Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-28-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I've started a website for both new and old pictures of my high school's Class of 1984, and I'd like for you guys to be my copy checkers if you don't mind. Look it over and tell me where it is screwed up and especially where I've buggered the spelling, OK?

Now, I'm a complete newbie to web pages, so I can't change anything layout wise yet (it is a template thing), but if you see anything that makes me look stupid, other than my old photos, please let me know.

I know you don't know the people, so this won't become your favorite site, but any help will be appreciated because there is nothing worse than a nice website with gross spelling or grammar errors.

I'd hate to look like a big boob... unless of course I was round..firm, yet supple... and made of soft silky skin.

I've received a pretty good response from friends, especially from my old band mates (this one time, at band camp, so I've created a second site exclusively for the marching band. Actually this site will eventually encompass all the years of the band and not just my graduation year, since I marched with people who graduated from 1982 to 1987, and some of those people graduated with school mates who graduated from 1980 to 1990, and so on and so forth....

Keep in mind the band site is still under construction...

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Looks good to me, Bmann! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I didn't notice any spelling or grammar errors on the Homepage or the "When We Were Young" page (cool title, BTW). I also LOVED the glasses from the "Leak Street" photo. I had a pair just like them back around the same time.

How big was Richmond High? If you graduated in 1984, that was during the hey-day for my high school team - the Murphy Bulldogs. We had our one and only future NFL player (Carl Pickens)and the team was an absolute juggernaut from 1984-1986 in the 1A division. I'm guessing Richmond was bigger than that, so I doubt you ever faced the Bulldogs, but I thought I would ask anyway.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The Richmond Raiders are a 4A team, and they are one of the best in the state. The frequently receive a national HS football ranking. They won 3 state championships in the 90's, 2 in the 80's, and their first in the late 70's. The school was established in '72 and graduated it's first class in the summer of '73.

They've made it to the semi-finals each of the last two years. We've had about 15 guys go to the NFL in the past 20 years, but none made really huge names for themselves.

The early 80's saw the football team make the play-off every year, but not much more. The band on the other hand was kicking butt and taking names during that period...lol.

[ 09-28-2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-28-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

LOL, Ronn, that's an awesome page you've set up there. I love the inadvertent old-school Buddy Holly re-enactment - you were the coolest kid. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I can't see any problems with the layout or any spelling mistakes - which is a rare thing for my grammarian self. Kudos. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I thought I had heard of the Richmond Raiders before.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Yes, I was a sexy beast in the 70's wasn't I? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I went ahead and upgraded the site a few minutes ago in order to gain access to some tools, increase the size, up the bandwith, and most importantly to get rid of those sassa frassin' pop up ads.

Did you guys check the second site, too. It is much smaller, but has the exact same layout, for now.

Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

It's pretty good. I suggest trying to get a CJB.NET adress for it so it's easier to remember [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

There were some shorter endings to chose from like mysight.td4.com , but I was familiar with the freeservers deal, so I stuck with it. If all works well, I hope to get my own first tier name. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Looks nice... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

The only thing I'd suggest to you is to cut down the size of the pictures so you don't have to scroll to the right. I had to do that for all the picture pages, and I'm at 1024x768. Imagine the fun at 800x600, which I consider to be the base standard.

You can do that by...

*goes to look for HTML book*

*looks in the other HTML book*

Hmmm... you can do it by adding WIDTH=x HEIGHT=y in the IMG tag, but this book suggests that you don't do that to make the image smaller. It will increase your page load time. Instead, resize the images in another tool. I use PhotoSuite ('cause when I'm patient, I get upgrades for free), and it lets me do that easily. I'm sure there are other tools that do it as well.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I've hated scrolling left to right all along, but I finally figured out how to fix it with my software, so that is my next objective.

For the second site I bought the first tier domain for a year. Instead of the looong freeserver address, it is now just www.theprideofrichmondcounty.com .

I'm going to get a first tier name for my main site, too, but I haven't settled on one yet because I want to take forums out of the current title since it doesn't make sense.