th level.

So I rolled ability stats hoping for a total of about 92 points, and on my seventh attempt I rolled an even 100! This is my highest roll ever, and I allocated the points for these stats:

STR: 18/58
DEX: 18
CON: 18
INT: 12
WIS: 18
CHA: 16

Needless to say, I quickly exported this character when the game started in case I want to use him again.

I'm posting this just to see if there's anyone out there who's had similar improbable luck in their character creation. If you've rolled close to this or better, post your stats.

[ 11-12-2004, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Otto ]
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

For me my very first IWD char was a ranger and I rolled total-ninety-something-high-with-STR-18/91 in a few attempts.

Can remeber excatly but allocation went something like

STR 18/91
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 12
WIS 17
CHA 14
or somesuch

It seems ranger gets highest rolls... even better than paladin...
Old 11-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Otto
The Magister

Yeah, that makes sense. Of all the class/race combinations, Elf Rangers will get the generally have the highest stats:

_____P___R___Elf Ranger
STR__12__13__13
DEX__03__13__13
CON__09__14__14
INT__03__03__08
WIS__13__14__14
CHA__17__03__08

The Paladin gets a minimum 57 points, but 17 must be in CHA. It's actually pretty hard for a Paladin to get high DEX & CON without sacrificing too much INT.

The human or half-elf ranger gets a minimum 60 points, and can put more points in STR, DEX & CON than the Paladin without sacrificing too much INT.

The elf ranger gets a MINIMUM 70 points! And, can put all excess points in STR, DEX, & CON, and will still likely have avg or above average INT & CHA. In IWD, you simply cannot roll a bad elf ranger.

However, Paladins have unique abilities that may more than compensate for lower stats. For example, Prot. from Evil give the Paladin +2 AC, so a Paladin with Dex=16 and a Ranger with Dex=18 can have the same AC, and the Paladin will have a total +4 advantage on all saves over the Ranger.

Comparing elf rangers and paladins, I think the elf ranger has much better offensive capabilities: extra attack, +1 racial bonus with sword or bow, Max Dex=19 (+3 to hit with bows), & racial enemy; but the paladin has much better defense: Prot from Evil, +2 saves, Lay hands, & Turn Undead.

[ 11-09-2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Otto ]
Old 11-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Roboghost
Manshoon

Next time a miracle occurs do this:

INT: 10 (not 12)
CHA: 18 (not 16)

Better prices in stores. INT only needs to be at 10 in order to converse with most NPCs [there are about 3 or 4 other times a high INT will get you other dialogue options, but the INT must be around 16 plus for those.]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #5
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Roboghost:
Next time a miracle occurs do this:

INT: 10 (not 12)
CHA: 18 (not 16)

Better prices in stores. INT only needs to be at 10 in order to converse with most NPCs [there are about 3 or 4 other times a high INT will get you other dialogue options, but the INT must be around 16 plus for those.]
In purely pragmatic terms, a "Potion of Genius" will raise INT from 12 to 16, and the character can use 1 potion prior to each encounter to receive the extra experience points for figuring out whatever. Since I'm soloing, prices aren't much of an issue. I should have far more gold than I can spend.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

100 for a Ranger! I am impressed.

I roll Fighters the majority of the time, since they are the stock of which virtually all my DC characters are made. The best I can remember doing is a 90, for Druulf, my DC Fighter/Druid.

There was a post, must have been 2 years ago or so, where a guy would roll and roll and roll until he got the best reasonable roll for a certain race/class combination. Then he saved it as a "template" for that combination; and ever after would draw from his stock of templates when forming new parties.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I limit myself to about 5 mins of rolling, so as not to be TOO too powergaming in my stats. My best roll is on my recent (and recently retired due to a new computer) Fighter/Mage/Theif.

STR 18/06
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 15
DEX 3

4th shot, too.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #8
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
I limit myself to about 5 mins of rolling, so as not to be TOO too powergaming in my stats. My best roll is on my recent (and recently retired due to a new computer) Fighter/Mage/Theif.

STR 18/06
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 15
CHA 3

4th shot, too.
I see in another post that his name is Marty, too. I might have made him a little different, though this is only based on my personal preference.

First, I would have made him an elf instead of a half-elf. This way he could have DEX=19, 90% resistance to sleep & charm, better racial bonuses to thieving skills, and +1 racial bonus to hit with sword and bow.

Second, if I had 90 total points, I would have balanced Marty out a little better. Maybe make him a little less wise and a little more likable.

Here's my Marty:

Elf F/M/T

STR 18/06
DEX 19
CON 17
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 10

This Marty is a better a archer. With a composite bow, his starting THAC0=14. The old Marty had THAC0=16.

This Marty has better thieving skills. The combination of racial bonuses & DEX=19 make a difference.

This Marty is naturally smart enough to figure out all the dialogue options, and he'll still have INT=20 with a potion of genius; INT=19 with potion of mind focusing; and there are plenty of other items that can raise his INT another notch or two (swords, daggers, tomes, helms, etc).

Finally, this Marty will receive better prices for having "normal" CHA. He won't get the "most" favorable prices or dialogue options, but at least he's not completely repugnant.

Just my thoughts...
Old 11-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
I see in another post that his name is Marty, too. I might have made him a little different, though this is only based on my personal preference.

First, I would have made him an elf instead of a half-elf. This way he could have DEX=19, 90% resistance to sleep & charm, better racial bonuses to thieving skills, and +1 racial bonus to hit with sword and bow.

Second, if I had 90 total points, I would have balanced Marty out a little better. Maybe make him a little less wise and a little more likable.

Here's my Marty:

Elf F/M/T

STR 18/06
DEX 19
CON 17
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 10

This Marty is a better a archer. With a composite bow, his starting THAC0=14. The old Marty had THAC0=16.

This Marty has better thieving skills. The combination of racial bonuses & DEX=19 make a difference.

This Marty is naturally smart enough to figure out all the dialogue options, and he'll still have INT=20 with a potion of genius; INT=19 with potion of mind focusing; and there are plenty of other items that can raise his INT another notch or two (swords, daggers, tomes, helms, etc).

Finally, this Marty will receive better prices for having "normal" CHA. He won't get the "most" favorable prices or dialogue options, but at least he's not completely repugnant.

Just my thoughts...
Is he soloing? If so prices dont matter and its good to spend those Charisma points on Wisdom and Intelligence (and if not soling than what do you need the F/T/M for???)... However I very much agree on making him an elf instead of HE.

[ 11-12-2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 11-12-2004, 05:57 PM   #10
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I was thinking along the same lines as ZFR, though I forgot about the advantage of going for an elf instead of half. Yes, he is soloing (though this was just a test). I forget the case for IWD; does the WIS affect saving rolls? I know it does in IWD2.

The new Marty:

STR 18/??
DEX 19
CON 17
INT 18
WIS 15
CHA 3

This may conflict with an elf, in which case I will add to CHA accordingly.

On a side note, I like using the name Marty, due to its out-of-placeness. I always chuckle when Ven Moonson Dragonfire talks to a guy named Marty. He is usually my Paladin.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote