Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-10-2001, 02:06 AM   #11
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

This might sound dumb, but the list didn't include dispel magic. What is this spell used for?

When it says "you can't target spells on blah,blah" what is the best way around this because dispel magic usually gets rid of my good stuff as well.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:22 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Ludtke:
This might sound dumb, but the list didn't include dispel magic. What is this spell used for?
When it says "you can't target spells on blah,blah" what is the best way around this because dispel magic usually gets rid of my good stuff as well.

Use Remove Magic then, or use True Sight/Detect Invisibility to dispel the invisibility.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 02:59 AM   #13
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Those are both level 3, and I took dispel instead of remove. Learnt the hard way that your PI should NEVER cast dispel magic.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:19 AM   #14
Whailor

Indeed, the Dispel Magic is a little brat which smacks my party members harder then the mobs on what I cast it heh.. I remember when I first time used it long time ago - buffed party up (forget what mob it was, some bad lich or something), went to mob, shot the Dispel Magic at it and.... saw how my own buffs went poof! faster then I could say "Drat and double drat!".. Wasn't pretty.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:45 AM   #15
perk31
Manshoon

There are four key breaker spells that a mage should always have ready:

Dispel Magic
Breach
True Sight
Ruby Ray of Reversal.

These four will dispel any protective or shield magics your enemy will have.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:13 AM   #16
gabriel986
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My picks for removal spells:
True sight
Secret word (way underrated, it's a great spell at level 4)
Ruby ray of reversal
Breach
+ maybe later Spellstrike

As for protection:
Shield
Blur
Vocalize
Stoneskin
Spell deflection/ Spell turning
(Spell trap with the Staff of the Magi)
Spell Shield (protects from the next removal spell)
for quick effect use Spell Trigger and Sequencers.

Never used dispel or remove magic as an offensive spell. Can anyone list what protections do they remove?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:28 AM   #17
Kaleban
Manshoon

One thing I've noticed is that Breach will often appear to work, but when you try to thwack someone, it fails.

This is because the Breach sound and spell effects play out, but if the enemy has a Spell Trap or Deflection, it won't actually work.

Best thing to do? ALWAYS hit a spell-capable enemy (liches, dragons, high-level wizards) with a Ruby Ray (Secret Word if you don't have Ruby Ray, ineffective against Spell-Traps though) before any other spells. The downside? A mage won't have many Ruby-Rays memorized usually, unless he knows beforehand, and a Sorcerer may need other level 7 spell castings, or may have exhausted them on PI already!

If you're a mage, a good rule of thumb is to hit the enemy with a Ruby Ray, then a Spell Thrust, then a Breach. Anything left over can be done by a Dispel Magic.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:34 AM   #18
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, what most probably happened was that you hit a Spell Shield with your Breach. You need to remove the Spell Shield first, before casting Breach. So just cast Breach twice to get through.

Spell Trap/Deflection/Turning do not absorb Breach.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:37 AM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
A mage won't have many Ruby-Rays memorized usually, unless he knows beforehand, and a Sorcerer may need other level 7 spell castings, or may have exhausted them on PI already!

Remember that PI can cast Ruby Rays of Reversal as Well, and it would take about 5-6 battles before he really runs out of level 7 spells.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:08 PM   #20
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

what all does Glitterdust remove, just invis, or is it useful for things like Blur and Mirror Image