Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default A few questions here... new to NWN

first off, i'm trying to find a site where i can BUY , NWN or NWN2, i'd like to get the diamond pack if i can, though i did not find anything on biowares site, the roads are icy, and i dont feel like driving to ebgames or walmart to see if they have it

now here are some questions i have

Hello, thanks for reading

Big RPG fan here, might and magic, wizardy, fallout, BG, BG2, ect ect

but I have never played NWN at all

I have a few questions and then i think i can make up my mind

i'm looking for a game that i can play online here and there if i need help with quests, now i have no idea if i'm able to do that, but i'm guessing the online is kinda like BG. I'm looking for a game i can lose myself in and spend lots of hours. You know games where your happy when you find some rare item? or when your character levels up and you just smile?

i want that!

does NWN offer a good online? are there some servers that just run mods?

who wins in the online playing? nwn, or nwn2?

should i play the game vanilla first and then try a mod? or is there some mega mod that just rocks?

how many hours of game play? does the game suck you in? I'm looking to spend hours and hours,, i'm a powergamer i guess

should i try nwn, or nwn 2 first?

any other advice?

i'll be posting this in nwn, and nwn message board to spice things up for answers

thanks
darnapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: A few questions here... new to NWN

While I love NWN's it sounds like what you are seeking is a massive multiplayer online RPG. While NWN has a nice online community it isn't really something you can "lose" yourself in for hours on end as far as online goes. Offline is another story since the OC is usually quite big.

Quote:
i'm looking for a game that i can play online here and there if i need help with quests, now i have no idea if i'm able to do that, but i'm guessing the online is kinda like BG. I'm looking for a game i can lose myself in and spend lots of hours. You know games where your happy when you find some rare item? or when your character levels up and you just smile?
Check out World of Warcraft for controlled levelling, a massive world that feels real and has hundreds of other people there to aid you on your journey. There aren't really any "mega-mods" for NWN, all are hosted by someone who either created them or downloaded them, and they do so under their own set of rules. Again, it sounds like you are looking for an online persistant world that never ends. WoW or some other MMO has this. Trial is here. https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/t...yfreetrial.htm

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 01-19-2008 at 01:24 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i play wow,, kinda bored with it

just looking for something to recharge my batteries

so would you suggest NWN, or NWN2?

storyline,cool items that are hard to get, and a fun time will doing it is what i'm looking for

the online i'm just looking for if i need some help, if thats possible

i'm up for anything

comments?
darnapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I bought NWN for my nephews a year ago from Amazon.com, and the product is still available there now for $20 new and eligible for free shipping if you find something else that qualifies for free shipping that is at least $5. I recommend a sci-fi novel.

http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Ni...0788314&sr=8-1

And as for what to play first...the order does not matter in terms of story, but if you play NWN2 first, you'd feel like you were backtracking a little in quality of graphics I think so I'd get NWN1 first. You might not even have the ability to play NWN2. I don't. My PC cannot handle it, so I am left to wait until I get bills paid and other debts taken care of before I build a new computer. A lot of people had to do upgrades on this thing to play NWN2, and some people were disappointed with the results afterward. NWN1 will not let you down, and as such, there are so many more mods online to play and download so the range of fun and playability is so much higher with NWN1.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

But that's only until some good mods for NWN2 start to come out.

Like Mysteries of Westgate and Purgatorio.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

How could you guys talk about NWN without mentioning this forum's official NWN1 mod?

darnapkin, Ziroc the webmaster of this forum has a huge custom module called "Escape from Undermountain". I haven't played it in a long time but he run it pretty much 24/7 last I checked, and he's constantly adding new things.

While I now like NWN2's graphics and updated ruleset more than the older NWN1, I'd say NWN1 has the best online experience.

