Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Connection problems with NWN1

I am running NWN on my regular PC and I play online quite a bit. I've recently gotten a second PC and hooked it up via router to the first. But when I try to logon with the backup PC, I get nothing. Sometimes I can't even see the gamespy site. I've tried direct connecting when it does appear, but that doesn't work either.

I've checked the firewall settings as per some tech advice from other sites. I finally disabled the firewall completely, but still no luck.

I would greatly appreciate any advice that could offer a solution to this problem.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Connection problems with NWN1

Probably an internal firewall issue. You may have just disabled your windows (or zonealarm etc.) firewall but your isp has one too, and you gotta sometimes mess around with ports and lay them open before you can connect or before others can connect to you. Basically it's rendering you invisible.

That said, gamespy should be a nuetral ground, since it uses ports that are usually open. If you know how to create a server using the NWserver program then it gets easier as you can directly connect without going through the publicity of the built-in gamespy client at all. I know this isn't a direct solution but it's somewhere to start looking. Afterward, i'd double check the obvious settings such as "show in server list" etc. Many a time have I accidentally left these unchecked, and spent time searching for a server I cannot see.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Elif Godson
Dracolich

are you connecting through the other pc as a gateway (through office setup) or are you using a completely separate port on the router/hub to connect with?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elif Godson View Post
are you connecting through the other pc as a gateway (through office setup) or are you using a completely separate port on the router/hub to connect with?
Well, I'll have to confess - the setup isn't really mine. I was asking on behalf of a friend.

The MMORPG server I play on is run by a married couple. The server is run from the wife's computer and the husband's PC is hooked/linked to it through a router. For some reason, his PC will no longer access their server OR the gamespy website at all. He can't join the game through LAN, it doesn't show up as an option even when he does get gamespy up and he cannot even direct connect to his own server.

The wife has read through tech support offered by Bioware and techies on the forum, with no luck. She has made several adjustments to the firewall settings and even disabled the firewall completely - still no access for hubby.

So they are in a sad way.