Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Roboghost
Manshoon

Boredom has set in and I'm going to venture away from BG1 on occasion to build a Wizardry 8 team to level 50 [well...since it CAN be done.]

Some Self Rules:
-no class changes
-six players
-no RPCs
-hybrids are going to train BOTH physical and spell
-bishops are going to train TWO schools each and some physical

I'm set on this party, but is there someone better that can replace the Mook Ranger? I think I have enough spell power and the scouting ability of the ranger can be missed for the most part:

1 - Human Samurai
2 - Human Monk
3 - Mook Ranger?
4 - Hobbit Gadgeteer
5 - Elf Bishop (Mage/Priest)
6 - Elf Bishop (Alchemy/Psionics)

My ideas to replace ranger:
Dracon Fighter - training both close and ranged combat
Hobbit Rogue - lockpick would allow gadgeteer to fight/defend more
Human Lord - they can wear negative HP items without dying

I basically need someone to help the sammi and monk along - since they are not going to be totally focusing on combat skills. Thanks!
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
xfactor
Dungeon Master

Since you'll be lacking a real tank character for the most part (Monks only really get good as tanks later on, IMO) I'd maybe go with the Human Lord. If you're going to level 50 with no class changes then the problems of taking hybrids shouldn't be so pronounced after around level 25 so I'd go with the Lord over a Fighter.

I find Fighters, and Rogues, get really boring after about level 20 since they've usually maxed out the few attributes that are useful to them and once you hace the best weapons they become a bit repetitive. At least the Lord can learn spells, and the potential 125 Dual Weapons skill is extremely nice.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

After level 16 or so the Ranger will be quite deadly with a strong bow. I would stick with him just for his insta wacks and range abillities. If you want some tanks have the bishops summon elementals.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Roboghost
Manshoon

Thanks for input!

I'll go with the Ranger after all, but changing to a Human -- enabling me to build alchemy skills along with bow and scouting.

xfactor:
I read that 100 is the max you can benefit from dual wield. It simply eliminates the penalty at 100 and anything more is wasted. The benefit is that it would allow skimping on dual and bump other skills instead. A lordess sure would look good in a set of Black Gown of Death robes though!

Here's my ranger build chart:
L1 L14 L28 L32 L42 L50
STR 50 58 58 100 100 100 100
INT 50 53 58 58 70 100 100
PIE 45 46 46 46 46 76 100
VIT 50 50 50 50 50 50 74
DEX 55 61 100 100 100 100 100
SPD 45 46 46 88 100 100 100
SEN 55 61 100 100 100 100 100
Bonus: 25

Just makes 100 PIE at level 50 - talking about maximizing. Now if I can just remember all those damn keyboard commands...
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
Target
Red Dragon

Good luck Roboghost, any idea how long it will take to get to level 50?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Roboghost
Manshoon

Smiley

Thanks for wish of luck.

And; toooo long is the answer [to reach level 50.]

I'm holding them at level 5 now gaining some skills. The idea is not to spread the skills much at level ups. Hybrids need all the help they can get. Getting them powerful enough to battle greater foes...and gain quicker experience points.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
DraconFighter
Dungeon Master

5 - Elf Bishop (Mage/Priest)
6 - Elf Bishop (Alchemy/Psionics)

What were your thoughts on dividing the books between your two bishops? I can see that both will get Knock Knock, which is a good idea, but the first bishop gets all the buff spells. Would it work better if you divided the books Alc-Div and Psi-Wiz between the two bishops. That way both get Knock Knock and both get a number of buff spells which will help raise skills more evenly between the two. But maybe you have a better idea?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Roboghost
Manshoon

Bishop spellbook split:

The Alch/Psi makes a mighty aggressor and the Mag/Pri makes a great defender. The Alch/Psi does the Element Shield and the Mag/Pri does the Soul Shield on round one. Note that they can BOTH do these important buffs as well ; )

The out-of-battle buffs are split between my sammy and mag/pri (2 each.) This drains the spell points a bit from each, but that allows the alch/psi to throw/cast another spell or two in big battles. Having the mage in the priest does allow him to pop out an occasional offensive spell when everybody is healthy for the next round. The priest doesn't have much for the fire realm as well and the mage side can build it up -- the priest spell Lightning is actually very nasty when used at full power! It seems to even work on those resistant to fire -- handy that is {*wondering?*}.

Note that my mag/pri also does my X-Ray spell to keep the mental growing - it's the one that lags on this character who is now level 19. Need it so that I have a high level Sane Mind spell at the ready.

I also like having these available to both:
Stamina
Cure Poison
Cure Paralysis
Purify Air
Resurrection

They seem to be needed a lot so far! My ranger can do these too and it's kind of cool curing 3 poisons in one round [prefer spells to build them] when you get blasted by some Acid Wings (they seem to get though full power Magic Screen and Element Shield occasionally...grr...)
Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Since this thread started some time ago, I'm going to recommend a party of 3. I never take more than that anymore. I only play on normal difficulty.

Oh, and I always take the same 3 classes. I sometimes mix the races though.