Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 12-02-2001, 07:18 AM   #1
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

What do I do with the statue I found at the ancient house?
Old 12-02-2001, 07:23 AM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Where did you find this statue exactly, Byronas? In which area?
Old 12-02-2001, 07:36 AM   #3
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

In the area you find Brage there are some archeologists and if you help them there's a statue under the earth. I hope this will help you.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:18 AM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

Gosh, I'm sorry, I've never heard of this idol or these archeologists
Old 12-02-2001, 10:48 AM   #5
Midget Gems

As I understand it there are a couple of things you can do with the Idol that is found at the Archeological Dig. Since it has little value you could just leave it there. Alternatively if you have a strong party you can take it outside the tomb, where you will have to fight the Doomgaurd, which gives good XP. Finally I did read somewhere that if you keep it and take it to Ulcaster (or was it Firewine Dungeon) then something unusual happens but unfortunately I've forgotten what it is. Anyone remember this? I seem to have read some advice for beating the Doomgaurd on this site so check it out.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:00 AM   #6
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

You have two options:

First, leave the idol. No penalty

OR, take the idol and face an extremely pissed off doomguard outside. I had a pretty strong hack 'n' slash party (I thought [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and after three times of this guard thoroughly tromping my party into the dust, I left the idol in the tomb [img]smile.gif[/img] . I tried using all kinds of potions to build my guys even further, but to no avail.

Altho, I must say, Septfox managed to beat him. Have no idea how--I think it's a matter of simply keeping your guy alive long enough for the NPCs to win. Decent xp, if I recall.
Old 12-02-2001, 01:00 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The Doomsayer IS a tough fight--missile weapons don't seem to affect him, melee weapons seem to inflict a maximum of 1 damage, and lightning actually heals him. He doesn't have many hitpoints, but with his armor class, who needs hitpoints? The only thing that I found would hurt him every time is Magic Missile (and perhaps the Ring of Energy), so you should probably wait until you've got a Mage on at least Level 5. He only attacks you if you try to keep the Idol. The Doomsayer's 4000 Exp, and the Idol is 50gp, or you can use it to get a sword which is arguably the most *powerful* in the game. Keep the 50gp instead.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:51 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

One tactic that worked really well for me against the doomguard:

Have your druids/clerics memorise as many entangles as possible (I had a cleric PC and Jaheira, it's best to have two people casting the spell than one).

As soon as the Doomguard spawns, hit pause and cast Entangle on him (preferable by multiple casters at the same time). If he saves vs. spells, try again before he reaches you. He'll fail his saving throw sooner or later, and when he does, you can cast Magic Missile on him as many times as possible, using memorisation and wands. If it takes you a long time to kill him, cast another Entangle so he can't reach you after the first one wears off. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2001, 03:17 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

I casted dispel magic on him, and that removed his blur and flame sword. Then magic missled him and killed him with weapons. Really good tactic.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:08 PM   #10
KoeleKanth
Welcomed New User

Spoiler
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Use Algernon's Cloak to charm Brage, before you take the idol out of the chest. Keep your party, except the thief, in the excavations. Go outside with the thief, carrying the idol, and meet up with Brage again (he can't follow you into the crypt). Hide the thief, and that Doom guard will go after Brage, and Brage will just go off on him. I don't think Brage was hit once. I was actually trying to get Brage killed off, and I was quite surprised with the outcome. Still don't know what to do with Brage, though.