Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-23-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Im about to graduate high school, a big point in someones life, and my parents are pretty worried. Ive worked hard in most of my classes, (except Art, dont really have to try too hard in that class) and am getting decent grades in all of my classes, all except one... Economics.

Dont ask my why Im not doing well, I just dont know. I mean, Im good at it, I just dont seem to get enough points to get a C. (Ive got a D, its close.) my Econ teacher is pretty cool as Econ teachers go, but for some reason Im just not passing.

Anyway, back to the reason why I have this title...

So the progress report comes home, I get home first, take a look at the card, see the D, and being a responsible adult, I leave it on the dining room table for my parents to see. I then proceed to go to work for the night. (I work at a video rental store, its tough watching movies all night...lol) So when I get home, I go to my comp for a little Neverwinter Nights, or maybe Grand Theft Auto. Anywho, When I open the CD case that most of my games are in, theyre all gone, with a little note instead.

Steven, (Thats my name)
Due to your abuse of these f*cking games, your mother and I have decided that it is best if you dont have to worry about them until after you graduate.
(o)
/----\
l l l l
l l l l
l l l l
l.l.l.l
(Little picture of a trash can with a CD going into it)
Signed,
John
(My step father. The name was changed to keep some privacy)

Now, my step father is a little bit bigger than I, and has a very mean temper. (He gave my cat a heart attack because he hates cats, that F*CKING bastard) So the first thing I do is check the trash cans in the house, and then the sideyard. After a futile search, I give up and go to bed.
The next morning "John" has already gone to work when I wake up. Sighing in defeat, I get ready and make my way to school, knowing that the games are history.

That night, I ask John why he decided to throw away the games that I had bought with my money. His reply was that I had to learn to grow up, and finish High School. Rather unhappy, I tried to explain to him that a D is a passing grade, and I have MORE than enough credits to graduate already. Of course he would hear none of it, and sent me to my room to brood.
Turning on my computer, I heave a sigh, and then open the CD case in my computer (it holds about 7 CDs) and lo and behold, there are some of my older games, Fallout, Fallout 2, Master of Orion 2, Icewind Dale 2, and Age of Mythology. Almost weeping with joy, I pop in fallout and begin a new game.

The point of this story I guess is that my step father is an overbearing Ass who is constantly on a power trip. And I must now slowly rebuild my library of great RPGs and Strategy games, games that I had payed for with my own hard earned money! So I am here to curse "John" for his arrogance and cruelty.
Im sorry if I offended anyone, but I had to get this crap off of my chest, and I hope that your parents arent as cruel as my step father...

[ 05-23-2003, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: the sauceman ]
Old 05-23-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

As a father, I understand the concern of the D, and have on occasion suspended certain privildges for me 11 year old, including the use of her computer but never have I, nor would I consider such a course of action.

I cannot begin to fathom the reasoning behind this.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
Epona
Zartan

School is important - practically everything you do in your life from this point on will be determined by how you do in school.

If he'd confiscated the games until after you graduated, I could understand that. But throwing away something you'd bought yourself seems to be a little over the top.

Unfortunately, if you're a minor, there's not a lot you can do about it.

The thing is, this isn't forever. Finish school, and either get a job or go to college and move out. It will happen eventually, and then you get to decide how much time you spend playing games - but not until then. And also bear in mind that if you play games to the extent that it affects your ability to work, you may end up with no job and no income - by comparison, your stepfather's actions are smallfry.

That's something to think about.

[ 05-23-2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 05-23-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

If he'd confiscated the games until after you graduated, I could understand that. But throwing away something you'd bought yourself seems to be a little over the top.

He sounds like an a**hole.

On a sidenote I would probaly save the games for the weekend and put a little extra work into economics.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Steven,

It may be possible that your evil sf did not 'throwaway' the games but in his power trip madness had secreted them at work or wherever you won't get them. Going head to head with an overgrown adolescent who holds all the power is like pulling the trigger on Clint Eastwood after he says "Go ahead - Make my Day!"

