Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default Return of ST

Technically, I haven't been gone from the forums,
but I haven't been here with a computer doing anything DC related (other than a rant or two)...

This has changed. I now have a computer. I will be doing DC stuff as soon as I get fully set up with it. Fully set up with it meaning, gotta format HD, get restores made, anit-virus, ect, ect, ect...

You've been warned
ST
Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: Return of ST

Welcome back to being a full citizen of DCdom.

You know, I should probably install an anti-virus program on this thing I'm using...and I should back it up as well...but I'm probably not going to (other than back up DC stuff).
Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

My return has been greatly exaggerated. I bought a used computer and it is resisting all attempts at getting to work the way I want. It was a computer that some lady had that she said some friend worked on (after she got it out of storage...) but she was selling it as it was asking for a windows serial key.

Well, I was going to linux it and forget about it until I could afford to buy XP system disk on ebay or put win7 on it.

-BUT-
I suspect that it has power supply problem in that it reboots/restarts at random times, but too frequently to put new OS on it. So, I got a computer for $20 that I thought was a good deal, and got what I paid for. Still, I think I can come up with $ for a power supply in the near future (like within a week).

Anyhow, I guess I have to wait. THAT is the hardest part!

ST
Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Shadow Stranger

You can get freeware antivirus programs like Avast! It is well worth doing with all the nastiness floating around the web.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

Your problem, ST, does not sound like a power supply to me. I know a bit about this, having had to replace one on my server box. It sounds like you are having driver conflicts - start looking at sound drivers first.

Also, as for your OS - MS offers "trial" versions of it's OS's that are not restricted in any way, and are usable for 180 days. I know more than one person who only use these, save their data (or store it on an external drive and then every six months re-install their operating system.
Also, I hate to tell you, but if you picked this up for $20 and it had been in storage, it's likely not capable of running Windows 7. Good luck on getting a legal version of XP these days - I did see one for sale about a month ago, and it was more expensive than 7...even though, or maybe because MS no longer sells or supports it (well there are still some occasional updates...)
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
nologgie
Dungeon Master

They made legal versions of XP?
Pshaw!
Next you'll tell me they made legal versions of W98.

If the trial versions last 180 days, that's not bad. I like to format and reload about once a year anyway.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

180 days is a great length of time when you're a student and you have to re-install for the start of each new term. And now that I'm no longer a student, well 180 is still longer than I've gone without re-installing...
Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

perhaps I should have named this post "the long drawn out inching forward ever so slightly return of ST".

So now I got a computer that works, and since it does not have a wireless card/ usb adaptor; now I'm searching for a usb cable that is here somewhere and when I get that and attach it from my computer to the modem, THEN I'll be back.

ST
ps, the things I have to go through just to get online...
Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThief View Post
ST
ps, the things I have to go through just to get online...
You mean like lugging your laptop to the library everyday? And you don't own a car or a bicycle?

I can't decide if the internet is a wonderful freedom that provides a window to a world greater than my own, or if it's the most addictive drug that I've tried and it just makes me delusional to think the first option.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

I think it was Paracelsus who said something like: "Die Dosis macht das Gift." At least, the internet is not physically addictive. Not yet...

Last edited by Dinonykos; 09-01-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Dinonykos is offline   Reply With Quote