Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #21
Thoran
Galvatron

Reversal is possible but expensive and not guaranteed.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #22
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
Reversal is possible but expensive and not guaranteed.
And while many insurance companies will cover a vasectomy, most won't cover undoing it.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #23
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
The man is not the victim, in my opinion it is the child. I don't think women are right in forcing a child on a man i'm saying a man is wrong for not taking responsibility for performing an act that can bring forth a child. And I don't think men and women can not have sex just because they don't want a baby that is unrealistic, but they should be ready to deal with the responsibilities that come with that action.
My brother was dating a girl who would poke holes in his condoms because she didn't want him to dump her and wanted to trap him into a long-term relationship with a child, if she had succeeded (which she did not) there's no doubt in my mind that there would have been 2 victims, my brother, and his child, neither have any legal recourse in the matter, as they've been saying, all the power is in the womans hands in such a case.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #24
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

The law is supposed to protect the child.

It doesn't, because the law assumes the mother knows whats best.

What if the father is in a better position to care for the child? It's not even taken into consideration.

Laws with no flex, give or bend are less than useless, if you kill someone in self defence it's not as bad as if you go and hunt them down in cold blood.

But if you do everything possible to prevent a child from coming into the world, other than abstinence, it's treated exactly the same way as if you go and and deliberatly go out and knock a girl up.

Nothing is perfect, but at the moment the laws surounding this issue could do with some solid revision.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #25
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Responding to the comment that fathers can't even be involved in an adoption decision; I don't think that it's true. At least in some states, I believe that both parents have to sign away their rights in order for an adoption to be official. So in a case where the mother gives up her child, the father can opt to take custody rather than allow an adoption to go through.

In this case, I do agree that the man was the victim of fraud and manipulation. On the other hand, the child was not the one who perpetrated it. I can understand the stance of the courts that the child should not lose out on the support of the father (as there is no one else to take over the responsibility). The problem is that the mother is also going to benefit from the child support. In some cases, you wish that the money from the child support could go into a trust fund rather than to the mother, and some neutral party be responsible for deciding what expenses should be paid for.

In some cases, like the one Thoran described, where a pregnancy is the result of the woman abusing the male, the courts should take the child away from the woman and put it up for adoption (after all, the woman is a known child abuser! How could leaving a child in that situation ever be in the best interest?)

As the husband to a woman who actually has a medical condition that leaves her barren, it really gets to me when I hear these kinds of stories. We have to rely on adoption if we are ever going to have kids. Knowing that children are being concieved where they're not wanted, or as ploys to manipulate someone into a relationship is heartbreaking. I really wish that as a society, we would show more support and respect for parents who choose to give their children up for adoption.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #26
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
Responding to the comment that fathers can't even be involved in an adoption decision; I don't think that it's true. At least in some states, I believe that both parents have to sign away their rights in order for an adoption to be official. So in a case where the mother gives up her child, the father can opt to take custody rather than allow an adoption to go through.
Sort of, it's a position I and a friend of mine are both in, In my case I can't adopt my wife's first daughter unless her parents (who share custody) sign over their custody (not likely to ever happen), in the case of my friend, the father of his daughter denies that she's his, and his wife refuses to go through with the legal work to get paternity test, without that he can't sign over his rights allowing my friend to adopt. Like you said, I believe alot of it depends on the state your in and what provisions exist in the local laws.