There's plenty of dedicated and permanent mods and servers for NWN1, and the modding community is big. NWN2 doesn't have the same online experience yet because it was made by a different company and they didn't invest as much time into the online part.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
Legolas
Jack Burton

Perhaps it's good to point out that there are a few key differences between BG and NWN.
One of them's the fact that you're effectively a party of one in NWN, rather like in Fallout except without the orderly turn-based action. NWN2 gives you far more control over the others in your group but it's still no BG and as a result your tactical options are perhaps more limited.
The other is the difference in the use of the mod term. In BG, where you have a huge world and story, and in particular in BG2 where that's enriched with a ton of bantering characters, most mods make changes and additions to that world. In NWN, most mods have nothing to do with eachother, each one being a different tale in a different world with different rules. This is both because the official campaign is nowhere near as rich as the BG ones, and because of the relative ease of use of the toolset that comes with the game which allows everyone to throw stuff together and some folks to do so with great skill. Perfect for letting your imagination run wild and creating the adventure experience you wanted.

Despite the release of NWN2, NWN still offers a fairly wide selection of online games, practically all of them mods. While there's not as much variety as in downloadable modules (which you can often host as multiplayer mod yourself if you want to play one through with a friend or two) you've enough to choose from. There's a vast difference in quality though, both of the mod itself and the communities and dungeon masters. Player counts vary from roughly 0-60, most of them on the low end of the scale. Find what works for you.
As for myself, I can safely say NWN can indeed suck one in if you find or make your niche.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnapkin View Post
i play wow,, kinda bored with it

just looking for something to recharge my batteries

so would you suggest NWN, or NWN2?

storyline,cool items that are hard to get, and a fun time will doing it is what i'm looking for

the online i'm just looking for if i need some help, if thats possible

i'm up for anything

comments?

Well if you've played WoW and never played NWN's you have much to be shameful about. Where were you while the gap was being bridged?

I would not miss out on the tons of content that NWN1 already has. But the graphics will look dated compared to the newer games that you have been playing, so be warned. But, if you love D&D like the rest of us you won't care. NWN 2 has updated graphics but is still somehwat in it's infancy and isn't as popular as NWN 1 is/was. I still think you are seeking more of an MMO experience though, as opposed to what NWN brings us. Now, if you don't care about playing offline you can indeed lose yourself in the SP modes of both games.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Get NWN, it's going to be cheap, then get yourself into Z's mod: Escape from Undermountain, escape from reality.

It is big, there's a lot of stuff to do/find, the people who you find in there will chat/team up/help out with builds, with gear, with GP.

Do it with one build, tweak, do it again, tweak, do it again...the only problem I have is that I spend too many hours in it, although strictly speaking I spend too many weeks in it each year, hours doesn't come close.

If you are looking for somewhere to spend a lot of time playing then come on in, the water's lovely (actually the water is full of very scary things, but you don't find them until you get to level 13 so all is good).

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Demanacus1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings, All.

I have spent the last 2 days reading alot of the entries in your forum, but I still cannot find some of the information I seek. I have been "monitoring" this server, through the Multiplayer Server List on NWN1, because it was recommended to me, but I was playing on a different PW, that was a little too Role-Play Intense, as in, it was fun and all, but I spent WAY too many hours talking "In Character", to try to get information like, Where's the weapon shop? Where can a low level character get some questing? etc. The death penalty was WAY too steep. 1/3 of total experience was lost, when you died. Thats rough. Anyways, I cant seem to find any notation on "Death Penalty". How much gold/exp does it cost you? How do you get your items back? Does it leave a "corpse", that you have to re-find? etc.

Also, I'm looking to Migrate from the other PW, to a new one (possibly this one), because I was a HUGE fan of Undermountain, back in the days when I used to DM regularly. Anyways, how intense is the RP "In Character" here? Is it necessary? I truly enjoy a little In Character RP, but the other server was just TOO intense. The DM's would "knock you" if you were out of character at ANY TIME while logged in. Anyways, I see that there's never anyone online here, and that worries me. Me and my buddy are looking for a PW where we can play together, as a "Party of Two (or more)". I need to download the last HakPak, and I'll give the server a whirl tonight.

But after all of this, is there anything that anyone can tell me about this place? As in, Why are there never any people in-game? what are the RP rules? what are the death penalties? Whats the level cap? are there custom spells (Divine/Arcane)? etc.

So anything that an Experienced D&D'er who's new to NWN Online needs to know? I've almost beaten the single player, but only logged about 10-15 hours online. So i'm not a TOTAL n00b, just new to online.

Please advise.
Thank you in advance.
Demanacus1 is offline   Reply With Quote