Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2002, 01:36 AM   #1
Draven Drakehorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello, im a TSR Fanatic, and pretty much I love everything they have ever made which includes DnD and all of these games we play like IWD and IWD2 and bg and so on, anyways to my point, se I dont like storylines all that much some can be good but others just bore me like in bg2 i did almost every sub quest I didnt care about Irenicus, so back to my point, if you've played DnD or whatever then you pretty much could be like yeah i want to go to this little store and buy some bottles some cloth and some lamp oil and i want to make some Molitov Cocktails, well in DnD you can... see I want to convince black isle to consider to make a DnD computer game where if you want to go into the mountains to kill a dragon you can but if you want to stay in town and sell off crops that youve grown then you can, if you want to climb a tree and wait for that wolf to come back so you can jump on its back and kill it you can if you make the roll, see when I play DnD like in the last campaign i played in that me and my friends are still working our ways through im currently making my way through faerun trying to find an old abandoned barn then im gonna fix it up and start farming, then that will be my cover as i try to convert the towns people to the favor of Talona... but anyways see like in DnD my friend Toby built his cottage with the aid of some farmers in the local area, in baldurs gate or icewind dale can you build your house, no you have to save the city or kill saeravok, I just want to chill out in a town or join the guard duty, become an apprentice for some wizard that I meet! do you guys understand what im saying sorta? would'nt that just be somthing really great, like you start up the game and you pick single player then a menu comes up and you pick a rules edition you want to use, ill pick 3rd, then I make my character and pick the town I want to be born in sorta then instead of you being some little kid your a young adult by your race standards like if your dwarf your in some dwarven city in the mountains or whatever and you can pick a god, cause not only clerics and paladins and the like get to worship a god a farmer can worship Lavender or Thor, like if they could get the AI of NPC's then you could make a profit in a bar or as a wizard identifying things and selling scrolls you make, being a dwarf make some armor and sell it and make some gold in the game, then maybe sell your shop you build or was left to you cause your master passed on, and become an adventurer travel to distant citys just to learn about the man that inspired you to become a monk, like maybe even have different realms pick the rules you want then pick the realm you want to start in dragonlance then go for it id prefer to stay in Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft but whatever floats your boat, amybe if you kill abunch of innocents then you might just get sent to Ravenloft for being all naughty and junk im just throwing out my best ideas for a game me and all my friends would love to do untill then we are stuck with pen and paper and our imagination

Thank you,
Draven Drakehorn
*ps, can you create a golem in NWN or any of the other games?*
Old 12-26-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I don't know if you quite understand the amount of programming and development that goes along with such a game. The timeframe is also quite constraining. They barely got to finish the Baldurs Gate story before the engine was outdated and the series was scrapped! The closest game I can remember to what you're talking about was Daggerfall. If you want a game with the kind of freedom you're talking about try that one. You do sacrifice an intricate plot for freedom though. The game really was a neat concept though and fun too, if lacking a bit in the engine.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:54 AM   #3
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Kenyth pretty much covered it. One thing to realize, even if a gaming company wanted to do that, there has to be a market for it. Most gamers don't have the predisposition to play a game like that.

To illustrate, Ultima Online (which, btw, allows you to do the kind of things you're interested in, except it doesn't use T$R rules) has a subscriber base of 240,000 - that's huge for _any_ game, but what really makes it lucrative is the constant stream of ten-dollar bills coming in every month. Most computer games sell less than 100,000. When you figure that a game company might get $30 per copy sold, it isn't hard to figure out that spending more than a million or so on a game is suicide.

(The above is one reason why so many companies want online games, they're lucrative)

EDIT> Almost forgot! If you are interested in coding something yourself, you might want to look at Exult, if you remember Ultima VII, exult is an opensource implementation of Ultima VII that allows you to use the data files in a store-bought copy of U7BG/U72SI to play on a "modern" os (eg, winblows, linux). It also has a studio tool to design your own adventures/maps.

[ 12-26-2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 12-26-2002, 10:58 AM   #4
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Play Dungeon Siege, beat the boss at the end... and then you can keep playing for ever and ever... can't actually farm though...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 12-26-2002, 04:56 PM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Being young, you probably have plenty of time to devote to stuff like this. Us old timers have demanding jobs, training, certifications, relationships/marriages, kids, households, bills, budgets, etc. We simply don't have endless hours to spend on gaming. I get to game these days in one or two hour chunks a couple times weekly. When a game begins to bore me, I stop playing it because I don't want to waste time playing something I don't enjoy. I also don't have time to farm imaginary land in an RPG. I can find plenty of productive tedium on my own well enough , thank you! In my spare time, I WANT ACTION, EXCITEMENT AND HUMOR! Don't worry, you'll have a life soon enough. You might even long for the days when the most responsibility you had was making your bed and getting to school!
Old 12-26-2002, 05:56 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Draven:

First of all, welcome to a fellow Kentuckian (I was born there and lived there through college)
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
BTW, PM me if you like saying where you are, which hobby store you're in, etc, as I visit my family regularly.

Second, I think the other post astutely answered your querry.

Third, your post was exceedingly hard to read. Please, break it up a bit. Punctuation is your friend. You had good things to say, but I had to squint and get up close to the screen. In the end, you'll be glad that people are actually willing to take the time to read your posts.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:00 PM   #7
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Quite simply play Morrowind.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:15 AM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
Quite simply play Morrowind.
Surely, the problem does not warrent so drastic a solution?
Old 12-30-2002, 11:01 AM   #9
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It sounds like your vision of the ultimate RPG is more or less the same as mine. To me, it just doesn't make sense that a thief can pick a thousand pockets, locks and whatnot but he/she doesn't get any better at the tricks of the trade until he goes out and kills a dozen ogres. Daggerfall came close to achieving this kind of gaming style (close and yet oh so far) but that's about it. I cannot comment on Morrowind as i haven't actually played it yet.

What i want is a game where stat/attribute values are raised by practicing skills and levels/experience raised by performing tasks for your guilds.

It would be different to other RPGs in that experience would count towards rank in your guild and would not be an indication of when you get to improve your stats. Guilds would award xp for completing tasks by using the skills associated with that class. That is if you want to be in a guild. If not, you do things the way you want too and only raise your stats.

I want a game that lets any character use any item so long as they have the minimum stats.

I want a game where a Fighter doesn't ever have to pick a lock.

Hell, i want a game where a thief can complete the entire game without ever killing anything.

I think it's a long way off though
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 12-30-2002, 11:07 AM   #10
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I recomend everyone starts playing PSO because that way I'll own every single one of you MUWAHAHAHAHHA!!!

seriously though, it's a great game that's REAL addictive and time consuming!