Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-24-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
Zeech
Welcomed New User

Hey all, this has probably been answered a hundred times, but what are the benefits of a 4 character group? Is there more experience?

Also, any suggestions for a 4 character group? Im thinking Bishop, Sam, Lord and Ninja?

Thanks for any responses!
Zeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Mr Creosote
The Magister

I'm not sure there are any huge benefits.

I like 4 man groups as they are more compact and the extra experience points shared does level them up slightly quicker than a 6 man. Its also more of a challenge.

Looks like you have the right sort of party for a 4 char group, a major spellcaster and 3 tanks with some extra spellcasters if you want them.

Ive never found the "perfect" 4 char group, well perfect for me anyway. Closest so far is Mook Fighter, Hobbit Samurai, Fairie Ninja and Elf Bishop but I may try one with the Ninja replaced by a Ranger.
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I did a bunch of Foursomes with Bard (mostly Hobbit), Ranger (also Hobbit, sometimes 1st level as Alchemist), Lord, (Rawulf, start as Rogue), and either Sam, Monk, or Bishop.
I like your lineup, one of mine really similar that i liked had a Rogue where you have a Ninja, but you'll be fine there.
And Welcome A-Board!
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
You do level up faster, and more importantly, your skill points increase faster because you use them more having only four people to kill monsters than 6. I found having a bard extremely useful, especially early on. If you have a spellcaster they are quite weak and useless early, and your fighter types can sometimes get overwhelmed. There are good instruments early that really save you. I also have a gadgeteer, but she's only really become useful for her gadgets lately (NegatAir! Woohoo! ). My group of fighter, bishop, bard and gadgeteer are really spanking now [img]smile.gif[/img] . Good luck!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

I pinched the idea of a Giant Sword Party from someone on the VN Boards. All Mook obviously,
Fighter, Lord, Samurai and Ranger.

You are guaranteed four Giant Swords although you won't get the fourth near the end and the other two only after a very tough fight (trying not to spoil it for those new at Wiz8).

Started the Fighter as a Rogue and the other three had a level of their relevant Magic discipline (ie, Divinity, Wizardry, Alchemy)at level 2.

Only got one GS so far, from that dungeon you know where and gave it to the Fighter. The good thing is that you only have to concentrate on Swords, don't have to bother with Dual Class, a secondary weapon etc so, for example, for the Fighter and Lord you only need to put points in Sword, Close Combat and Bow at first.

The Ranger needs Ranged Combat instead of Close Combat for starters and, of course, the Samurai needs Critical Strike.

Tough at the start and I try to put some points into Shield but only up to 20 or so.

Did think of doing the Stealth training but am too lazy to spend hours doing it.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #6
petertmorgan
Dungeon Master

I like several things about a well-balanced party of four played on expert mode:

1) It's definitely more challenging than 6
2) Spending time specifically for training is not required
3) Your hybrids can really become good at everything (including powercasting spells for samurai, ninja, ranger if you want it)
4) You have enough characters to use a wide range of equipment/items
5) (this last one may just apply to me) - It's easier to focus on developing four characters than six (less to focus on, development is faster too)

Personally, I like to avoid the bishop if I have hybrid spellcasters, because I find that the bishop interferes with the development of the hybrid's magic (as I don't like to spend extra-time training).
petertmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #7
DraconFighter
Dungeon Master

My favorite party of four has been

Lord (first level as Priest)

Bard

Samurai (first level as Mage, but start with a Samurai so you get the swords, and then replace her with a Mage when you hit the beach)

Ranger
Old 02-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #8
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Zeech - Welcome here! Four parties level up noticeably faster. They are also more challenging to your resources and are harder early on. But I didn't have to run away this game (altho' tempted). I prefer 4-parties now, but I still try 6-,and 3-ones. Finished a 2- (bard and bishop) and 1-party (faerie ninja/bishop) once each.

My current party is about lev 21, getting ready to enter Rapax territories (everything else but 2 retros, alliance quest, etc., solved). Who they be:

Felpurr Rogue with Fang and stilleto - Front

Lizardman Samurai with Bloodlust and shield - F

Faerie Mage/Alchemist (lev 19, 2) with SoD- Ctr

Human Priest/Valkerie (8, 13)with Dread Spear - C

An extremely powerful party at this point. The mage picked up healing and stamina when recently became an alch, should have switched her earlier to get a second healer! All my 4-parties have been successful but I design a balance of skills. Yours looks fine. - Zig -
Old 02-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

My best party of 4 was 4 Valkerie. Really work on the polearms and they have good healing spells too. Definatly one of my favs. 4 Lords was even a little better now that I think of it and I never use RPC's.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:41 AM   #10
rbeane1
The Magister

I'm just finishing a party of 4 females. Sam,Monk,
ninja,valk. it is tough a first but I think I will go this way from now on.
rbeane1 is offline   Reply With Quote