Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 AM   #11
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Why are potatos bad? and why aren't they considered part of the veggie family? is it because they grow in the ground? ...carrots grow under the soil as well....enlighten me oh guru's of plantdom [img]smile.gif[/img] What makes a veggie, a fruit and ....well what ever potatos are?
Well potatoes arenīt bad as Mel said. But fried potatoes. And the fat is not the only thing. Recent studies have shown that frying potatoes creates polyacrylamide within the potatoes. Highly toxic and highly cancerous. If you are interested in that process Iīll try and dig up some articles for you and I would be happy to email them to you if you canīt view them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 09:30 AM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Well potatoes arenīt bad as Mel said. But fried potatoes. And the fat is not the only thing. Recent studies have shown that frying potatoes creates polyacrylamide within the potatoes. Highly toxic and highly cancerous. If you are interested in that process Iīll try and dig up some articles for you and I would be happy to email them to you if you canīt view them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Whoa... I read about that a while ago Willow, but didn't know how much of it was true. Is it enough of an amount to make it a concern?
Old 05-01-2003, 10:02 AM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Edit: Bungleau, on the tomato
I believe that botanically speaking it's a fruit - so is a watermelon, green pepper, eggplant, cucumber, and squash. Like I said a fruit is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds. But horticulturally speaking, the tomato belongs to the veggies because it's annual and nonwoody.
Legally speaking, too, tomatoes are vegetables: In 1893, the United States Supreme Court ruled the tomato was a "vegetable" and therefore subject to import taxes. The suit was brought by a consortium of growers who wanted it declared a vegetable to protect U.S. crop development and prices. Fruits, at that time, were not subjected to import taxes and foreign countries could flood the market with lower priced produce.
Wow, I never knew about the legalities of tomatoes. However, scientifically, any hanging ripened ovary is a fruit, so tomatoes are fruits.

Oh, McDead's just came out with 3 new 'premium' salads. One has bacon, the other is caesar (dressing has sardines), and the other has some other meat. It's very difficult for me to eat at McD's. Love their fries, but all I eat with them is usually a fruit&yogurt parfait. I do like them for breakfast sometimes -- mmmmmmmm decadent greasy goodness.

A potato is wonderful health-wise as mentioned. A deep-fried frozen potato has almost no nutritional value, and is just a bunch of carbs wrapped with saturated and transaturated fats.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:04 AM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Seriously McDonalds AND the parents are both at fault. A kid offered an ice cream by his parents every day is not going to say no! It tastes good *I’ve been told*
Careful, Wellard. Partial fault = partial recovery in a lawsuit.

Oh, and when I was a kid, a dinner at McD's - or anywhere out of the house - was a real treat. These parents need to get their lazy asses off the couch and shop and cook, and quit spending their hard-earned welfare checks on 3 squares at McD's everyday.

[ 05-01-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 05-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #15
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

i don;t like veggies. most of them anyhow. like broccoli and cauliflower, and such. but i encourage my children to eat it. i don;t want them to have to live the way id o. whenever i go out i have to ask for them to hold stuff from my meal... like no tomatoes or lettuce on my sandwhiches, etc.

i almost wish i could get a hold of one of these lawyers. when i was working at a wendy's for a year and a half i gained about 25 pounds! but no one forced me to eat their food! no one said "hey to work here you have to love our food so eat it all!!!!" which it's good they didn;t caus elike i said i don;t like broccoli and i'd hate to have a broccoli and cheese potato shoved down my throat! also the fact that the food costs money is a deterrent.

anyway these ppl are nuts. and feeding a burger and fries to a toddler is ok in my book, as long as it isn't more frequent than once a week or so. more than that is too much junk food. even for an adult.

actually a normal child growing on healthy food will turn down lots of sweets. my oldest at about 18-24 months would say no to cookies after 4 of them. since my parents took custody of her, tho, her quality of food has gone down. i said that once a week fast food isn't so bad, but she never got that from me. now she gets it from them. and her eating habits are horrible!!! she's allowed by them to leave the table after taking ona few bites. if she's hungry later they will make something for her! they give her candy and junk all the time. i realize she is skinny and healthy now, but what about when she hits puberty? if these habits continue she will end up like me! when she is here she gets portioned snacks, that are more likely ot be yogurt than a devil dog. she doesn't get everything she wants at the store, and if she wants ice cream she better eat at least half of what i put on her plate. if it's something i know she likes she better eat it all!

