Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I need some advice. I'm thinking of setting up a Seller Account on eBay to get rid of some games, videos, and books I no longer use or read, but I'm having some problems getting the account set-up.

I chose to be a Verified Seller (which incurs a $5 fee). It also asks for a LOT of personal info (such as mortgage payment, mortgage loan number, etc). That didn't bother too much and I still felt more comfortable giving out that info instead of credit card# AND my checking account#. But my application couldn't be completed online and I had to call the 800 number. When I called, I ran into another snag because I couldn't remember my last 3 street addresses. So now they are sending me an email and are going to require COPIES of some of my legal papers.

I don't know about that. I don't feel comfortable about sending copies of legal documents AT ALL, but I'm also concerned about eBay's security if I choose to just use my credit card and checking account info.

If anyone here has a Seller Account, I would like to know what method you chose when you set up your account and did you have anywhere near this much hassle?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I don't know anything about the selling side of eBay, but why do you need another account at all? Can't you just use one account to buy and sell?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric

Yes and no. Yes, I will be using the same ID I already have established, but that account is a Buyer Account only.

In order to become a Seller, I have to provide a BUNCH of personal financial data to eBay for verification. I understand the need to ensure I'm not some scam-artist, but I really don't like any of the options of info they are asking for.

We have a nurse here who has supposedly made a TON of money off eBay since Christmas. I doubt I will have her kind of success, but this does provide an option to actually make some money on stuff I am getting rid of anyway.

I've sent an email to Paul and asked what option he chose. I also sent an email to another IW member that I know sold some stuff on eBay and asked him the same question.

I just want to see what other people did to verify thier ID to eBay. I am very concered with the idea of having my credit card# and checking account# stored on their server - but I don't really like all the other stuff they are asking for either.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

I just sold some memory on EBay and did not have to establish a seller's account. But then I did not have any issues with giving them my account information either, since I'm pretty sure EBay is not a fly by night operation [img]smile.gif[/img] If you are going to use Paypay for collecting money (the best option imo) you will need to attached a checking account to your paypal account. If you are really worried about nastiness maybe a good solution would be to get a secured credit card with a very low limit (like $100) and open a second checking acount then use those for EBay/Paypal. That way if there is any problems you limit your exposure.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

What you're talking about is a verified seller account, not just a seller account. Now, while I haven't exactly bought a ton of stuff on eBay, I can tell you that a seller's being verified has never come into play for me. I look at feedback and responses.

You might want to hold off on this until you really need it.

You can also check eBay's notes on the process. I don't think they maintain any of your data once you've been verified.

That being said, I'm extremely leery of anyone who thinks they need my mortgage information...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Hi, I'm an eBay junkie, and my name is buylow*sellhigh. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've sold a couple of hundred bucks worth of stuff and bought even more on eBay, and I've never had a problem with just a regular account.

For games and music I've actually had better results selling on Amazon. Not their eBay like auction section either, but the main section. You just look for the item in question, and if they sell it, it should offer an option to sell yours. They take credit cards from buyers for you. They take the payment, subtract their fee(no worse than eBay's), and credit you for shipping. Then once or twice a month(or more often if you choose) they'll send you your money. The great part is you don't have to wait a week to sell something. Most of the CDs and games I sold last summer sold in less than 24 hours. You can see what others are selling theirs for and price your slightly less to show up on the top of the list. It's really cool.

The things that Amazon did sell or had priced too low I auctioned on eBay.

EDIT - My 'better results' comments regarding Amazon is related to the speed of orders being placed and payment, but it doesn't indicate any actual problem with eBay or sales there.

[ 04-08-2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah I shop alot of ebay. I buy many games there too, some that I lost and want replaced or some brand new (cheaper!). I have sold a few items there also and will confirm the fact that the cerified seller option...well this is the first I've heard of it. I look at feeback only and never had problems selling stuff to people either (2 days max).

Just connect your checking account to paypal. Ebay is a huge company with big fingers in the stock market - this is no online scam, mate so don't worry.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:57 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have a verified seller's account and it was no big deal. I have bought stuff from there before and use my credit card to make purchases, and my seller account is set up in my checking account, with the credit card as backup. It was very easy to do, and I trust them with my information. I never really considered it being unsafe.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:26 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric

I'm not concerned with eBay mis-using my info. My concern is that somebody else could hack their system and get my info.

That's what worries me.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

dont send it then. Just dont reply to the email. Set up a normal account, or make up a new verified seller account but make sure you know the address. Although I, like the rest of them, dont mind about the verified user, I just read the reviews.