Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-14-2000, 07:19 AM   #1
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I am new to this game and have come to chapter 3. My main problem is fighting mages or certain monsters that always cast fear, confusion, charm and dominate and it seems impossible to resist. All of my characters, except Korgan, wander around and getting themself killed. I have found some items that can resist charm and dominate spells, but that's it. Resist fear spell is good, but of no use since the one who is able to cast it is "in fear" himself.

I am thinking of starting all over. Any suggestions on what characters I shall choose on my way if I want to resist these dreadful spells?

In my party I have Korgan, Minsc, Jaheira, the thief/mage girl, Anomen and myself (a mage/cleric).

(Everyone say that Anomen is a bad character, but he has the great spell "blade-something" that kills everything in his path, so I can't replace him, besides he is a cleric which is good whilst fighting undead and heling your party members.)
Old 12-14-2000, 07:26 AM   #2
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... when those pesky mages started casting fear on my group... i got a little pissed off so i just fought back using the same stategies on them... belive me that casting fear on your enemies can give you an easier time against them when they are just moving around looking like idiots... i had my cleric equip herself with a helm that gives immunity to fear... so when the others are feared i can use my cleric to unfear (if there is a word like that) them =) works for me ... GL
Old 12-14-2000, 07:40 AM   #3
Armisael

Chaotic commands, a level five priest spell, makes a character immune to all mind attacks. You've got a couple of choices; you can cast it on your fighters and let them do all the work, or cast it on your cleric before a battle - if a character gets charmed or dominated, simply use the same sort of spell on said character, and if someone has fear or confusion used against them, respond with dispel magic.
Either way, starting again won't help anything. There's always a way around this stuff.
Blade-something? No idea what you're talking about. Blade barrier? You can replace him with Viconia, she's a far better cleric.

Old 12-14-2000, 07:50 AM   #4
Hauver

As the game progresses there will be items that can confer immmunity to hold, charm, fear, confusion etc. Some of the earlier items are for example Lilicor and ring of free action. Also the clerical spells can prove very useful. Free action vs hold, resist fear cast before battle immunize against fear. Then chaotic commands actually immunises characters against all forms of mind manipulation spells. Dispel magic cast at your own spell-smitten characters can have a chance of dispelling them.

Another thing, such monsters cast these spells only if they're not heavily engaged in melee(of course the same goes for struck mages) so maybe you can try invisiblity/invisibility 10' radius and approach them at close range.

if you would like to restart, how's about->
1)yourself(paladin undead hunter)->many undead in game
2)Minsc
3)Jaheira
4)Aerie
5)Nalia
6)Yoshimo
then you'll have 2 mages and 2 clerics, and yes Anomen is lousy as cleric cos of his wisdom and therefore the computer never gives him the spiffier spells.
best wishes

Old 12-14-2000, 09:30 AM   #5
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks.