Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Folks,

I'd just like to get your thoughts on this game.
I've given it up and gone back to Wizards and Warriors after completing the 3rd ward in chapter 1.
The Gameplay is Soooooooo linear, it's like playing a console game. I also didn't like just having one character, I really enjoyed setting up and tinkering with a whole party in BG1 and BG2.
On the plus side, I liked the spell effects and the ability to "swoosh" the camera around.
But, the game just didn't "grab" me and it is very buggy, lots of problems with quest items and with the Backsmith, for me anyway.
I'm going to finish W&W and wait for Icewind 2 to be released (not available here yet).
Any thoughts?.

[ 10-04-2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]
Old 10-04-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm enjoying the first chapter personally, but I have read that things improve quite a bit in the second chapter.

Only having 1 character did take some getting used to because of BG, but after you get used to it, it's kind of cool. I'm started to enjoy the hireling because I know what I'd do with them but believe it's a bit more realistic to have to rely on their decisions for your backup.

It's just a different concept.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:25 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

As far as buggy play, I haven't had any problems, but I've played almost entirely under the 1.24 patch
Old 10-04-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ya, I didnt like not controlling a party to, but am getting use to only having to worry about me. It is more realistic to. I do wish I could give my henchman a better weapon, but thats his problem I guess.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:31 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
I do wish I could give my henchman a better weapon, but thats his problem I guess.
I also wish I could give him/her a weapon. Not equip it for them, but just give it, and if it's better/more appropriate than what they're using, they would use it instead. That way they could share in the "spoils of war".

Only controlling one character made me put much more thought into my guy than I would have if I'd have been creating or controlling 6.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:28 PM   #6
perk31
Manshoon

I thought the game play was very linear throughout but I suppose that is needed when you are trying to tell a story. The game really shines in multiplayer though and if you can get a good group together with a good DM who knows the dm client in the game you can have a blast. Check out http://www.neverwinterconnections.com.

If you want to have a few more options with your henchman, such as managing their inventory, check out the henchman scripts at bioware's website.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:31 AM   #7
Guenhwyvar & Catti-brie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had started to get bored in Chapter 1. But I decided to stick with it. I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad I did. I am really enjoying Chapter 2, and can't wait to get to the next chapters. Just try it again (with new or same character). It is definitely a Love or Hate game.
Guenhwyvar & Catti-brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:24 PM   #8
sep257
Dungeon Master

I love this game. Should have called it "NeverSleepAgain" haha. Im definatley hooked and im only on chapter one, and havent even opened up multiplayer yet.