Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2001, 05:02 PM   #1
Ziroc

Many have asked for this forum to be created, and I too think it should be.. The 'War' posts have been flooding our General Discussion forum, and many people don't wish to keep seeing these threads.

If you wish to discuss anything, please keep it polite, and NO attacks, and no racist remarks will be allowed. All Normal Moderators will have full access to this forum as well.

Just adding some general guidelines as well to Ziroc's post.
  • I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.[/list]
    This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others.

• Debating is not about winning or losing, it's about expressing a point of view and listening to another person expressing theirs. There is no shame in agreeing to disagree when the argument starts to go nowhere.[/list]
      • Don't take things personally. Life's too short to get upset about another person's point of view.[/list]
        I know most of you love a good spirited debate, since most of you are quite strongly opinionated, if somewhat tactless about expressing opinions, serenely confident in your righteousness and in the other's wrongness. This is not a problem unless you start making snide remarks about each other which don't have anything to do with the topic at hand, as this usually leads to shouting profanities at each other, which then becomes a problem. However, I'm sure will not happen, given that we're all VERY good at exercising self-control, right?

Just remember that two of the most difficult things to do on the internet are: 1) admit that you can't change the other person's point of view; and 2) accept that failing to change the other person's point of view does NOT mean you have lost the argument.

- Memnoch

Thanks guys,

------------------
        Ziroc™
        Ironworks Webmaster
        www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 05:33 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, Ziroc! We'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 05:40 PM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I for one feel that this is not a good idea, but since you are the webmaster, of course it is your choice. Just voicing my opinion!!! I guess General Discussion isn't general at all!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 05:50 PM   #4
Tuor
Elminster

Personally think its a great idea, I sometimes want to post on what's happening in Afghanistan and sometimes I don't.

This will save time and effort and I'm a deeply lazy man at heart
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 05:50 PM   #5
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I'm behind this 100%. There has been a lot of on and off forum discussion about setting up a separate area for "serious" topics. This seems to be a perfect opportunity to try the experiment with posts related to this subject.

Give it a chance and see how it pans out.

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-10-2001).]
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 06:19 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Dan, it's definitely worth a try. If it works, great and if not, we'll find out soon enough!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 06:59 PM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I would like to add a positive aspect (from someone who's not sure if this is the best solution yet): At least I don't have to filter through several pages of posts to find one of these now. I'd dare to post and occasionally have trouble finding the thread again if I went away for a while. Or see an intriguing post and want to see the reply. Now at least they are all grouped together.
DragonMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 12:20 AM   #8
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for creating this forum!!!!!!!!

Now we can post and not impose on anyone who doesn't want to seee it! We can also not be tempted into entering it when just looking for lighthearted threads!!! My hat's off to you, sir!!!!!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

"I've had it up to here, listening to a small segment of people try to put down America! America's the greatest land on Earth, and we oughta be proud of what we have! I'm proud of America, I'm proud of our people, and I'm gonna prove it. We're American and DAMN proud of it! Frankly I'm getting a little ticked off...go ta ****"... Dink (if anyone knows who originally said this, please let me know!)
Liliara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 03:55 AM   #9
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Well...I'm still not entirely sure this is a good idea either. But, it'll defenitely be a good test run for the possibility of a Serious Discussion forum.

Even though I'm not in 100% agreement Ziroc, thanks for letting us stay in your romper room and not just booting us in the butt.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Nachtrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 08:18 AM   #10
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

I think it is an excellent idea.

I hope it is eventually expanded into a forum for discussions of a more serious nature, since those sorts of things are apparently frowned upon by many of the general discussion members. This way they have absolutely no grounds for complaining about a thread that they don't approve of.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 10-11-2001).]
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown is offline   Reply With Quote