Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-10-2002, 11:35 AM   #11
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey! My mum's really into our family tree... she's got it in several lines back to the 1700s and it's possible that it's back to 1612, only there's one link that needs confirming.
Donut... you may not have as much French blood as you think...
I'm really interested in history, as well as the history of language (don't ask me something about what I know... you won't be able to shut me up!! )
Old 05-10-2002, 02:20 PM   #12
Moiraine
Anubis

Well, here in France, unless one has noble ancestors, the archives allows only to go back to around 1600. So far, I have one noble branch, and that one I date back to around 1100 ... and my Scottish ancestor (seems he fled Scotland because of British persecution, and he went to southern France, probably the housing was cheaper even back then.

Otherwise, I'm almost entirely franco-french with maybe a bit of Belgium blood, and a tad of German and/or Swiss blood as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And, as a true Frenchie, I have many many many winemakers ancestors ...
Old 05-10-2002, 02:47 PM   #13
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Well, here in France, unless one has noble ancestors, the archives allows only to go back to around 1600. So far, I have one noble branch, and that one I date back to around 1100 ... and my Scottish ancestor (seems he fled Scotland because of British persecution, and he went to southern France, probably the housing was cheaper even back then.

Otherwise, I'm almost entirely franco-french with maybe a bit of Belgium blood, and a tad of German and/or Swiss blood as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And, as a true Frenchie, I have many many many winemakers ancestors ...
Wow, your archives go back to 1600? That's impressive! Ours only go back to around 1850. My bro spent a lot of time visiting cemetaries in various parts of the country and looking at church burial records to find a lot of the information because older records aren't held centrally.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:24 PM   #14
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Lanesra is always threatening to do our family tree - but he hasn't got round to it yet!

Nice to see you here Moiraine. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Maybe he should give you the programme so you can load it on your pc,whats that you say ,he did ,2 months ago must be a large programme. :
Old 05-11-2002, 04:41 AM   #15
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Lanesra is always threatening to do our family tree - but he hasn't got round to it yet!

Nice to see you here Moiraine. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Maybe he should give you the programme so you can load it on your pc,whats that you say ,he did ,2 months ago must be a large programme. :[/QUOTE]AAARRRGGGHHH ! Two Donuts in here !!! [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img]

Well, Donuts, if you have found your French ancestors, maybe I can find more about them ? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Epona, if we have archives that far back, it's because the French king issued a law around 1600, compelling the priests to make records of births, weddings and burials. So there are two copies of these, one in the town halls, and one in the departemental archives halls. Thst is, if they survived - mostly, at least one copy did, but for some locations, unfortunately, the archives were destroyed through time. Sometimes also, it's very hard to read the old papers - especially in Alsace, for example, where the acts were written either in Latin, in old gothic German and in archaic French ...
Old 05-11-2002, 02:03 PM   #16
Alexander
Drow Warrior

My parents and everyone before them are all Germans. I am a direct descendant of some odd fellow from the 16th century called "Engel von Ufer". I have no idea if he was important or not.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:10 PM   #17
Charean
Hathor

Good to see you Moiraine!! Missed you!!

Glad you are having a good time with your research. As you may have found out, there are always surprises when you get into a family tree. I have a couple that I am amazed I am related to (no one important, just... er.... scandalous!)

I have some French blood in me, but I would have to ask my uncle who... he did our tree (on me mum's side) and he found out more than I wanted to know!

Since you have lots of wine makers in your family, do you do any yourself?