Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 07-15-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
Pangur Ban

****** SPOILER WARNING ***********

If you have not finished reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, do not read any further !!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[ 07-16-2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Pangur Ban ]
Old 07-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
Pangur Ban

I just finished the book a few minutes ago.

I still have tears in my eyes. I didn't think the death of this character would shock me so much.

Even though I have set up spoiler warnings, I still won't name the person - If you have finished the book, ( and not trying to get a few quick spoilers ) you know who I mean.

Bring on the final book !!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

I've just finished it too. 9 straight hours of reading. And it is quite a read.

Yes, I too was touched by his death. And I was also, moved by his betrayal.

And I suspected the Half Blood Prince to be Voldermort. Well, I thought wrong. An incredible read.

[ 07-16-2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: SecretMaster ]
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Pangur Ban

A few comments, in no particular order.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione are (still) growing up, but this didn't seem to be handled as well in HP6, as it did in HP5. Mentions of relationships with the opposite sex, and snogging, didn't seem complex enough to indicate their growing maturity. Err now, how am I am going show these teenagers growing up? Of course - they'll chase the opposite sex, snog a bit, and have some jealous feelings. That said, I did think that the feelings between Harry and Ginny were developed nicely.

I was looking forward to finding out the latest exploits of Dudley Dursley - I've been hoping that he gets sent to St Brutus's school. No such luck. The sub plot with Harry living at the Dursley's seems to be brought to an abrupt end.

The books seem to be getting more and more serious - are they losing their sense of humour? There are a few great lines --'No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines,' said Dumbledore. 'I do love knitting patterns.' --but I miss some of the more outragous humour from the earlier books.

Who, ( or what ) is R.A.B.? Knowing how well the the half blood prince was concealed from us poor readers - a name instead of a royal title - I'm guessing it's going to be something other than someone's initials.

Draco Malfoy? GRRRR !!! If I cried when Dumbledore died, I'm going to shout with elation if and when that little %^&*%&$!! gets what's coming to him in HP7.

The Wizarding world under siege? Shopkeepers disappearing? Not very helpful advice sent out by the Ministry of Magic? Couldn't help but draw comparisions with the recent bombings in London. Death eaters and Voldemort supporters = terrorists? Strange co-incidence, but this of course could not have been planned in advance.

Enough for the moment, I think I'll re-read all the HP's, keeping in mind the new info about Voldemort's history , and see if I can come up with a decent theory on " R.A.B. ".

[ 07-16-2005, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Pangur Ban ]
Old 07-16-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I was disappointed that Snape turned out to be bad after all. It was kind of a let down because I think his character was more interesting when he was filled with hatred for Harry but ultimately on his side. Weak and evil is a bit too one-dimensional compared to weak, spite-filled, petty, but tortured with a grudging heart of gold.

I thought the romance and such was appropriate - maybe being closer in age to them I appreciated it more than some . Though I'm glad she has resisted putting Ron and Hermione together just yet - though I'm sure there will be a climactic scene in the next one re that. Though I do hate the word 'snog' with a passion! There did seem to be a real romance theme, with the older characters as well - I guess to correspond with Dumbledore's 'love is the most powerful magic' thing.

I don't know about the next one! One thing I have loved about all the books is the way the schoolwork and such has been interspersed with the adventures. That is something that I think was not well brought across in the movies (well the one I saw anyway, the third one) because of the time pressures to get all the exciting stuff in. But if they're not going to be at school, then that will be missing.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:29 AM   #6
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I was disappointed that Snape turned out to be bad after all. .
YOu should know better than to judge before the end!
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
I was disappointed that Snape turned out to be bad after all. It was kind of a let down because I think his character was more interesting when he was filled with hatred for Harry but ultimately on his side. Weak and evil is a bit too one-dimensional compared to weak, spite-filled, petty, but tortured with a grudging heart of gold.
Snape isn't bad, far from it. I think there's more to the injuries Dumbledore suffered than meets the eye. Who are we to say that the burned hand and the potion were fatal injuries? Dumbledore mentioned multiple times that he visited Snape instead of Madam Pomfrey, obviously for a good reason. No doubt Dumbledore knew he was going to die, and I think it's all part of the plot that Snape killed him off. In that way he held his Unbreakable Vow and relieved Dumbledore from his agony.
This feeling is only strengthened by the fact that Snape never tried to stun Harry, but merely deflected his attacks. I got the feeling that he was trying to explain his behaviour to Harry, but I may be wrong. The whole battle between Snape and Harry did have something fishy about it all, though.
My theory, however. I don't know if it's true!

