Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-15-2002, 08:34 AM   #1
Whalken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Come on. Share your likes and dislikes here.
I absolutely LOVED the game, the best I've ever played.

-Whalken
Old 01-15-2002, 08:49 AM   #2
Erydian
Manshoon

Excellent game overall, though I'm of the opinion that Planescape: Torment was slightly better.

I'm a stickler for storyline, and BG2 had plenty of it. Plus, I'm an old PNP player, so this was/is really an ideal game for me. For the most part, the game was an accurate translation, rule-wise (with a few discrepencies). The characters were visualized well, and I really enjoyed the character interaction that was so vivid in BG2.

If I had a complaint - it would have to be the romances. I don't mind the fact that there were romances (in fact, I liked the idea), but as a female player, I was extremely disappointed in my lack of choices.

EDIT: I would have also liked to see more options in the way of alignment, as well as choices/events that could change your alignment (rather than just your reputation). I find that alignment should be treated as an ongoing choice, that should be subject to a character's choices/actions, and reflect a character's scruples. Yes, there were a couple instances in BG2 where something you did permanently affected your alignment - but not nearly enough in my opinion.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-15-2002, 08:53 AM   #3
Zornelis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I really like the game!!

The only thing that is a bit frustrating is that when your main character dies you have to start again from your last save. A bit strange that everyone else is allowed to die all the time (well, all the time isn't to good, but you know what I mean) and your main character isn't....
Zornelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 08:56 AM   #4
eb
Manshoon

The best RPG game i played. Nothing who can compare.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:04 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Overall an excellent game. I much preferred SOA to TOB even though TOB did provide closure to the Bhaalspawn thread.

Likes: Dungeon Artwork was excellent and character art was a VAST improvement over BG1. Loved the kits as well (especially the swashbuckler, paladin kits and the specialty priests) and the new classes (especially the Monk). I thought the magic items were extremely well designed and well distributed over most of the classes, although it took the expansion to rectify some of the item inbalances.
I particularly liked some of the TOB items like the ammo belts!

Dislikes: I thought game balance was spotty. Some of the special abilities were too powerful, and not all of the Bhallspawn were well matched or potent enough. I also disliked the range of NPC choices - thought that most of the really good NPCS had evil alignments. I also would have preferred to see FEWER magic items in the game. There were encounters in the game where magic items were being dropped in such large numbers that it was ridiculous.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:49 AM   #6
Jan

Great game.

Dislikes: Stealing is too easy. A good guy like Keldorn should really dislike such actions. Some items are too powerful. Irenicus should have been harder. I think he is too easy. Firekraag was a harder fight.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:18 AM   #7
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

great overall atmosphere, although the power inflation somewhat hurts it

one thing that really really REALLY put me off: bad ai.
i know this isn´t supposed to be ´commandos´ in a fantasy setting, but combat could be sooo much better.

if they had made the game difficult by making the npcs smarter (enemies concentrating on party members with already low hit points or spellcasters, enemies getting out of conintuous area effects, changing targets or mode of attack if what they´re doing is ineffectual for more than 2 or 3 rounds etc) instead of just giving them bigger and nastier spells and attacks, the battles would be more satisfying.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:23 AM   #8
eb
Manshoon

Firkraag is hard with some char, easy with others. The same with Irenicus.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:26 AM   #9
Whalken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, I agree that Irenicus should be a bit tougher. And Firkragg maybe a bit easier.
But I am sure, if you sit down and think, I dont think you would come up with alot of bad things with the game. It is really a game in its own level.

-Whalken
Old 01-15-2002, 03:59 PM   #10
DreamU
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I enjoy this game even more than Baldur's Gate and much more than Planescape. Just starting out in a city setting makes the game more interesting as in Baldur's Gate you had to wait a few chapters. The sub-plots are more detailed and interesting. You get higher levels right off the bat (remember how long it took to get to level 5 in Baldur's Gate?). I find the characters more engaging and it feels like more variety. And how can you not like kamikaze goblins!?!

My only peeve would be still too much hack and slash, for example, the ruins in Windspear Hills. Give a few less characters who are more ingenuous opponents - I'd get more satisfaction from taking out some uber-vampire than a bunch of guber-vampires.
DreamU is offline   Reply With Quote