Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've been having problems getting W&W to work on my XP machine ever since I upgraded to DirectX 9.0C. I even managed to get Windows Explorer to crash if I went in to certain directories [img]smile.gif[/img]

I upgraded to the latest video drivers, reinstalled W&W (several times, in fact), and had no luck. In the process, I deleted my last roster.dat so I had to start a new party. Double But even then, I couldn't get out of Valeia...

Tonight, I shut down all my protection (Spybot, ZoneAlarm, Popup Killer, and more) prior to playing. Sure enough, the game worked just fine! Live was (and is) wonderful

I also discovered something new that I haven't done, thought of, or seen before. After running down the stairs in the crypt, past the hole where they've collapsed, I turned around and noticed that the top of the stairs wasn't too far away. So I backed up a couple of steps, started running, and jumped back over the hole to the top of the stairs. Success! Now this low-level party can quickly run back to Valeia any time they need to, even though they haven't finished off F'lokis Ra yet

Life's good... just thought I'd share.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:51 AM   #2
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Congrats, B!

The trick with that move in W&W's amazing physics system is to park yourself on that slightly elevated slab (You know how you can walk up the stairs just so much until you get stopped? Well, give it a short hop to get up onto that ledge).

Then look up at ~45 degrees, hold down your Run key, and Forward / Jump at the same time.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:16 AM   #3
Radek
Red Dragon

Winblows is Faust House. You never know what will happen next and which evil will descend through which hole in the ceiling, why, and how.

An example. I wasn't able to move objects for a long time. Also, I had serious problems with using keys, the pick axe, and the similar objects.
Then, suddenly, all problems had gone! For some unknown reason, I can play W&W without crashes on using and moving objects again! I have even stopped saving the game before I try to shift a crate or a chest a bit! I can move the light obelisks in the Anephas Shrine (completely unpossible before) for example.
Note that I haven't installed anything, removed, upgraded or patched anything, or changed anything in the system! I am not connected to the web! What evil has decided to leave and why is a mystery for me.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Jumping the broken stairs is a classic. It can easily be done.

And Stackman recommends placing a crate over the gap. Then one just has to jump unto the gate and one can walk over the gap.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Excellent!!!

Glad to hear that you're roaming Gael Serran once again!

I do recall trying jumping back up those stairs in the crypt. I know in my first game it seemed impossible which was more a matter of having not yet mastered movement within the game. In later games with experienced parties, well there just wasn't a great need to jump those stairs.

Tell us about your newest party of adventurers!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #6
jsalsb
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
I've been having problems getting W&W to work on my XP machine ever since I upgraded to DirectX 9.0C.
Glad all's well again!!

I remember you mentioned in a previous post the name of some system utility you could run from the "run" in the start menu that would tell you what version of DirectX you had installed. could you please (pretty please!) remind me?

thanks!!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That would be dxdiag, Jon. It's actually a DirectX utility, and quite handy. It does take a while to start up, though, since it's checking specs on everything in your system (well, almost everything).

This party is a classic combo in my eyes... three warriors, two wizards, and a priest. Warriors are human, whiskaz, and rattling. Priests are elven and pixie (whaddayamean, no pixies allowed!). Priest is an oomphaz. I'll have to write down their names tonight when I play so I can add in those details.

So far, they've been dawdling a bit so everyone can get their stats up to join all guilds. Yes, I'm guild-hopping. Everyone's in the warriors guild now, so we've completed the first quest there. All but Bloodrunt, the rattling warrior, have the first Temple quest as well. We'll be running off to find Mekdawa shortly

And two of the warriors (Bloodrunt and the Whiskaz warrior, whose name escapes me) have become barbarians. The beginning of the crypt is a great place to find something to kill... got up to 20 each in no time. Time for some lockpicking skills... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
jsalsb
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
That would be dxdiag, Jon. It's actually a DirectX utility, and quite handy. It does take a while to start up, though, since it's checking specs on everything in your system (well, almost everything).
Thanx!!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:58 PM   #9
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Hum... Bungleau... will the warriors stay warriors and the mages stay mages?... or will there be drastic role changes?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I usually end up with quite a few career changes, so the odds are that everyone is going to do something else. The warriors are already switching to barbarians, and the priest may change to paladin soon (since he's got Cure Poison already). The mages will stay mages until they get their level 7 spells.

My parties tend to go through a few class changes... like all of them.
-+-+-+