Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2001, 08:20 PM   #1
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Does anyone know anything about Lieden University in Holland?
*smiles in Melusines' direction*

My university course has the option of spending a semester abroad, doing a small research project at another uni. Out of the options we were given my top choice at the moment is Lieden. I was just wondering what sort of reputation it had, especially in the sciency areas. Any other information about it would be useful as well - particuarly the location of the nearest drinking establishments
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 11-23-2001, 05:28 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL, well I studied in Amsterdam at the Free University so though I like being smiled at, I'm not sure if I can help you
One small thing though; the city's name is Leiden

I'll look around on websites for a bit today and let you know anything I can find, ok. [img]smile.gif[/img]
But anyway, Leiden is a reputable, well-known university in the area of science here, so you can't go wrong as far as that's concerned. It's also known for their slightly dorky students - dutchies would call them 'corpsballen'. They are usually members of student societies where they brag about their sexual and drinking prowess and usually proceed to put it in practise... I don't know whether you'd consider that a good or a bad thing [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway I'll go and see what I can find now [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2001, 06:34 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Well, if you haven't already got it, here's the English-language site of Leiden University: Leiden University

It was hard to find any information in English, but from what I hear it is a very good university with lots of activities for students going on. Leiden is a beautiful city and it has lots of bars, cafes and cheap restaurants. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's some info in English that I found:

Leiden University in The Netherlands is one of Europe's most highly acclaimed international universities, with a world-renowned reputation in comparative and international law subjects. BUSL students pursue such topics as public international law, European Community law, jurisprudence, legal history, canon law, and East European law, to name only a few, learning from scholars and practitioners intimately connected with one of the most significant developments of our time, the formation of the European Economic Community. The school's close proximity to The Hague and War Crimes Tribunal allows students to observe proceedings at some of the world’s most venerable international legal institutions. The city of Leiden's rich historical tradition and active international student population also make it an ideal setting to study international topics.

This is a great site for information, especially addresses, on the city itself:
VVV Leiden
Old 11-23-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

What more is there to add?
I think you've got it all Mel

Too bad you're not going to the RuG (in Groningen), that's probably where I'll end up [img]smile.gif[/img]

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 11-23-2001, 12:53 PM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

[img]smile.gif[/img] Hope you have a good time in Grunning'n then

Bumping for Staralfur....
Old 11-23-2001, 12:56 PM   #6
Campino

whoaaaaa!!!

It's fun to hear someone from Amsterdam pronounce Groningen in dialect.Think you must be dutch to understand though...

lol,melusine
Old 11-23-2001, 01:03 PM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Campino:
whoaaaaa!!!

It's fun to hear someone from Amsterdam pronounce Groningen in dialect.Think you must be dutch to understand though...

lol,melusine

Are you from Groningen then? Wow, we have so many kaaskoppen here!
I can write it phonetically, yes, but I wouldn't be too sure about pronunciation

My family originally came from Friesland and Groningen [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2001, 01:06 PM   #8
Campino

No,i'm not from the north,i live in Gelderland,about 100 km east of Amsterdam.If you pronounce Gruning'n the way you write it,i think it sounds very Grunings.Bet that word can't be found in het groene boekje,hahaha
Old 11-23-2001, 01:10 PM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Campino:
No,i'm not from the north,i live in Gelderland,about 100 km east of Amsterdam.If you pronounce Gruning'n the way you write it,i think it sounds very Grunings.Bet that word can't be found in het groene boekje,hahaha

Hmm....what a lot of Dutchies actually... Four in the Randstad that I know of (me, Velkyn, Arledrian and Skunk), Groj is from Eindhoven, Rikard from Apeldoorn, Link from somewhere in Brabant, Mirac from Limburg, Legolas from Groningen and you from Gelderland...
We need to get together for a multiplay marathon!
BTW Ik weiger het groene boekje te lezen sinds de spellingsvernieuwing...nu lees ik alleen nog het rode boekje...muahahahahahaha!!
Old 11-23-2001, 01:13 PM   #10
Legolas
Jack Burton

I think it would be more like Grun'n. I'm not entirely sure, as I only speak ABN. Despite having lived only a mere 13 kilometers from Groningen my entire life, 10001 years, I don't understand more than a few words of dialect...