Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2003, 12:05 PM   #11
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
I would love to get into fencing [img]smile.gif[/img]
Most colleges have some sort of Fencing program (atleast here in the US). Even many junior colleges (2 year schools) have them. Also you could check the phonebook for local fencing clubs. It's a lot of fun [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 01:19 PM   #12
jabidas
Silver Dragon

We have swords in Ninjutsu but its not a martial art that relys on swords by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:15 AM   #13
Azimaith
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Originally posted by Azimaith:
Uh oh, now you've done it, you put fencing and swordsmanship in the same place!

Controversy always makes for a good thread [img]smile.gif[/img]

Fencing is a sport, swordsmanship's a martial art hehe. They're very very different. As for the SCA, well they use less than accurate methods of swordfighting aka boffing. They're mostly people who enjoy hitting people with pipes covered in isulation foam for padding. If you live near Houston you should check out the ARMA, which is on the link of my sig, they give lessons in historical fencing. Well other than that I don't think there are any other swordsmen here for European styles I think.
Yeah I know the SCA guys use basicly padded sticks. BUt I had read they try and get the wieghts and balances as close to accurate as possible. Besides whats wrong in enjoying hitting other consenting adults with large padded pipes?

My understanding of the sport of Fencing is that it was derived from Renaissance sword fighting techniques. Foil was used as the introduction weapon and the epee was derived from the more advanced rapier fighting.
[/QUOTE]Nothing wrong with enjoying whacking one another with sticks as for the rapier.

Unlike the fencing foil which is a pointless flexible metal rod, The rapier was an edgeless fairly stiff sharply pointed sword which weighed more than what you see in fencing today. It was derived from renaissance techniques like the automobile was derived from the horse carriage, maybe some elements are there like wheels but its so different it wouldn't be the same. For one the backward leaning stance is a big no-no in swordfighting, that leg isn't a shield, its a deadly wound waiting to happen. Foils were never used as a combat weapon really, they had no offensive potential. Basically this is the idea about martial arts. When you learn a way of figting that ain't practical then you've learned a sport, not a martial art. Fencings is not a practical fighting style for real world situations.

PS about the SCA, even though they may try to get correct weights its not the same. I've seen basket hilted swords all over because of faulty parrying, with a round pipe youve got no edge or flat, how can you expect to parry correctly if you don't have a shaped edge? Often times theres no counter-weigted pommel, and their grand melee battles sadly incorporate highly innapropriate techniques such as figthing with swords like indian club fighting (short swings around the head) and they end up basically in a match of 10 people on their knees slinging their pipes around their heads beating on one another. Thats not swordfigting. Naturally not all SCA members are like this and of course I'm sure many are VERY interested in historical accuracy but many just don't care or are ignorant of their own misconeptions.

[ 07-11-2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Azimaith ]
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>