Bring your econ grade up for your own sake (or your mother's sanity)- meanwhile - it's not the end of the world, right? You are not grounded? You still have a job? You can still come and go? He can't win the game if you refuse to pick up the other joystick. Hang in there.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:33 PM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
posted by the sauceman
-----------------------
The point of this story I guess is that my step father is an overbearing Ass who is constantly on a power trip. And I must now slowly rebuild my library of great RPGs and Strategy games, games that I had payed for with my own hard earned money! So I am here to curse "John" for his arrogance and cruelty.
Im sorry if I offended anyone, but I had to get this crap off of my chest, and I hope that your parents arent as cruel as my step father...
good thing i dont have that kind of father (but my mother sometimes gets her moods and she is scary)

personally though, i sometimes feel your pain. you see my parents dont trust me during education (since i always got poor grades on highschool) now in college, im getting average to above average (with a couple of failures because of terror teachers ) and my CGPA is 2.21 (highest 4) which is not bad. still they dont trust me because of what i was at the past.. and they always nag that i always spend time in the computer (not often as before actually only 3hrs a day and that includes cheking email , IW and such) and rarely play games anymore. still they say my computer is to blame. sigh..

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Mysticelt may be right about your stepdad just hiding the games til you finish your schoolwork. If not, at least you can still USE your computer. I know some parents who forbid the use of the computer except for schoolwork if their children aren't doing well in school.

Sounds like he's a bit on the overbearing side, but it also sounds like he wants you to do your best and get a good grade too. And everyone is right, getting the better grade is in your own best interests! When you're out of school and working, you'll be able to replace your games and he won't be able to say it's keeping you from your lessons. [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS: I know you're upset, but try to keep your language family friendly (PG13 ) ok?

[ 05-23-2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-24-2003, 12:07 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

As a father, I can also relate to both sides. Hey, if he didn't care, would he be doing this? I know it sounds corny, but if he didn't want you to succeed, he wouldn't put the effort into trying to remove things that may be stopping you. Heck, my dad took out the VCR in my final year of high school -- pained him more than it did me, but he felt (and rightly so [img]smile.gif[/img] ) that I was spending too much time watching TV. All good stuff had to go through the VCR.

Personally, I would not throw the games out, but I would put them in a place where you couldn't get to them. Once things were over, they'd be back.

Note that I'm not saying your SF is a saint, or that you should worship the ground he walks on. Far from it, although if my kids want to worship the land behind me, they're welcome [img]smile.gif[/img] Remember that there's no manual that tells you how to handle kids (or step-kids) and their situations, and anything you can find out from someone else is usually about 20 or more years old... not always the right thing for today's world. Many of us parents are flying by the seat of our pants, and sometimes, we get it wrong. The smarter ones apologize to their kids afterwards, and the smartest ones learn from it to try to avoid it in the future.

Bear with us. We're trying to do the job as best we can. Keep using the logical and rational approach to deal with us, and you'll get better results.

Good luck, and remember... it's only a couple of weeks...

*B*
Old 05-24-2003, 12:30 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Like most other posters said, school is important, and i'm sure he did it with the best intentions, but... he had no right doing a thing like this. This has nothing to do with stimulating you to study harder, this is destroying trust in the family.

I'm glad such a thing never happened to me, cause i probably would have done something nasty to get even.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:22 AM   #10
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

trust me on this one sweety, do your best and ignore him, I never tried in school, got the worst grades but some howmade it to the 8th grade before I decided that I was not getting anything out of it, my parents didn't care we were always moving anyway so at 14 I dropped out of school, now I wish to god I had stayed in there, and finished high school, if your step father did this, perhaps he had a reason? look at it this way would you rather have someone who cares about you and gives you rules to live by? or would you rather have a parent who did not care and even bought you drugs if you wanted them, just because it would shut you up so they could get drunk? I know it is tough being so close to graduating and havng something you bought with your own money taken away, my husband has become a father to me for awhile because i never learned to be an adult, by this I mean schooling, work and the dreaded house cleaning he has had to teach me, I finaly got my GED but it is not worth much with out the school life to back it up, so te moral of the story?...do your best and if he did throw them out, charge him in family court!!...just kidding, calmly explain how you feel about it to him and your mother, and that you feel since it was your own money that they should at least buy you new ones to replace it, if this does not work, be the bigger man and forget it, games and money should not come before family and learning,......................................why do I sound like an adult when I say this?????? uggg I AM GETTING OLD!!!!!!!