Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 07:39 AM   #1
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

What exactly am I doing wrong? When I go to sequence or contingency spells, I get loads of low level rubbishy spells (bar MM's of course). Meanwhile I'm reading about people who are chaining 3 greater malisons together, while I'm being offered spirit armor....
Old 07-18-2001, 08:10 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Minor Spell Sequencer:

You can store 2 spells of Lvl 2 and lower.

eg. Blur and Mirror Image

Contingency:

You can store 1 spell of Lvl 6 and lower.

eg. Dispel Magic when 'Helpless'

Spell Sequencer:

You can store 3 spells of Lvl 4 and lower.

eg. Greater Malison, Lower Resist and Polymorph.

Spell Trigger:

You can store 3 spells of Lvl 6 and lower.

eg. Protection from Magical Energy, Spell Shield and Spell Immunity.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

There's still Chain Contingency, but I'm not too sure how that works. The spells are Lvl 4, Lvl 6, Lvl 7, and Lvl 8 respectively. Chain Contingency is Lvl 9.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:11 AM   #3
dragon_lord
Elminster

Theres spell sequencer and minor spell sequencer. Spell sequencer can store 3 spells at level 4 or lower. Minor spell sequencer can only store 2 spells level 2 and lower. As for contingency that gets better as your mage levels up. At 18th level your mage can store a spell 6th level and lower.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:55 AM   #4
Graccus
Dungeon Master

Chain Contingency like Contingency in that it has to be triggered by an event, like See enemy or 50% hit points. Chain contingency lets you target yourself or opponents, and lets you store 3 spells of 8th level or less. Quite a potent spell. I use it to chain together Mislead, Protection from Magical Weapons (or Improved Mantle), and Spell Shield. Or, if I'm about to take on a Dragon I'll just store 3 Horrid Wiltings in it. When accompanied by 3 Lower Resistances in a Spell trigger, this is quite lethal (especially when you have 3 mages in your party).
Old 07-18-2001, 10:35 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Graccus is 100% correct in his description on Chain Contingency. The only negative comment I have about that spell is that, unlike the PnP spell, you can't set the spells to be cast either simultaneously or in a sequence.

DonkeyWan, don't underestimate the usefulness of those "rubbishy" low level spells available through Minor Sequencer. Two Magic Missile spells will deliver an average of 35 points of damage; follow this with, say, Power Word: Stun for good effect. If you have a cleric/mage (like Aerie) then Minor Sequencer also stores cleric spells, allowing you to cast 2x Armor of Faith (for protection) or 2x Doom (for -4 to saving throws). Follow this logic and know that the other Sequencer spells also store cleric spells.

In short, Minor Sequencer may only store up to 2nd level spells, but you can get very interesting combinations.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?

[This message has been edited by Azred (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 10:45 AM   #6
Starkiller
The Magister

A minor spell sequencor with 2 chromatic orbs has a good chance of killing just about anything
Old 07-19-2001, 07:27 PM   #7
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

thanks guys
Old 07-22-2001, 05:22 PM   #8
sauron1955
Dungeon Master

How & where do you obtain these devices/spells for sequencing,contingency,trigger sign me up. I just got my butt kicked in the sewers under the temples, by about 4 spell casters and a couple of axe wielders.I think I got here to soon.

------------------
chance favors a prepared mind