Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-23-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Where to begin?

In Australia (State of NSW) we are currently going through our "Spring Carnival" which is lots of cool horse races for our customers to waste money on. When I say "our" customers, it is because I work for Australia's biggest gambling company.

Unfortunately, I was stupid enough to become a customer today

The big race today was at Moonee Valley. It was called the Carlton Cox Plate. I decided to put $10 on a horsie called Savabeel. But because of work limitations, I had to stay put while a coworker put the bet on for me.

Unfortunately, I am pretty retarded. As a result, I told my workmate the wrong horse number. Not only this, but said Co-worker put $20 on the horse, not $10.

Now, I dunno about what everyone else thinks, but I've heard that it is REALLY bad luck to change a bet once it has been placed. So I didn't change it, even though the option was there. You can all guess what happened.

Thats right... my original horse choice won. Not only that, but it paid like $10 for every dollar. I So wanted to cry.

Looking at it now (only about 2 hours past the horrible horrible event) I can't help but laugh. Instead of being over $120 richer, I'm $20 down. And all because I didn't trust my gut feeling. DAMN YOU! DAAAAAAMN!

Sorry, I know there isn't much point to this thread... I really just needed to share my pain. My GOD the pain.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, remember us at IW

[ 10-23-2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 10-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
You learned an important lesson then, yes? Trust your instincts.

(Certainly it's not "don't bet on horses" because that's no fun at all)

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

thats the thing that always happens to me, especially when i play actio games. for example, ill play AvP (Aliens versus Predator) and be waiting to heal myself on a level. it takes forever for the field charge (energy) to go up high enough if is been depleted so that i could heal myself. so im waiting forever, not one alien yet. i open the medicomp, and while the healing action is on, two aliens came and killed me before im done.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:31 PM   #5
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
You learned an important lesson then, yes? Trust your instincts.

(Certainly it's not "don't bet on horses" because that's no fun at all)
Damn straight babe.

My supervisor on the day said to me "Well, I hope you've learned a valuable lesson today."

I replied: "Yes I have actually; always place my own bets, and trust my OWN instincts... not other peoples'."
Old 10-23-2004, 07:43 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I gamble too Dave. but with much much higher numbers than yours on every weeks' football matches. When there is tournament ( world cup , euro ) the amount will go even larger. It's kinda a hobbie for me.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I am not a gambler, mostly because it is illegal here.....but we do have a horse track a few towns down, just not ever been
Old 10-24-2004, 04:52 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Betting is illegal Stormymystic??? Even horse racing?

LOL Dave similar thing has happened to me I dont bet on horses that often and when I do have a win it's always a case of 'I should have bet more' rather than 'whoot I just won $xx'

Just a little aside...Is it legal for a TAB employee to gamble [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-24-2004, 05:25 AM   #9
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Its not illegal, but against company policy while on duty. lol... but, lucky for me my COWORKER put the bet on... not I

I think that you lose your job... but I doubt that it would be put into practice unless it occurs several times.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:43 AM   #10
valknova
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think there's a lot of hypocrisy about what constitutes gambling. In my opinion, every time you go driving on the motorway, you are gambling. The stake is the money you've spent on the car & also your limbs/life. Add to that the fact that many drivers see it as exciting and a 'game' if they can exceed the speed limit and not get caught.
Its the same with smoking.Every time I reach for a smoke,the pack says "smoking kills!!" in enormous letters. Why don't we have the same warnings printed on the sides of cars? You are much more likely to die of car-crashes than smoking IMO. Somehow,driving is exempt from health warnings,despite the dangers,but having a smoke after work is seen as a tragedy waiting to happen,a lost soul who dances with the devil. Here's a link on a recent news story, that in China 300 people A DAY die in car-accidents:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_322695.htm

[ 10-24-2004, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: valknova ]