Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
philip
Galvatron

So today I was fed up with lycos ads as they managed to do the unthinkable, putting even more ads on their sites. So on my search for a new host I signed up for one and everything works ok.

But.. I'm actually doubting if it was a good idea as I found out later that none of the subsites is working except for the signup. There's no contact information and the link to the company is dead. Only good link is to the page's creator.

Does anyone have any experiences with this site? Any tips?

This is the site I'm talkin about http://www.freewebsites.com/
Old 06-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Not familiar with the site, but I think its peak was a few years ago already. Found some reviews of the site, all dated years ago.

http://sitereview.org/?article=51
http://freehosting-freewebsites-free...ewebsites.html
http://www.free-webhosts.com/reviews/FreeWebsites.php

The second one actually links to a sample page that seems to have turned into a dead link, so that's not much of a help either.
The third one has a comment regarding the fact that they don't accept any new signups at this point. You didn't mention a similar message, but perhaps it's all under construction at the moment?

Oh, and here's a discussion on another forum on freewebsites, which started in 2002 already but seems to have posts listed in may 2004 - and it seems more people have trouble with this particular host.

http://forum.weblamp.net/index.php?b...id=359&start=0

Anyways, next time, just use google - the above links were just a few out of many that I've found. You'd be surprised at the large amount of review sites that are around for free web hosting services.

[ 06-12-2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 06-13-2004, 04:18 AM   #3
philip
Galvatron

I've seen the reviews and thought it was okay. But I just found the lack of links to any company a bit strange, and another host I tried appeared to be a form to add yourself to spam lists. It works OK so I'm just going to see and hope all goes well.

I was more afraid of it being some scam. Though I couldn't find anything about that on google except that some hosted sites there are scams.

Thanks for the help!

[ 06-13-2004, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
Old 06-13-2004, 06:22 AM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Nah, not a scam... Just one of the many free webhosts who have gotten into trouble delivering the goods.
Hope it'll turn out fine in the next couple of days, though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Just one of the many free webhosts who have gotten into trouble delivering the goods.
Hope it'll turn out fine in the next couple of days, though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I wasn't worried about that it has been working no trouble. But after signup the offer compared to other hosts looked a bit too good especially coupled with no contact info and the site not finished. LOL I've seen a bit too many hosts yesterday I think, and most of them had disadvantages that I only found after I had signed up, luckily I found this one [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

If the question "was this stupid?" is even lingering in your mind then the answer is probably yes
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 06-14-2004, 01:25 AM   #7
philip
Galvatron

ROFL I know [img]smile.gif[/img]