[ 05-01-2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: RevRuby ]
Old 05-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #16
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Whoa... I read about that a while ago Willow, but didn't know how much of it was true. Is it enough of an amount to make it a concern?
Well I would like to say no unless you consume a large amount of fried food. The boy in the article should probably be concerned by this but if you only are eating fries once or twice a week this need not concern you. [img]smile.gif[/img] But acrylamide is VERY dangerous. I just read an article about it and apparently 2 portions of fries a week did not increase the chance of cancer. [img]smile.gif[/img] For excessive consumers I would advice caution. But of course excessive consumers of fries probably have other issues to deal with as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What I found interesting about this research is that it got a lot of attention in Europe but none over here. Cultural food differences perhaps? Fried food is a very large industry over here. You are a lot healthier over the sea. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 10:23 AM   #17
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
i don;t like veggies. most of them anyhow. like broccoli and cauliflower, and such. but i encourage my children to eat it. i don;t want them to have to live the way id o. whenever i go out i have to ask for them to hold stuff from my meal... like no tomatoes or lettuce on my sandwhiches, etc.
If you donīt like vegetables then increase your intake of fruit. You can eat as much fruit as you want a day. The recommended intake of fruit per day is very high, I would assume 5-6 per day. When it comes to children fruit is also a great replacement for sweets, especially tropical fruits. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 10:27 AM   #18
Mordenheim
Elminster

I was allowed fast food once a week. Then it was two cheap cheese burger's.

My mother would cook all the time. That is exactly the problem TL. These people are lazy. Much easier to cram fat down the kid's throat then cook something. I mean 400 pounds? that is criminal. Did they not notice when 200 came around? or 300? That child's life has been seriously screwed and obesity is deadly. The parents should have the kid removed. How sad.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #19
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks for the info Willow! Two times a week, guess I'm safe then. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Like most of the people who replied, fried meals were a special treat for me - we cooked a healthy meal every day of the week and maybe once or twice a month got some take away fries (but usually with a home-made salad). The same goes for candy, BTW. Some kids in my class had a big tin full of candy at home from which they took a handful at teatime - that was pretty amazing in my eyes. I even remember my devilishly cunning mother devising a plan to make my sis and me eat healthily: if we promised not to eat any candy in half a year (!!!) we would go to the toy store and each pick out a My Little Pony! Astoundingly, we actually managed this - the only time we ate something sweet was on my sister's birthday. ROTFL! Maybe a little rigourous, but I am glad for it. With what little money we had ourselves, we were free to buy candy, and grandmothers with candy bars weren't thrown out of the house either , but my German grandmother, whose necessary foodgroups are fat, sugar and beer(No??? You don't want a third helping of cheesecake? What about another schnitzel? Strawberries WITHOUT sugar??? Och du lieber Gott!) was thankfully discouraged. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
So I completely agree the parents of this kids should be the ones punished in some way. The poor child could be severely ill in a matter of years, is already suffering from diabetes, will have trouble leading a normal life if he stays this size. Clothes won't fit, furniture will need to be sized up, he might be bullied or ostracised because of his weight...
At 15 he might know better, but at six he definitely didn't - he never knew another way and now the habits are already formed.
Again, I think it's criminal.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:15 PM   #20
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
What I found interesting about this research is that it got a lot of attention in Europe but none over here. Cultural food differences perhaps? Fried food is a very large industry over here. You are a lot healthier over the sea. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well...unfortunately, the UK is picking up more of America's fast food habits. (No offence meant). We are the unhealthiest country in Europe, and it ain't getting any better...*sigh*...

I myself am trying to lose weight...McDonald's was a treat for me too, though. I haven't eaten fast food in ages...which is good. [img]smile.gif[/img]

By the way, Burger King claim their burgers are flame grilled, would this make them any healthier? Because grilling is supposed to reduce fat content of food...