Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-21-2001, 04:11 PM   #1
Ziroc

Read this guys...
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?show=163

It says:
---------------------

Ottawa, Ontario July 20. On July 19, Sirtech Canada announced layoffs affecting its Jagged Alliance and Wizardry development teams. Development work on both Jagged Alliance 3 and Wizardry 9 has halted, effective immediately.

Reasons cited for the layoffs included difficulties in obtaining timely funding for Jagged Alliance 3 and Wizardry 9, as well as failure to receive royalties due from the European publishers of Jagged Alliance 2 and Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business.

Sirtech Canada is still seeking funding for Wizardry 9 and Jagged Alliance 3. Obtaining funding within the next four to eight weeks is crucial if work on these projects is to go forward.

Wizardry 8 is complete, and measures are being taken to ensure that it is released to market. It is expected that it will be released by the end of the year and a playable demo will be available before the game hits store shelves. Further announcements will be made with regard to these dates. Wizardry 8 has already undergone an extensive beta-testing process. However, Sirtech Canada has made arrangements with key staff to produce a patch if one proves necessary. Sadly, this may be the last Wizardry to be produced by Sirtech Canada should future funding be unobtainable.

International versions of Wizardry 8 are unaffected by this announcement. Other international versions are being produced, and Sirtech Canada is providing all necessary localization materials to its licensees. Materials are being retained to provide to any new licensees interested in localizing a Sirtech product.

Everyone at Sirtech Canada would like to express our gratitude to all the faithful fans who supported us throughout the years. You have our heartfelt thanks for making Sirtech a legendary name in the gaming industry.

Concerned fans wishing to help out can demonstrate their support by pre-ordering Wizardry 8 at a major retailer such as Electronics Boutique.

-----------------------

I Hope they make it out of the hole, it looks real bad hough

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks
Old 07-21-2001, 05:22 PM   #2
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Ziroc,

Yoikes! This does look really bad. I knew there was something wrong, no company does not update their website for 3 months unless they are in some kind of trouble.

This does shed some light on their cone of silence, and being a long time fan I feel pretty powerless.

Saz, Wyv, Ziroc, et al, is there anything we can do? There has to be! I'm never one to say its over till the fat person sings, but I bet if we put our heads together we might be able to think of something.

Sir Tech better get Wiz 8 out there and FAST, if they make good sales it could pull them out of the rut they are in.

So, I'm assuming they still have no publisher, and I understand their side of things, but if they go out of business, is what they are currently doing really the "right" thing?

Well, I don't know a lot about publishing and releasing video games, so I'm sure there are somethings I'm missing here.

Its a sad day, yes indeed.

Scronan

[This message has been edited by Scronan (edited 07-21-2001).]
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 05:44 PM   #3
Traute
The Magister

What horrible news! And here I am replaying WizGold to get some more parties ready for the release of Wiz 8!!!!
I was afraid the delay was to do with Sirtech running out of funds!

I've already pre-ordered Wiz 8 a few months ago, I'm going to order another copy or two to be given to friends. Wiz 8 must be released!

Traute
Traute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 12:59 PM   #4
Serath
Manshoon

Yes very disappointing. Hopefully they can pull it out and continue to produce those two series.

Serath
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:50 AM   #5
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Hi Ziroc!

The only thing that I could think of to do individually for Sir-Tech is pre-order Wizardry 8 and hope for the best. However, if enough people got together and contacted various publishers and such, then one of those companies may be persuaded to fund Wizardry 9 and/or Jagged Alliance 3. However for this to happen, it would take a LOT of people (I would think several thousand at least, but I could be wrong) and efforts would probably have to be centered on one company to make any sort of progress regarding that. Other than that, about all I can think of is for someone to privately fund the Wizardry 9 and Jagged Alliance 3 projects but I don't exactly have the money for that...

I hope this gets figured out...

-Jafin

------------------

I am Jafin, arch-mage of the HADB clan!
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 08:57 AM   #6
mithrandir
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, what about a petition of us fans, like we did for an english version of the german rpg "Gothic" (http://www.worldofgothic.de/gothic/i...go=screenshots). For Gothic there were less than 500 votes, what will wiz8 reach?

I took a few minutes and it ended here -> http://www.PetitionOnline.com/guw8/petition.html

So let's get some fans together and sign this!

------------------
... Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Dwarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I do not go.
mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 06:48 PM   #7
catzenpewters
Manshoon

What a great idea! I've signed the petition
catzenpewters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 07:42 AM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Even more bad news. I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster that I want to get off, but won't stop!

I just read this on the VoodooExtreme site ( http://www.voodooextreme.com/):

Sirtech Dead? 5:38 AM (your time) - James "Prophet" Fudge - Games: General - (8)
German gaming site Gamesurf.de passed along this disturbing bit from a Jagged Alliance fansite about the demise of Sir-tech Canada (makers of the Wizardry and Jagged Alliance series of games). Apparently they were looking for some kind of assistance from Sir-tech and received this sad bit of news from Ian Currie, Director of Product Development at the company:

Hi,

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to help you out. Tomorrow will be my last day working for Sirtech. Everyone else has already gone.

Ian Currie
Director, Product Development
Sir-tech Canada Ltd.
This is probably the saddest news i've heard all year. This also means that we will probably never get to play Wizardry 8 or another Jagged Alliance game..

I hope they're wrong about Wiz 8 not coming out.

Mark

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 08-31-2001).]
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 11:32 AM   #9
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Skywalker,

I wonder about that tidbit you saw. Since Linda Currie gave a big hint on the forums where she indirectly said that Wiz 8 would be out within the next 2 months. So, this is strange to hear, but she seemed like she was being honest about that.

Anyway, theres still more WW to play....hopefully someone else will pick up after the Curries, David Bradley, where are you???

Take care

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 12:46 PM   #10
MagiK

I was going to sign your petition Mithrandir but I have some bad news for you....Wizardry VII has been out for years...I think you ment Wizardry VIII

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.