Quote:
I thought the romance and such was appropriate - maybe being closer in age to them I appreciated it more than some . Though I'm glad she has resisted putting Ron and Hermione together just yet - though I'm sure there will be a climactic scene in the next one re that. Though I do hate the word 'snog' with a passion! There did seem to be a real romance theme, with the older characters as well - I guess to correspond with Dumbledore's 'love is the most powerful magic' thing.
I think the romance plot was handled pretty ok. Hermione and Ron's relationship, of course, could be seen miles away. Even in Phoenix it was obvious the two of them would hook up, and Joanne's hints on her website gave enough away as well.
Harry and Ginny, though, was a bit of a surprise, but nothing too much. I did find it a bit hero-esque of Harry to end their relationship in order to do 'great things', but I guess that makes the ending of book 7 even more emotional.

Quote:
I don't know about the next one! One thing I have loved about all the books is the way the schoolwork and such has been interspersed with the adventures. That is something that I think was not well brought across in the movies (well the one I saw anyway, the third one) because of the time pressures to get all the exciting stuff in. But if they're not going to be at school, then that will be missing.
Ditto about the next one. I'm rather curious as to what Hogwarts' role will be in it, as Harry stated "he will not be returning to Hogwarts, even if it's not closed". Secretly, I'm hoping for a tag-team of good guys, consisting of Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny, but I think that's too much to hope for
Haven't seen the movies yet, so can't say anything about them really.

All in all, I thought Half-Blood Prince was really good. It had me turning the pages until the end, wanting to know more, eager for what'll happen next.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Snape isn't bad, far from it. I think there's more to the injuries Dumbledore suffered than meets the eye. Who are we to say that the burned hand and the potion were fatal injuries? Dumbledore mentioned multiple times that he visited Snape instead of Madam Pomfrey, obviously for a good reason. No doubt Dumbledore knew he was going to die, and I think it's all part of the plot that Snape killed him off. In that way he held his Unbreakable Vow and relieved Dumbledore from his agony.
This feeling is only strengthened by the fact that Snape never tried to stun Harry, but merely deflected his attacks. I got the feeling that he was trying to explain his behaviour to Harry, but I may be wrong. The whole battle between Snape and Harry did have something fishy about it all, though.
I was thinking a similar thing
To be honest though i'm starting to get a bit bored with the 'is Snape evil' thing.

On the subject of R.A.B.:

Well, the only wizarding family i can think of off the top of my head with a surnmae begining with B is Black...

Didn't Sirus's brother also leave the Death Eaters? It was mentioned IIRC in this book i think, syaing he only lasted a few weeks when Karkorov was discovered dead, he was called Regulus Black, did give a middle mane though...

[ 07-18-2005, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>I am lost for words, and see no reason to repeat the words that are already printed above, but my shock at Mr. D being the one to get killed was not foreseen at all. For a long time, I thought it would really be Malfoy. Then I thought it was going to be whoever that was that Malfoy stepped over downstairs...like Professor McG. I did not believe my eyes at 3am in the morning when I passed over the words that said that Dumbledore had been the one to die. I actually re-read the whole page to make sure I had not mis-read it.

Um...I really hope that Harry does not get to go alone. I want to see the team together, but I am also bothered that They will not be finishing their lat year. I can see Ron running off with Harry, but I don't see Hermoine doing so if the school was open. She'd have to stay, I reckon. I also do not put much into the idea that Ron's parents would not hunt him down if he rean off. They just would not allow that after Bill.

Speaking of Bill...did anyone see THAT coming????? And what about Fleur??!!! She stayed!!! Woah!

I really do not know what to expect in book seven at all. I am bothered to think that Snape was evil. The first thing that came to my mind was that Dumbledore has another way back. He really isn't dead...but then...I am sure that is why the Phoenix was mentioned so vividly as leaving with the mourning song. So that screws my theory. But what was mentioned above is true...Snape did not attempt to hurt Harry at all, and could have at least done something to him. I am not convinced that he is still on our side and only had to pretend around the other death eaters. That might be why Dumbledore was saying please. Please stay true to what you and I talked about needing to be done...

I dunno.

Damn, cannot wait for the next book. </font>
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
</font>[/QUOTE]Interesting theory! Although didn't Snape say that no one could attack Harry because he was to be left for Voldemort? But I guess Snape still could have harmed him but not killed him. I'm vague on the details - Dumbledore froze Harry so he couldn't join the fight with Draco and Greyback et al as well - possibly didn't want Harry accidently killed because Dumbledore knew he had to die?

I'm positive Harry won't be going it alone, Larry. JK wouldn't have set up this friendship, with Harry never being able to do any of the things he has done in the previous books without their help, if book seven was just going to be Harry the whole time. I'm sure she'd know that would be really boring, especially because her writing style is such that you rarely (usually only a couple of initial introductory sections) have any scenes that aren't with Harry, from Harry's point of view.