Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Question Mark Genesis v Genesis

Which camp do you fall in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/Gen...ate-11232.html

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Genesis v Genesis

Personally (isn't that a redundant way to start?) I lean more toward the old Genesis and much more to Peter Gabriel than Phil Collins. I certainly give both of them credit though. Peter is brilliant in a very different form, with is African influenced songs etc.

Phil is also very good, even though the sound is more "commercial". If it's a style he enjoys playing, who cares? Lots of people listen to it and enjoy it. He does have a few really good ones like, No Son of mine. Those are heavy lyrics. Solsbury Hill is really the opposite. I guess that tells you how different their characters are.

..wonder if Peter wrote "Big Time" about Phil....

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 08-15-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post

..wonder if Peter wrote "Big Time" about Phil....
Oooooh!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Zebodog

I lean towards the Collins era but do like the occasional tune while Gabriel was out in front. Personally, I prefer Peter Gabriel's solo work to his Genesis stuff. His version of Don't Give Up with Sinead O'Connor was incredible and In Your Eyes is my all time favourite song. Period.

Along the same lines, I prefer Collins' solo efforts to his Genesis days as well. I can always find something that fits my interests from Face Value. To date, there's nothing like cranking up In the Air Tonight and playing the "air drums." I liked Hello, I Must be Going as well. He seemed to go more mainstream from there; almost like the music lost it's edge.

Let's not forgot the Calling All Stations fiasco with Ray Wilson...ugh...I remember first finding the album and buying it immediately thinking this was some long, lost masterpiece. Boy was I surprised.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebodog View Post
I lean towards the Collins era but do like the occasional tune while Gabriel was out in front. Personally, I prefer Peter Gabriel's solo work to his Genesis stuff. His version of Don't Give Up with Sinead O'Connor was incredible and In Your Eyes is my all time favourite song. Period.

Along the same lines, I prefer Collins' solo efforts to his Genesis days as well. I can always find something that fits my interests from Face Value. To date, there's nothing like cranking up In the Air Tonight and playing the "air drums." I liked Hello, I Must be Going as well. He seemed to go more mainstream from there; almost like the music lost it's edge.

Let's not forgot the Calling All Stations fiasco with Ray Wilson...ugh...I remember first finding the album and buying it immediately thinking this was some long, lost masterpiece. Boy was I surprised.
Actually it was Kate Bush on "Don't Give Up" But yeah great song. Sinead was on "Us" on "Blood of Eden" and "Come Talk To Me".

Agreed about Face Value. And Agreed about Gabriel's solo work. I'm a HUUUUGE Gabriel fan, but growing up loved the "Invisible Touch" album.

I love the irony of Gabriel's first #1 "Sledgehammer" knocking off Genesis' first #1 "Invisible Touch" from the US #1 spot in 1986. Craziness...!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I'm firmly in the Collins camp. Some of Gabriel's songs are....interesting...but I'm not a huge fan of any of them.

And I simply can't understand the perspective of the article's author when he says (paraphrased) "Gabriel's music with Genesis was so weird that sometimes I had no idea what he was talking about, but I still love it and it's deeper than anything Collins ever did."

Uh..if you can't even understand a song, then how can you like it better than one you do understand? Since Gabriel fronted Genesis in the 70's, his "weird music" might easily have had more to do with drugs than any "deeper meaning", but that's just my perspective.

I'm a huge fan of Collins. One of my favorite songs of all time is "That's All". It just has a really catchy hook that I can't fully explain-but at least I can understand what he was talking about.

It also came out in 1983-84, my first year far away from home at a major college, so ALL of the music from that year still has a big impact on me.

Songs like "True" by Spandau Ballet, "Take Me To Heart" by Quarterflash, "Turn Around Bright Eyes" by Bonnie Tyler and many others. That was also the year Cyndi Lauper burst onto the Pop Music scene. Lionel Richie was HUGE that year, as was Billy Joel. In fact, their two biggest songs from that year have a reverse effect on me. To this day, I still absolutely DESPISE "Uptown Girl" and "All Night Long", because the radio station I listened to them played them CONSTANTLY. Honostly, no matter WHEN I turned on the radio, one of those two songs would either be playing already, or would come on within the next 3 songs. I just got sick of them.

