Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Roboghost
Manshoon

Crazed Silly Happy Paladin

I don't see any posts here in the new section, so...I'll tell ya what I'm up to now for my IWD adventures.

I'm bored [yep] with the normal game - even in HoF - so I've been modding the game myself for fun. I eliminated all the random stuff {I've always hated that part personally -- I don't mind the random stuff for low level spells, and other miscellaneous items like BG1 did, but not the good stuff.}

Anyway, I wanted to improve the Pale Justice for a Paladin [some of the immunities are pointless due to HoW version of the Paladin with their Divine Courage at level 3], so I modeled it after a BGII weapon - the Carsomyr +5 - and came up with something...wonderful...powerful, but not too powerful if in HoF playing mode:

STATISTICS:

Damage: 2D4 +5 (+2D2 fire)
THAC0: +5
Damage type: Slashing
Armor Class: +2 bonus
Resistance Bonuses:
+5% Resistance vs. All Physical Attacks
+30% Magic Resistance
+2 Save vs. Spells
Special: +1 bonus attack per round
15% of all hits cast Cure Moderate Wounds on the user
20% chance of Power Word: Silence on the target
Immune to level one spells, Dire Charm, Hopelessness, Mournful Wail, Undying Lament, Death Knell, and Death Ray
Weight: 12
Speed Factor: 2
Proficiency Type: Great Sword
Type: 1-handed
Minimum Strength of 17 required
Only Usable By:
Paladins

You can use this for your own ideas and carry on (the 17 idea came from Ajantis of BG1 fame.) I also fixed items here and there along the way such as Misery's Herald - it was not Cold Iron (fixed) and didn't cause 10% Horror (fixed) {though I'm not sure if Cold Iron mattered, but makes the weapon much more fun and realizes its weapon history much better and all.}

Last edited by Roboghost; 11-09-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Default Re: Happy Paladin

Good idea. There's no way that Pale Justice should be weaker than the Long Sword of Action +4.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Can anyone tell me what were the original stats? Too lazy to search...

Also HoF doesn't change any item stats, does it?

What software do you use for modding, Roboghost?

Last edited by ZFR; 11-07-2007 at 02:13 PM.
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Dmg: 1d8 +4, +7 vs evil
Thaco: +4, +7 vs evil
Special: Immune to Cloak of Fear, Horror, Dire Charm, Symbol of Hopelessness
Speed Factor: 1

Sooo, Roboghost's version is much better.

Edit: Pale Justice would be better if it made the wielder immune to Confusion effects as well. Stupid umber hulks. Nothing like getting the paladin's (supposedly) uber-sword and whacking on your own group with it in the same area where you found the sword. :p

Last edited by Aerich; 11-07-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Aerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Roboghost
Manshoon

Near Infinity works great at editing for me. There's quite a lot of "Unknown" labels, but it still gets the job done for most of what you want to do. One thing I can't figure out is how to use to hit and damage against specific alignments or races, etc. The Pale Justice is a mystery to me on how it uses its +7 on evil...

Anyway, the protection from confusion is a cool idea, but I figured to keep it modeled closely to the Pale Justice. I summon creatures to attack those Umber Hulks. My main objective was to be able to attack those Wailing Virgins and Eye of Beholders (they can still turn you to stone - but I keep a Stone to Flesh or two handy for THAT.) There are two normal game items (one random) that protects against the dreaded Finger of Death, so it doesn't need to be included with the sword as well.

My sword is basically:
Carsomyr +5 and Pale Justice and Long Sword of Action +4 and then some...

The most important thing is that you get the +1 attack for a paladin - they really need that for HoF mode!

I've actually made some other items for my paladin such as:
1. 100% Acid and Normal Weapon Immunity Armor
-This allows acid spells and those bomb beetles (I've made it immune to the fart spray from them)
2. 100% Fire Shield
-This allows for fire spells

The bottom line for these two items is that is bites that you can't use area effect spells when your fighters are around...

Don’t worry: I’ve actually gave the bad guys better stuff too – the Drow now carry +2 (Life dagger & long sword) weapons instead of +1 weapons. It took me hours and hours to beef the baddies up, but it will be worth it in the end. I even gave those Neo Orog Generals a +2 weapon – yike!

Finally -- all those missing items that were never put in -- they are there now (yee haw). I've modded the heck out of so much stuff that it will be a whole new game when I play it! A good example is the Svian's Club - I added 5% chance of Slow {like you break a bone.} Just a little bit here and there makes a difference. I'm fearful of going near Fleezum - he has a +3 sword and a better shield now ; )

Last edited by Roboghost; 11-09-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

1 handed greatsword... neat.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

??

Every bastard sword in the game uses greatsword proficiency, so there are plenty of one-handed swords using the greatsword proficiency.