Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2003, 06:14 PM   #21
Animal
Gold Dragon

Some interesting and enlightening posts.

Up until this point, I never really understand depression much myself or why people would wish to take their own lives. Thanks to those who shared their experiences and feelings, I can imagine it was probably very difficult.

I always thought as many do, that suicide was a selfish act and couldn't comprehend why anybody would even consider such a course of action, but from what I've read it almost seems like those that do, honestly believe they have no choice, as if they are being controlled by the depression to do it.

If my conclusions are inaccurate, please feel free to correct me.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:17 PM   #22
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Can you explain to me how i'm supposed to help someone, if there are no signs whatsoever that he/she needs it ?
*sighs* I just turned the argument around johnny. Writing off all people who commits suicide as cowards isn't the best thing to do. I don't know what it is like to be depressed, or having nothing to live for (for which I am very grateful). I do believe you feel the same. (At least I don't picture you as depressed ) [img]smile.gif[/img] So why accuse all those less fortunate of being cowards? Because they don't dare to face their life's hardship? What if they don't have a life to live? [/QUOTE]Where in my post did you see me use the word "cowards" ? I never said that they are cowards, i said they are selfish. There's a difference. If you really really really wanna kill yourself, by all means... go right ahead. Just make sure you leave noone behind who actually cares about you. It's not just your own life you end when that's the case.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:56 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Where in my post did you see me use the word "cowards" ? I never said that they are cowards, i said they are selfish. There's a difference. If you really really really wanna kill yourself, by all means... go right ahead. Just make sure you leave noone behind who actually cares about you. It's not just your own life you end when that's the case.
This raises and interesting point as to whom our responsibility lies - to ourselves first and foremost, or to others? If you believe truly with no doubt that your life is not worth living, and that to continue on would be so painful it hurts even to think about it, how much consideration should you, morally give other people? I imagine people who are suicidal do think about their loved ones; it is probably one of the things that holds them back as long as they do, and the thing that stops some people from attempting it in the first place, or attempting it again. I think that is often the mentality behind the suicide note - to try to ease people's pain and guilt that they've left behind. Surely to not do what you think is absolutely the only thing that will end your pain and suffering just for the consideration of others is the ultimate sacrifice - should they have to make that sacrifice?

Another thing I will say is that we don't understand what is going through the minds of people who suicide, so to say that they are 'selfish' and only thinking of themselves along the same lines as someone is selfish because they ate all the cake and didn't leave any for anyone else is a little foolish. I've never been so consumed by despair to even imagine what it must be like. Considering also that a common thought that people who are severely depressed have is that they are worthless and no use to anyone it follows that people probably wouldn't miss them that much anyway, or would be better off without them.

There are also cases where people simply aren't in a sane state of mind. People suffering from schizophrenia or other disorders that involve hallucinations and delusions often are told by the voices that if they don't do something, often self-harm or worse, their loved ones will be harmed or killed.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:58 PM   #24
spydar

when I was in grade 10 one of my older brother's tried to kill himself and I didn't even know he was depressed. one of my friends sorta told me on my way to school the next day. does that make me a horrible sister that I didn't even realize that something was wrong?
a lot of the time a suicide attempt IS the cry for help, maybe the ones who actually went through with it just didn't think anyone had heard them.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:14 AM   #25
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Excellent post, Kaz. You always were so much more eloquant than I [img]smile.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:08 PM   #26
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

My sister suffered from depression. Now I'm worried that it's happening to me. But I never want to commit suicide because of how it'll affect other people.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #27
Lovisa
Manshoon

Lanesra your post made my eyes full of tears, I'm a kinda sensitive person, that must have been awful. I suffer with u...
Old 06-02-2003, 04:18 AM   #28
Jan

Good post Kaz. Covers a lot about the topic.

It is almost too difficult to understand if you haven't been in the situation (a date with the death). Are you a coward because you want to commit suicide? Maybe? Called it what you will but as long as you haven't stand face to face with the death than you don't know what a coward is (in this case). I've tried it more than "the number of fingers on one hand" and can't say it might happen one day.

It is almost impossible to describe how you feel (if you have any feelings/emotions at all) when you get so far out and suicide is (seems) the only solution to the problems. Kaz's post is a good read here but I can add tons to Kaz's post but it isn't necessary. Just don't think it is an easy topic to understand + you can live for years without knowing that a family member, your best mate etc. has a ....ed up life and is about to end it. Usually it is too late when the little bell rings.

Old 06-02-2003, 06:51 AM   #29
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Jan:
Good post Kaz. Covers a lot about the topic.

It is almost too difficult to understand if you haven't been in the situation (a date with the death). Are you a coward because you want to commit suicide? Maybe? Called it what you will but as long as you haven't stand face to face with the death than you don't know what a coward is (in this case). I've tried it more than "the number of fingers on one hand" and can't say it might happen one day.

It is almost impossible to describe how you feel (if you have any feelings/emotions at all) when you get so far out and suicide is (seems) the only solution to the problems. Kaz's post is a good read here but I can add tons to Kaz's post but it isn't necessary. Just don't think it is an easy topic to understand + you can live for years without knowing that a family member, your best mate etc. has a ....ed up life and is about to end it. Usually it is too late when the little bell rings.
You've "tried" to kill yourself more times than there are fingers on your hand, and you still didn't succeed ???

I don't wanna sound rude or anything, but why do you even bother trying ? It's pretty obvious that you DON'T want to die, otherwise you would have succeeded the first time.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:02 AM   #30
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
You've "tried" to kill yourself more times than there are fingers on your hand, and you still didn't succeed ???

I don't wanna sound rude or anything, but why do you even bother trying ? It's pretty obvious that you DON'T want to die, otherwise you would have succeeded the first time.
You keep practising those 'people' skills johnny.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show