Oh, "Modern Love" by David Bowie is another favorite of mine from that year. But my absolute, all time favorite will always be "Melt With You", by Modern English.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
I'm firmly in the Collins camp. Some of Gabriel's songs are....interesting...but I'm not a huge fan of any of them.

And I simply can't understand the perspective of the article's author when he says (paraphrased) "Gabriel's music with Genesis was so weird that sometimes I had no idea what he was talking about, but I still love it and it's deeper than anything Collins ever did."

Uh..if you can't even understand a song, then how can you like it better than one you do understand? Since Gabriel fronted Genesis in the 70's, his "weird music" might easily have had more to do with drugs than any "deeper meaning", but that's just my perspective.

I'm a huge fan of Collins. One of my favorite songs of all time is "That's All". It just has a really catchy hook that I can't fully explain-but at least I can understand what he was talking about.

It also came out in 1983-84, my first year far away from home at a major college, so ALL of the music from that year still has a big impact on me.

Songs like "True" by Spandau Ballet, "Take Me To Heart" by Quarterflash, "Turn Around Bright Eyes" by Bonnie Tyler and many others. That was also the year Cyndi Lauper burst onto the Pop Music scene. Lionel Richie was HUGE that year, as was Billy Joel. In fact, their two biggest songs from that year have a reverse effect on me. To this day, I still absolutely DESPISE "Uptown Girl" and "All Night Long", because the radio station I listened to them played them CONSTANTLY. Honostly, no matter WHEN I turned on the radio, one of those two songs would either be playing already, or would come on within the next 3 songs. I just got sick of them.

Oh, "Modern Love" by David Bowie is another favorite of mine from that year. But my absolute, all time favorite will always be "Melt With You", by Modern English.

This is not a man on drugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35wt...e=1217867205.2

Literature was more of an inspiration than drugs. He was telling stories and playing characters. Many of the songs are not apparently obvious because they are taking a number of characters perspectives.

In this song, inspired by the Nursery Rhyme about "Old King Cole" he's a number of characters. Two girls near the start, and Old King Cole at the end. (Now Now Now!)

So while one may not understand completely what's going on, one can appreciate the depth of the work through partially understanding it.

In any case, this song is musically amazing. Genesis (Phil Collins included) were a band of astounding musicians. Breathtakingly brilliant. Many people grieve the pop transition because the focus seemed to shift from brilliant musical playing to a more business-like modality. Pop formats.

I mean Hackett was the first guy to tap guitar strings (Van Halen style) and string swipe ala (Malmsteen style). They were extraordinarily innovative musicians.

NOW, that innovation has moved on to bands like Radiohead for example. (Although Gabriel's solo work is still very innovative)

That said, I do enjoy the songs from Invisible Touch, but for different reasons. As a musician I am in awe of their early work. I mean they are 20 in this video... But awe, and emotional connection are two very different things. I emotionally connect with simpler songs. Thus I connect with Gabriel's "Secret World" more than "Music Box"

Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I have a hard time listening to any song over 7 minutes long and I only made it through the first couple of this one. Songs like this just bore me to death.

I'm just not into "deep" songs. I'm more of the American Bandstand "It has a good beat and I can dance to it" crowd. Guess that makes me shallow, but it's what I like.

I'll take the pounding drums and ripping riffs of AC/DC over songs like "Music Box" any day of the week. The only "deep" songs I like are Christian Rock - and most of those are more praise songs than story songs.

I think songs like "I Can Only Imagine" represent the pinnacle of musical achievement. It grabs the listener immediately with the lyrics, but also lays out the meaning in a very clear and concise manner.

I also like clever songs like "You Can't Keep a Good Man Down" and songs that address current issues like "Saving the World". Those are the kind of lyrics that really move and inspire me.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Cool Cerek.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Zebodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
Actually it was Kate Bush on "Don't Give Up" But yeah great song. Sinead was on "Us" on "Blood of Eden" and "Come Talk To Me".
Peter Gabriel also did a live version of "Don't Give Up" with Sinead and Sting.

http://www.imeem.com/people/ZiR_Xy7/...t_give_up_liv/
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote