Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default just got nwn2, now what a good class to start

i'm old school, i like d&d 2.0 rules,, new to 3.5

i'm use to keeping a class , say a fighter,, for 20 lvls

now i've learned from reading, its best to have 3 or 4 classes till 20

so i have a few questions about a class

i'd like to end up with a rogue fighter type, but that would very easily change

maybe end up being an assassin, or a weapon master

so how should i go about being that?

be a fighter for so many lvls? then a rogue?

and how many lvls?

any help would be lovely
darnapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Default Re: just got nwn2, now what a good class to start

This is a difficult question because there are so many choices. It very much depends what you want to do with the game.

If you intend to get Mask of the Betrayer as well there are even more options and an added crafting system.

If you want MOTB then I would suggest a character that can handle wizard and/or cleric spells and scrolls as well as fight. I'm trying MOTB's Sacred Fist option with a cleric who can use acid spells and it seems to be working. (Yes, I did say I would not get MOTB but I cracked in the end).

For the main game I found fighters or Dex-based monks worked well. A dash of rogue helps too as much of the action involves working with henchman and you will get sneak attacks.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Havock
Dungeon Master

I am currently playing a Bard/red dragon diciple/barbarian. I focused on combat feats because the bonuses you get as a red dragon diciple are all more usefull to a fighter class than any other. My character has a 27 strength without any magic items and is an absolute beast in combat.

http://www.myspace.com/measuredingrey
Havock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnapkin View Post
i'd like to end up with a rogue fighter type, but that would very easily change

maybe end up being an assassin, or a weapon master

so how should i go about being that?

be a fighter for so many lvls? then a rogue?

and how many lvls?

any help would be lovely
Think of what kind of fighter/rogue you want to take. Strength based with shield? Go for less rogue than fighter levels. Strength based with two-hander? Might think about going full rogue and taking feats for frenzied berserker. Dex based, dual-wielding*? Take mostly rogue levels, invest in dex, take two-weapon fighting feats. Dex-based, parry/rapier? Take some duelist levels. You might decide to throw some assassin in any of these, but remember, if you want to multiclass, it might be wise to invest in the feat that lets you put only one point in the cross-class skills (swift learner?).

*I had one of these and you can beautifully mix this with the five levels of invisible blade, if you start taking invisible blade levels every uneven level from 10, and rogue on even levels from 10. (prepare to sacrify rogue only feats (of which actually only crippling strike and improved evasion are useful anyway) for invis blade required feats like feint and weapon focus (dagger). The feint feit on this class coupled with the bluff bonus from invis blade makes sure you're doing sneak attacks every round. If you've done it right, you can take epic precision AND perfect two-weapon fighting at lvl 21.

Last edited by JrKASperov; 01-22-2008 at 04:34 AM.
JrKASperov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

If you want a challenge try Monk/Sorcerer, I tried it and it is great fun but veery hard, you don't get full benefit of either class and have to learn to make them work together... Lets just sayTruestrike is your best friend
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I'm having a blast with my Tiefling rogue 1 ranger18invis blade 5. Last level will be shadow dancer. I know I could get another ab with another ranger level, but I really want a sneaky super dual wielder