Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 10-25-2002, 11:35 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Combat in this game really put me off, in the end I uninstalled and sold it on amazon I got so sick of 20 minute battles with weak enemies. I was so disapointed.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

You gave up too early then.

Of course, when your party begins you don't have much for resources - no good weapons, no good spells, etc. (Unless you imported from Wizardry 7).

So naturally, battles are going to take longer, as your party grows.

In time, you will get a weapon (Bloodlust) that makes any fighting class, a shredding machine, and a MESS of spells that will make your casters - both mages and priest type alike, a force to be recokned with.

I am at a point now, where I can face about 20 monsters (as it often happens in the Rapax Castle), and be done with them in no more than about 2 minutes.

Charging up to them, my fighter and Valk and Rogue chew through them - while my mage casts any number of his fire level spells, or his asphixiation spell - and my priest does lifesteal, death wish, or any number of her spells...

And next thing I know, I am cleaning the blood off my blade and robes.

Shame you gave up on the game. I don't recall seeing your name here on this forum... you could have asked for some pointers that might have really helped in getting through the battles...
Old 10-25-2002, 04:42 PM   #3
bling bling
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have to second what Vaprakgruumsh said. Combat can be laborious when you're fighting challenging creatures, but at a certain point in the game those 5 groups of 5 bandits or 8 juggernaughts, 4 caustic weeds, and 3 siges become less of a threat and simply more experience on your way to kicking bigger and badder ass.

My last runthough, I was using the Bard's hex bagpipes in conjunction with my Mage's asphyxiation spell with devistating results. The Rapax army at Ascension Peak was killed off in two rounds, leaving only the demon child and the Prince to handle. Combat becomes much more fun once you get some of the more interesting spells to cast, in my estimation. Sorry you experience was less than enjoyable.

bb
bling bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:36 PM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

There's definitely a learning curve with Wizardry 8, takes a while to know how to create effective characters for combat, how to fight with good tactics too. And also it takes some time before your characters build up to where they can bully pretty much anyone they come across, but when it does happen (trust me it does!) it's quite a nice feeling of accomplishment.

If I were you I'd go back on E-bay and buy yourself a copy, if you give it some time you will end up becoming a happy addict
Old 10-28-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

20 minutes for a small fight is way too much. 5 minutes should be enough.
Be sure to set the 'monster movement speed' option to fastest (x5).
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:57 PM   #6
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Also there is that "wiz fast" patch that speeds up the monster's movement in combat, definitely worth having. The game is too combat-heavy IMHO, but still a great one.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:25 AM   #7
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks for your comments guys. I didn't know about the Wiz Fast patch, that may have helped me, the very fact there is one though indicates a problem though doesn't it?.
I had completed a good proportion of the game, I just couldn't take any more wiggle wiggle wiggle, one iron weed moves, wiggle wiggle wiggle etc etc yawn!.

Thankfully I found Wizards and Warriors on Ebay, a far better game in every respect, oh yeah, and I prefer my fantasy "Pure" (ie no space ships!).
I'm not saying it was all bad, I really enjoyed my 1st 10 hours or so and the character management was good.

[ 10-30-2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]
Old 10-29-2002, 10:04 AM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
I had completed a good proportion of the game, I just couldn't take any more wiggle wiggle wiggle, one iron weed moves, wiggle wiggle wiggle etc etc yawn!.
I was also fed up with combat. It was very nice when one guy created wizfast.exe. It fixed the movement rate, so the monsters walk very fast. Unfortunately it didn't fix the action-speed, so some fights still takes very long. At least there are no more "wiggle wiggle, one iron weed moves, wiggle wiggle wiggle...".
Old 11-11-2002, 11:39 PM   #9
John_Tesh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

where do you get wizfast.exe? That would be incrediably helpful during battles...
John_Tesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:38 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Try here, it's called the "speed enhancer":

http://www.geocities.com/shau185/downloads.html