Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2002, 09:22 AM   #11
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

quote:

Anyway, who was time for watching flicks when one has 18 kids, 5 wives (and god forbid 5 mothers-in-law)
You are thinking of a church that used to call themselvs the Reformed Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (RLDS)...which are a break-off sect that believe in plural marriages. I believe thier home-base is in Missouri. I do not know what they are calling themselves these days, but they do not share the beliefs of the Mormons.(LDS) Mormons do not practice plural marriages. [/QUOTE]Then I am sorry for my missrepresentation of their practices too. There is obviously a lot of missinformation dispersed about the Mormons because I did have a strong idea that some of them do practice plural marriages.

Again I appologise if I have caused any offence.

[ 11-20-2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 11-20-2002, 09:24 AM   #12
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
You are thinking of Quakers, not Mormons
Larry, I know some Quakers who have TV sets. They are pacifists, not technophobes. Maybe the Amish?
And wasn't there an edited version of The Phantom Menace circulating around on the net about a year ago wwith all of the annoying things, like Jar Jar, edited out, called, appropriately enough, The Phantom Edit? And didn't Lucasfilms get them to stop, citing breach of copyright? They weren't even selling it!

[ 11-20-2002, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 11-20-2002, 09:25 AM   #13
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
font color=skyblue>You are thinking of Quakers, not Mormons
Larry, I know some Quakers who have TV sets. They are pacifists, not technophobes. Maybe the Amish?[/QUOTE]No I think it's the people of Adelaide.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:27 AM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Caleb, as much as your graphic may be 'amusing' it is also flaming another member and I'll ask you not to use it again in that manner. Warhammer may not know every detail about Mormons but you have certainly been around long enough to know the rules.

Not knowing about the Mormons is understandable and acceptable, flaming someone is neither.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:36 AM   #15
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Leonis... Don't worry about it. It's cool with me.
Attalus... Now that you mention it, I think you are right! I sometimes get the Amnish mixed up with the Quakers. If I offended any Quakers on this forum, then I apologize for my ignorance.

It is true, that Mormon church leaders have asked that R rated movies be avoided. But it is not just the Mormons that feel this way. Many people here where I work feel the same way. They are not Mormon...they have standards that do not allow them to watch things that make R rated movies rated R. Non-mormons are also part of this franchise of edited movies.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:37 AM   #16
WillowIX
Apophis

It´s clear I didn´t think this through enough before posting this topic. It was not directed at mormons, or any other religion/belief, at all but as a story on copyrights, since this has been a topic here lately. If this gets out of hand then you mods please lock and loa..., ermm delete [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-20-2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 11-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #17
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Caleb, as much as your graphic may be 'amusing' it is also flaming another member and I'll ask you not to use it again in that manner. Warhammer may not know every detail about Mormons but you have certainly been around long enough to know the rules.

Not knowing about the Mormons is understandable and acceptable, flaming someone is neither.
Im sure it wont be a problem since he will makes sure he has his facts straight before he insults another religion

[ 11-20-2002, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: caleb ]
Old 11-20-2002, 09:42 AM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Regarding the various sects mentioned,

Quakers live and work in the world with all the rest of us. The Amish do keep to their own communities and avoid technology. Mormons (the main branch) outlawed polygamy many years ago, but as I understand it there are break-away groups who (illegaly) practice polygamy, although the government would only recognize the first marriage as legitimate.

Willow- interesting info. I am torn on this one, as I do feel a work like a film is someone's 'art' and as such I don't feel great about seeing it chopped up, but on the other hand, I suppose it's ok if the audience KNOWS it's been edited and accepts that. I imagine some things would be suitable for kids, then, but on the other hand, it might be better to wait til you feel they are old enough to see the 'real' thing without the cuts. Tough decision!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:43 AM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
quote:

Im sure it wont be a problem since he will makes sure he has his facts straight before he insults another religion [/QUOTE]I'm sure it won't be a problem because you will learn to be more gracious in accepting that sometimes people don't know as much as you think you do.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:44 AM   #20
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
I'm sure it won't be a problem because you will learn to be more gracious in accepting that sometimes people don't know as much as you think you do.
Ah touche