Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2001, 03:45 AM   #1
Tor Henrik Hovi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, going to play the game from scratch again, this time I'm going solo.
(No party members, I got inspired by someone in this forum doing just that)
What I'd like to do is to generate a character who can
-Wield a Longswoord (My favorite)
-Wear most armor and helmets (A must for a solo player I think)
-Use a shield and a sling (Shield of reflection must be good for a solo player?)
-Use wands/Staffs (Cloudkill and monster summoning I love them)
-Find traps/open locks (Gotta get to the good stuff)

I started creating a Haf-Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief but I'm not satisfied with him.
Is it possible to start out as a Fighter, then Multiclass over to a Fighter/Thief and then again multiclass into a Fighter/Mage/Thief?

Does anybody have any experience to share about playing solo?
Old 03-20-2001, 03:54 AM   #2
Lord Shield

Only humans can dual-class. Only humans can multi-class. If it wasn't for the blunt weapon limit, I'd suggest a Cleric/Fighter/Mage

Old 03-20-2001, 03:56 AM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Heh....you mean non-human for multi-class right? I would also suggest you have some proficiencies on katanas and hammers, for obvious reasons. And running away is also one of the tactics.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-20-2001, 02:47 PM   #4
Marillion
The Magister

I'm playing with same as you..
Half elf: Fighter/Mage/Thief
And I'm not quite satisfied with it either.
I think i should have dropped the fighter to raise thief and mage faster.
The backstab/set traps skill with thief is something really useful.
On the other hand with the fighter you gain cure light wounds as special skill which is good to keep your game time down (if you care aboute that)
Rest until heald without healingspells take 30 days or something
You also get more hitpoints as fighter but that thing solves later in the game anyway though it might be a hard time in the start.
Tactics, again Backstab and set traps.. a bit boring and coward tactig but it is nessesary to make it singel I think.

So.. The Item thing..
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
If you get away to Trademeet as fast as possible you can kill one of the arguing
familis head to get a Elven chainmail, which you can wield and still cast spell.
Another way to get the AC down is to go to Adventurers Mart and bou Bracers of AC 3 but they are expensive.
As you for sure hav noticed you can use both shield and helmet with this multiclass.
Wands is no problem for the mage (except "Wand of the Heavenes" which is only usable by priests)

------------------
Old 03-20-2001, 04:04 PM   #5
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ok, I have a little suggestion for those who play as a fighter/mage/thief.

* First of all, there are potions, almost endless of them so use them all the time. Healing potions, potion of thievery (stealing), potion of invisibilty etc. (you don't really need the special ability heal light wounds). Go to the temple also if you are nearby.

* Scrolls, use them all the time (protection from undead especially)

* The fighter's skill is to lower the THACO and get more hp to your character so that you hit the monsters when you backstab and can defend yourself. You can also specialize in a weapon which is a lot better than being proficient.

* Wand of cloudkill, wand of monster summoning is very useful.

* Equip the fighter/mage/thief with robe of vecna, Tuigan bow, and a katana or longsword. Also get the shield of balduran, Vhailors helmet, girdle of giant strenght and mercykiller ring.

* If you are facing hard opponents, you should protect yourself with stoneskin, blur, fireshield etc

* Try to get the boot of speeds as quick as possible.

* If you are facing demons, pitfiends, put a scroll of protection from magical weapons (I have found 3 in the game) in your quickslot, then use Vhailors helmet and let your "copy" use the scroll, then let him fight the monster. He will not take a hit. (maybe it is a she...) While at it, you can try to backstab the monster while it is busy.

With boot of speeds, everything will be so much easier. Remember, you can always run or hide if things get too hot. Since you are also a mage there is a lot of tactics that can be used to kill monsters which is a lot of fun.

The fighter/mage/thief is good at everything but master of none, so if you want a master you should pick a pure class or a dualled class.

[This message has been edited by el_kalkylus (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 05:14 PM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I think you might have to sacrafice the longsword and do the mage/thief thing. If you want wands period you are going to need to be a mage, and if you are a mage, you can't cast with armor on. I don't know how this would work, but maybe a druid or cleric/thief. You could summon, have some decent offensive spells, great defensive spells, and wear armor and carry some decent weapons.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:18 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Tor Henrik Hovi:
OK, going to play the game from scratch again, this time I'm going solo.
(No party members, I got inspired by someone in this forum doing just that)
What I'd like to do is to generate a character who can
-Wield a Longswoord (My favorite)
-Wear most armor and helmets (A must for a solo player I think)
-Use a shield and a sling (Shield of reflection must be good for a solo player?)
-Use wands/Staffs (Cloudkill and monster summoning I love them)
-Find traps/open locks (Gotta get to the good stuff)

I started creating a Haf-Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief but I'm not satisfied with him.
Is it possible to start out as a Fighter, then Multiclass over to a Fighter/Thief and then again multiclass into a Fighter/Mage/Thief?

Does anybody have any experience to share about playing solo?
you do not need to be a mage to use:
wand of monster summoning
wand of fear
wand of paralyzation

providing enough intelligence, anyone can use a wand.

I recommand a berserker starts, dual to mage
or shapshifter dual to fighter (this one is the coolest, but it takes a bit long to reach lvl 13, greater werewolf)

Old 03-20-2001, 05:36 PM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Anyone can use wand? Didn't know this. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:40 PM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by el_kalkylus:
Anyone can use wand? Didn't know this. Thanks.

I know some non-mage classes can. but i doubt dwarf can use wand, nor halfling or half-orc. though i never really tested them
Old 03-20-2001, 05:54 PM   #10
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ok, I was thinking of starting a solo game with a monk. This would make the game a whole lot easier.